Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2005 8:09:47 PM EDT
So I'm having a relaxing eveing watching Mythbusters when i notice it's starting to get a little warm in the house.  I go check the thermostat and it says it's 82° in here and the "Filter" light is flashing.  No problem, maybe the system shut off because it knows the filter needs to be changed (damn these things are getting smart).  No problem, change the filter in the attic and go back down to the thermostat.

Ah, I hear the fan kick on so it should be comfortable in here in no time.  A few minutes later, the temperature still isn't dropping so I stick my hand in front of a vent.  Hmm, air is moving but it doesn't seem cold.

Open the back door to go check the unit and I immediately smell electrical fire.  I grab a pair of wireman's pliers and go check the A/C unit.  Sure as shit, one of the exterior panels is scortched and the thing is humming like mad so I snip the power immediately.

Yes, I know I should be glad that the back of my house didn't catch on fire.  I'm still pissed though!  

Anyone know a good HVAC guy in the Memphis area?

E-95
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#1]
At least you have had AC.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, you don't have A/C in MI?  Is that common?  I know my relatives in Chicago all have A/C.

E-95
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#3]
At least it didn't cost you a leak test and fill.....

Be happy it didn't freeze up.....then you would have major issues.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I can't see how I'm not going to have to replace the whole unit.  I know next to nothing about A/C units but the following diagram is similar to mine:

The cutaway section on the top right looks like it houses the same components in mine that are burned the f**k up.

E-95
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe a capacitor said bye bye?

I've seen contacts blow up before, but not sure fromt that drawing what exactly that cylinder is.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've seen contacts blow up before, but not sure fromt that drawing what exactly that cylinder is.

My guess also.  Motor run/start cap
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's the unit in question:

Is it going to live (I'm thinking I might as well start digging its grave)?

I know, I could have flipped the breaker but that could have taken more time.  The back door is about 30ft. from the AC and since I smelled it as soon as I stepped out I wanted to make sure I could de-energize it ASAP.

E-95
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Glad your house didnt catch on fire!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dude, you don't have A/C in MI?  Is that common?  I know my relatives in Chicago all have A/C.

E-95

You almost have to have it in Chicago. 100° summers with nearly 100% humidity.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My guess also.  Motor run/start cap

Seeing the pic... It might be savable - I'm not sure....

E-95 I would wonder if the motor was fried in that explosion or not.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Whoa !!  

That's some serious damage.  Thank God you are now complaining about a burnt-out unit, and not posting from a hotel room complaining about a burnt-down house and total loss!!

When you find out how much it's going to cost, keep reminding yourself of just how much worse it could have been, and count your blessings!!!

Good luck - hopefully it's fixable.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#13]
You should have smashed it to bits with a fire ax.   Will your Homeowners insurance cover it?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You should have smashed it to bits with a fire ax.   Will your Homeowners insurance cover it?

What?  Him smashing his A/C unit with a fire ax?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, I am very glad that my house didn't catch.  I've seen all too often what fire does and I'm counting my blessings right now.

I haven't opened up any of the other access panels so I don't know if there is any additional damage inside.  I popped a dry powder extinguisher on it to make sure it was out after I took the photo.  I'll also have to check tomorrow with the insurance company but I somehow doubt that it is covered.  From past experiences, I have little faith in insurance companies to do anything but collect my premiums.

E-95
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a good question.  Since I'm a firefighter, if I broke open my own A/C unit with a forcible entry tool to check for hot spots would insurance cover the repair cost?  They would if I did it at any other house during the performance of my duties.

E-95
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

E-95

No it is not that common to go without AC up here. I think that this has been the hottest summer I can remember now surpassing that of the summer of 88'. It blows, but I live for cheap with one of my  friends, and our place needs a lot of things before it needs AC.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a good question.  Since I'm a firefighter, if I broke open my own A/C unit with a forcible entry tool to check for hot spots would insurance cover the repair cost?  They would if I did it at any other house during the performance of my duties.

E-95

Call one of your buddies over, have him say he did it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:39:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Is that a Goodman Compressor Unit?  A friend and I just installed one along with an airhandler this weekend.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

E-95

No it is not that common to go without AC up here. I think that this has been the hottest summer I can remember now surpassing that of the summer of 88'. It blows, but I live for cheap with one of my  friends, and our place needs a lot of things before it needs AC.

Yea, I know what you mean.  Unfortunately, A/C isn't an optional item down here unless you like heat stroke.  

E-95
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

E-95

You shoulda called an on duty buddy to come over with a truck and hose it down, just to make sure the fire was all the way out.  Then get a tow rope and drag it the 40 feet back to it's original location.
God I love overkill conversations.

I'm tempted to call an on duty buddy right now to come hose me down!  I'm sitting here dripping sweat waiting for the HVAC guy to get here.  Every window is open and there's not a stir of wind in this 90° house.  

E-95
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yes, I am very glad that my house didn't catch.

Hey Bud - how embarrassing would that have been to have been posting over in the "Brothers"
forum: "You ain't going to believe this shit!"

Seriously though, glad that you caught it before it flared. BTDT!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#24]

That'll learn you to take initiative and change a filter.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey Bud - how embarrassing would that have been to have been posting over in the "Brothers"

Hey Tanker06, how's it been bud!  

No embarrassing would have been when I was stuck in an elevator between floors.  The Dover guy on the elevator phone asked if I wanted to have him call FD or call the Dover technician (5 minute response vs. 2 hour response).  I knew every guy on all three shifts on the first due engine so I opted to have the technician let me out and took a little nap.  

The A/C guy just left.  Looks like I'll be out around $1,800 for a new unit.  Glad he's a friend of the family or I'd have been really screwed.  Looks like my little lady will have to wait a little while longer before I buy the ring and pop the question.

E-95
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey Tanker06, how's it been bud!  

No embarrassing would have been when I was stuck in an elevator between floors.  The Dover guy on the elevator phone asked if I wanted to have him call FD or call the Dover technician (5 minute response vs. 2 hour response).  I knew every guy on all three shifts on the first due engine so I opted to have the technician let me out and took a little nap.  

The A/C guy just left.  Looks like I'll be out around $1,800 for a new unit.  Glad he's a friend of the family or I'd have been really screwed.  Looks like my little lady will have to wait a little while longer before I buy the ring and pop the question.

E-95

E-95,

I just installed a new 2.5 ton unit w/air handler on friday.  For never having done it before, it wasn't that difficult.  I had some experienced help (actually, I helped the experienced).  I think I could do it again by myself.  It is not that difficult.  FWIW, most AC contractors mark up the units a minimum of 100%.  If you know someone in the business, see if they will make a cash purchase for you.  A team member did me a favor.  I saved big $$$$.  Well over $1000 less than what you have been quoted.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#27]
If you cut power by clipping a 220v with wirecutters instead of the circuitbreaker your lucky you don't need a little re-wiring yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top