Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/14/2005 7:53:38 PM EDT
At what price point will you make drastic adjustments in your driving?  By "drastic" I mean:

- Trade in a vehicle for one that gets better mileage,
- Move your home closer to work to reduce your commute,
- Change jobs to reduce fuel expenditures,
- etc.

Poll coming...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm already there.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't swap vehicles.  I need a truck, but I make one quarter as many trips as I used to.  If I make a normal trip, I can't afford to buy anything at the end.  

I don't go camping or wheeling much anymore.  Outdoor used to be my cheap good life.  Now it is cheaper to do almost anything else.  But then, I can't afford to do anything.  

Seriously though, the only other vehicle I could get is a motorcycle, but I aint suicidal.  Yet.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Bout time to buy a bike and either a 00+ Grand Prix 3.1l or a Honda Accord.

Good thing I'll be where gas is $0.40/gallon for the next 2 years.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a highly efficient vehicle whenver I can: my motorcycle.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Bout time to buy a bike and either a 00+ Grand Prix 3.1l or a Honda Accord.

Good thing I'll be where gas is $0.40/gallon for the next 2 years.

Iraq?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Seriously though, the only other vehicle I could get is a motorcycle, but I aint suicidal. Yet.

Try living a little instead of cowering from things you think of as "scary".
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
It's getting close to $2.45 here... and I'm keeping an eye on my fuel economy.  I'm glad I live only 2 miles from work, so I can get by only driving 8-10 miles a day if I go out for lunch.  

I changed my oil this weekend, and removed and cleaned my air filter.  It's a K&N, and it NEEDED cleaning.  BADLY.  

Recently I drove to Houston to visit a buddy, and back.  I drove a couple days and then filled up.  My tank was pretty much empty (I was in the reserve), and I only got 330 miles on that.  I should have gotten over 400.   Hopefully the clean filter will help quite a bit.  

I'm going to try to consolidate my trips, try to stop at places I need to stop at on my way home from work, etc.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#8]
honda civic......$20/month
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#9]
i ride my bike alot more.  i get real hot, but i am in better shape.  i can make it most places in my town pretty quickly riding my bike.  going on grocery runs is kinda tough though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
honda civic......$20/month

lol Im going the wrong way. I just bought a truck with a V10 today. As long as I'm driving toward bankruptcy I might as well be pulling a travel trailer, boat and a 4 wheeler.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#11]
i'm thinkning about buying a horse & buggy
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#12]
No problem here, I only fill up once every 3 months or so with light driving. I've filled up twice this summer though, once I get to school I should have enough diesel to last the whole semester.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I fill up two to three times a week, this shit is killing me.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Any 'driving' is reviewed before hand for overlapping errands.This is a TAX raising ritual by.gov
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I have already changed my driving habits. I am much more efficient too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Honda Civic, baby. Normally I buy maybe two tanks a month. I can go a month in a pinch.

And, by the way, I don't give a shit if it gets dinged. You guys should try the $2K econobox
route. It's really liberating, and the cheapest car always has the right of way. Unless the
other guy is driving a rental.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#18]
i went yesterday and started looking.but what i would lose on my truck.i will keep it.

03 f-150 with 21000 excellent condition.trade in was only $9000.i'll keep my truck.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#19]
$55-60 a week in gas right now. I dont make enough money to afford a new car, and I wont trade my truck in cause its a huge money pit with all of the mods I have done to it the last 7 years. I love it too much. So I will just suffer.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm more a/c conscious now, but as far as actual driving habits, nothing has really changed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I recently started paying for my OWN gas, because typically I'd just use my dad's gas card... but I've decided in these times he's paying enough on his own, so now I use it for emergencies ONLY.

Today I calculated how the gas prices have changed since I started college.  The first I remember paying for gas on my own was about $1.10 (yeah, not that long ago...), so that's what - $15.40 for a 14-gal tank?  Now we're here at about $2.35, and that's $32.90.  Fuuuck.  

I already have stopped going for drives to "clear my head" like I used to.  I can live with going crazy if it saves money haha.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Geeze.  You guys are doing very well on the whole gas cost thing.

