Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2005 8:26:30 PM EDT
Ok, i just naile d a whole bottle of red wine soe please bare with me.

My theory is that women do not get dressed up, and wear tonns of make-up to impress men, as much as they do so in fear of being judged by other women.
what are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#1]
i think they do it to make men jealous
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You guys will drive yourselves nuts trying to figure out why women do what they do. Just enjoy them and try not to think about it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#3]
It completely depends on the situation.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Both.

Women love attention, and when they see that men and women look at them because they are showing off their (best) features, they get vindication that they are still good looking and can get what they want - be it sex, a head to turn, flirting, money, etc.

They will say that they dress up or show off for themselves because it makes them feel good, which is correct - but they feel good because others are looking at them. So the next time a woman gives you a dirty look for checking her out when she's "dressed to impressed" (forgive me) tell her to fuck off and wear a bathrobe if she doesn't want to be looked at.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#5]
It took a bottle of wine for you figure that out???  

Keep drinking and you might get to other startling revelations such as the correct answer to 'Does this make my butt too big?" before you pass out.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Women dress up to feel important.

Sadly.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Women dress up to feel important.

Sadly.

I predict that you will regret saying that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#9]
wife said both and for themselves
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I just had this conversation with my GF yesterday. YES, they have a competition going on between each other. They want the hottest hand bags, sunglasses, clothes and accessories.

That is what she told me anyways.

Oh and the shoes, gawd the shoes......
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#11]
both...cause if they don't hook up that night, they made someone doubt themselves at least.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You guys will drive yourselves nuts trying to figure out why women do what they do. Just enjoy them and try not to think about it.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Women get dressed up so men will drink too much wine and beer and whisky, so they can yell at us and call us idiots.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this except to say I'm going to go get a beer.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I dress up for ME.  Nobody else.  I couldn't give a crap what everybody else thinks, really.  If I think I look good, it's all that matters. <shrug>

Congratulations, welcome to the .00001% of women who don't obsess over the opinions of other women.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#15]
No.  That's fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:03:18 AM EDT
[#16]
FWIW, many moons ago, the actress Angie Dickinson said, "I dress for women, I undress for men."
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:04:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Thats a big +1
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:42:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I dress up for ME.  Nobody else.  I couldn't give a crap what everybody else thinks, really.  If I think I look good, it's all that matters. <shrug>

If you were the only person on earth, would you still dress up for yourself?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:12:31 AM EDT
[#19]
tagged
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:20:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Honestly, and I don't mean to sound offensive or condescending, i think they are far simpler than you think.

I've been able to figure out most women I've met by just understanding insecurity....
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:37:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:39:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:14:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Whats funny is to watch a woman who sees other women.  They will look a woman up and down from head to toe (when the other one is not looking) and then if they are with someone, they will either make a face or whisper soemthing to them about the woman.  If they are alone, they may just make a face.  I love to just sit in a crowded restaurant or mall and watch this.  Hours of good clean fun...ok...I need a better life.

Essayons
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:20:26 AM EDT
[#24]
A sensible woman will dress for efficiency, often sewing extra pockets in her housecoat to carry scrub-brushes, cleaners & towels, dressing not for other women, but secure in the knowledge that successful completion of her daily chores will win the approval of her man.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:23:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Remember this. "Men are what they do, women are how they look."

You put a group of men together, and 5 minutes later they are talking about work." I manage 5 salesmen at a Major Widget Concern"

You put a group of wimmens together and 5 minutes later."My that is a cute blouse, is that from Ann Taylor?

jj
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:28:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't know, but my best guess is it HAS to be either for themselves or for other women.

It sure as hell isn't for us. They know we don't care what they're wearing. We just want what's underneath. So in my opinion, less is more here ladies.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:30:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
A sensible woman will dress for efficiency, often sewing extra pockets in her housecoat to carry scrub-brushes, cleaners & towels, dressing not for other women, but secure in the knowledge that successful completion of her daily chores will win the approval of her man.

You Sir,are my new hero! Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top