Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 8:35:32 PM EDT
Went to an indoor range today and my throat is killing me. Only went through about 3-400 rounds, and my lungs and throat are smoked. That has never happened. Same with my buddy who was with me. I was shooting Winchester Q3131 55 grain. At least my ARs ran fine, as did his Ruger AC556. Did a couple full auto mag dumps with his Ruger, maybe that did it. Hmmmm. Anybody have this problem?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Sounds like their ventilation wasn't working right.  I believe there are usually pretty strict requirments for that kind of stuff for indoor ranges.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The indoor range that I used to go to in Michigan prided themselves on their air filtration system. You couldn't even smell the power burning on days when the range was packed. Some places spend the money, some places don't.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I was wondering about the ventilation also. I have not had that problem at this range before. Not the best range in the world though. But they allow full auto, so....
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for the venthilation. That could get pretty dangerous if it was bad enough to leave you feeling it later in the day.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:37:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Their ventilation-fu is weak.  Must have been pretty bad if you still felt it much later in the day.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:41:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The indoor range that I used to go to in Michigan prided themselves on their air filtration system. You couldn't even smell the power burning on days when the range was packed. Some places spend the money, some places don't.

+1

And I've been to a place where I was hawking up gunpowder-flavored loogeys the rest of the afternoon...

I went once, haven't been back.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:44:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Bitch ... Bitch ... Bitch ....

Someone call the WAAAAAAAAA-mbulance.

Any day at the range is a good day.  Suck it up!

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:46:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I can still feel it this morning. I have a cough and a slight weez when I breathe in. Damn. It's the feeling you get when a cold is just coming on, and there is that tickle in your throat that you just can't seem to clear.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:47:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Bitch ... Bitch ... Bitch ....

Someone call the WAAAAAAAAA-mbulance.

Any day at the range is a good day.  Suck it up!

Yeah, I know. thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I can still feel it this morning. I have a cough and a slight weez when I breathe in. Damn. It's the feeling you get when a cold is just coming on, and there is that tickle in your throat that you just can't seem to clear.

If it persists, I might check out the doc. I wold also try to gargle with some salt water or alcohol, as that might help if it is just a sore throat.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Killingmachine123.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I have yet to go to an indoor range that had good enough ventilation for me to be comfortable. There is lead in gunsmoke, which is bad mmmmm'kay? I shoot exclusively outdoors.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I go to an indoor range that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I think they do it just to increase pop sales to wash out your mouth.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#14]
maybe they just forgot to turn the air system on
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#15]
What did  it feel like?  If you couldn't feel a breeze at your back, the ventilation is not up to snuff.  There are pretty good requirements for the number of change overs required (air change overs per hour).  We have an IAQ (Indoor air quality) group who test stuff like that.

All I know is the indoor range I have used in the past did not heat the make-up air.  Indoor was damn cold in the winter.....

Dan
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Thinking back on it, the ventilation was probably off, or just cranked way down. What got me was the ammonia type smell. Like inhaling chlorine. And don't get me wrong, I love to hit the range, I just never had this happen. So, I probably will stay away from that range until it gets to cold outside.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh no.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Oh no.

Oh yeah
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#19]
If you also have/had a sweet taste in your mouth...

they have amajor problem at that range.  Go else where to shoot!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you also have/had a sweet taste in your mouth...

they have amajor problem at that range.  Go else where to shoot!!!

+1

Worked at a shop with 2 rifles lanes 17 pistol lanes an 8 lane moving target tac range and a 5 lane pop up tac range.
If one left off the exhausts for even 5 minutes, you could taste it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
maybe they just forgot to turn the air system on

Or possibly their filters are clogged.

In a properly designed and working indoor range, the air should enter the range behind you, go forward toward the backstop (taking fumes and airborne particles away from you), and exit the range in the backstop area.

You should continually feel a slight breeze and, if any smoke is visible, it should be seen moving in a downrange direction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top