I am budgeting 250 a month on gas right now.  Of course I own a Ram 2500, but even then its a diesel and I get better milage on its worst day then I did with my Dakota on its best day.  Thing is my hobby is motorcycle road racing so I need the truck and cant get rid of it, but trust me as soon as I can aford it I am getting a Jetta TDI.  45+ MPG
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#23]
done.

I used to go crusing around alot, I definately dont do that anymore.

I pretty much only drive when I need to go to work, school, or need to go shopping for something.

I've been thinking about trying the bus to go to work, havent done that yet, maybe in another $.50 to $1.00.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I changed a couple things.  My tires are all inflated to the maximum rated pressure plus 2 pounds, I drive w/the sunroof cracked and the driver's side window cracked instead of having the air on and the windows open (stupid, I know), I don't speed anymore, I emptied the junk out of my trunk, radio is still always on 'cause it barely uses any juice compared to the AC...

Also, I park at the first spot I find and walk the rest of the way to my destination instead of driving around a parking lot for 10-15 minutes looking for a three-second shorter walk, I buy as much as I can locally so I don't have to drive 20 miles for everything, and even then I walk a little rather than drive a lot.

I ride a motorcycle, so if I have a fairly long distance to travel and I don't need to carry stuff with me I ride my bike (50MPG) rather than drive my car (35-40MPG) for the marginal gas savings.  Even on a 40-50 mile trip it only saves a few ounces of gas rather than gallons, but I figure every little bit adds up.

I ride my bicycle as much as is practical.  Obviously I can't ride to work and show up all sweaty, so I bring a change of clothes and shower up when I get there (I'm lucky to have a shower facility at work I can use for free).

Most of these things are the most minor of inconveniences and I hardly notice them at all.  They became a habit with a tiny bit of willpower.  I notice with some aggravation when my friends circle the parking lot for literally ten minutes looking for a spot that is a five second shorter walk.  And, I notice when people are accelerating all the way up to the moment when they jam on the brakes in city driving.  I like to coast to a stop if I can and it's not pissing off everyone in sight.  These driving habits are what get me the 35-40MPG rather than the 25-30 I used to get.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#25]
We are seriously looking at a GEM Car.  I'm driving a '96 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the Magnum engine and it is costing me plenty just to get to work and back (8 miles, one way in L.A. traffic).  My gasoline is running about $40.00+ a week, plus $8.00 a week in parking!!  We use our Honda CRV 4 cylinder on all other excursions.  The GEM would be to work and back, costing pennies in electricity, plus the city allows free parking at meters for low emission vehicles.

We almost went this route two years ago, but the technology was not there yet.

Eric  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#26]
in june last year, gas was $1.85 nationally.  now it is $2.50.  if i took a 1000 mile round trip vacation, it cost me $32.50 more than last year for gas @20mpg.  there are sheeple complaining they are staying home for labor day weekend because of this.  get real, do the math AND START COMPLAINING ABOUT SPENDING $50 A GALLON FOR COFFEE AT STARBUCKS!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I've changed my driving habits alot....no more road trips unless necessary, staying with the econobox instead of trading in on a larger one, eliminating unnecessary driving everywhere I can.

I live 40 miles from work, so driving is unavoidable, but I'm trying to make it less painful at the pump. I don't know how people fuel these F350 supa trucks, it'd kill me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:16:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I just sold my '87 Grand National if that's any indication
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't really drive anywhere but back and forth to work anyway.  I have always tried to make my stops on the way home.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:04:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
in june last year, gas was $1.85 nationally.  now it is $2.50.  if i took a 1000 mile round trip vacation, it cost me $32.50 more than last year for gas @20mpg.  there are sheeple complaining they are staying home for labor day weekend because of this.  get real, do the math AND START COMPLAINING ABOUT SPENDING $50 A GALLON FOR COFFEE AT STARBUCKS!

Ok, I did the math.  At my milage and MPG I am spending $15,600 more a year with your gas price costs.

It may be time to do something for my personal well being.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:06:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Bought a bicycle.

Does that count?

max
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:14:35 AM EDT
[#32]
I've already changed my driving habits.  This time last year I was making at least one 150 mile round trip every other week to visit friends.  Sometimes two every week.

I've only been to their place twice in the last 8 months.

Pretty much stay at home and stare at the walls these days.  Can't afford to go much anywhere.  Used to drive 40 miles to a nice theater every week.  Can't do that now.

We're going to be selling our car and hopefully picking up a small 4 cylinder Toyota to help out on long trips.  I'd like to sell my SUV, but I doubt I could get what I need out of it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:21:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Already looking at trading in my Dodge Dakota R/T.  She's fast, but the 5.9L V8 is killing me here in Dallas.  And you can only go as fast as the morning traffic lets you, which is painfully slow

Looking at getting an econobox for the 1st time ever.  Honda or Yoda, not sure which yet... Hate the idea of not having a truck but looking to  get married in the next year and girlfriend just got a new SUV.  How long till someone makes a hybrid truck?

EPOCH  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:23:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I've already changed my driving habits.  This time last year I was making at least one 150 mile round trip every other week to visit friends.  Sometimes two every week.

I've only been to their place twice in the last 8 months.

Pretty much stay at home and stare at the walls these days.  Can't afford to go much anywhere.  Used to drive 40 miles to a nice theater every week.  Can't do that now.

We're going to be selling our car and hopefully picking up a small 4 cylinder Toyota to help out on long trips.  I'd like to sell my SUV, but I doubt I could get what I need out of it.

+1

used to make road trips to visit family in south texas about once every 2 months.  I haven't been back home in over 6 months now.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:30:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Where I work, certain people aren't allowed to enter the building until 6am.  I get there at 5:15 (I have a key and am allowed access) and some of these morons are sitting there already in the first parking spots, with their engines running and leave it running until they are allowed into the building.  They do this EVERY DAY, whether it's 20, 50, 70, or 90 degrees outside.

Dumbasses.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#36]
btt
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:42:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Combining more trips than I used to, saves a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:59:55 AM EDT
[#38]
How can I change my driving habits when I only drive to and from work?

AB
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:04:43 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
How can I change my driving habits when I only drive to and from work?

AB

Buy a new vehicle, move closer to work, change jobs, take public transportation, etc.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:06:07 AM EDT
[#40]
This weekend, I decided to park my Durango.  My wife and I are now commuting to work together in her car.  No more alone time
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I'm already there.

+1
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:06:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#43]
$2.00 a gallon.  Yep, I already have.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#44]
my car is payed for and at 15 MPG it hurts but i can's see trading it in for one that get's 30 MPG but costs me $500.00 a month.  plus insurance and all.  the 4x4 Dodge is the bug out truck so i would not trade it in on another used car.
at what cost?  2000-5000 to close on the new house?  plus paying more a month
i am working on that.  my big grip is the 1 hour it takes me to drive 30 miles.  
- etc.
i am thinking of becoming a highway man.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#45]
How about Americans organize and do something about the gas price ripoff?
We just suck it up as the gas co.'s enjoy record profits.
Oh yea, free enterprise.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:22:59 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
At what price point will you make drastic adjustments in your driving?  By "drastic" I mean:

- etc.

Poll coming...

A friend is selling his Grand marquis for a new Dodge 2500 diesel pickup. I told him that the $40k he paid is good for about 20 years of gas for my Crown vic. He said, not if the gas prices are $3/gal. I told him that would change it to roughly 8 years worth of gas. If it comes to that, I will switch to a diesel car when they come out, which can get 40-50 mpg even on B100.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:25:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Gas here is currently around $2.30/gallon.  If it were to go above $3 I would change my driving habits.  If it were to go above $4 for a sustained period of time I would think of buying a new car.
I won't have to worry about either though b/c prices are peaking right now, and should begin to head back down in 3 or 4 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Gas [...] prices are peaking right now, and should begin to head back down in 3 or 4 weeks.

What's your evidence?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#49]
My S-10 (4.3L V6) gets about 20mpg.  But I live 6 miles from work, 2 miles from church, .5 miles from the grocery store, and Wal mart is on the way home from work each day.

Girlfriend is 15 miles away, but we are meeting in the middle.

All in all I am doing about $60-$80 a month in gas. (Northern VA prices)
When I start getting above $100 a month I'll start cutting back on "extra trips" ie gun stores, gun range.  Hey, that will save money all the way around
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gas [...] prices are peaking right now, and should begin to head back down in 3 or 4 weeks.

What's your evidence?

Summer driving season ends at Labor Day which is in 3 weeks?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top