Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2005 6:37:35 PM EDT
Do to the size of the living room, I can't fit my tall speakers and huge subwoofer and need to get a smaller setup.

I notice Bose has those small square speakers (set of 5) for about $1000 that would be perfect and actually sounded great, but wondered if there are others out there.

Sony had a set and so did some other manufactuer for about half the price but they did not sound very good.

Any suggestions on a setup for under $1500 that is small in size but sounds good?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to Circuit City and buy a set of speakers for a computer with a subwoofer already wired in for less than $100.  You'll be impressed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Bose...you'll love um, and they will last forever a long time.

-Derek
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Bose speakers are the most over rated speakers I've ever seen.  For the money, you are buying their advertising and name brand, not their quality.  I've been to several circuit city's where they had blown Bose speakers as demo models.

Your best bet is a Harman Kardon system, which I recently purchased.  The cost is $375 and the review can be found HERE.

Best prices are HERE.

You will NOT be disappointed!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Go to Circuit City and buy a set of speakers for a computer with a subwoofer already wired in for less than $100.  You'll be impressed.

Yes computer speakers are the way to go.  The set of speakers i have on my computer (DELL 8400) are louder and clearer then the "huge" speakers in my bedroom.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#5]
No highs, no lows....gotta be Bose
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Give me a Bose speaker, Harman Kardon, JBL, Sony...anything and I can almost guarantee you that I can get it to break. IMO Circuit City blowing Bose speakers is a moot point. All speakers have the possibility of braking. I’ve had several systems and none have sounded as good as my Bose. To each his own.

-Derek

Quoted:
Bose speakers are the most over rated speakers I've ever seen.  For the money, you are buying their advertising and name brand, not their quality. I've been to several circuit city's where they had blown Bose speakers as demo models.
Your best bet is a Harman Kardon system, which I recently purchased.  The cost is $375 and the review can be found HERE.

Best prices are HERE.

You will NOT be disappointed!

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd avoid sony
although I wasn't supposed to have to support them, I'd occasionally have to take a call for one of their surround systems.
for one thing they use a proprietary speaker wire connector (instead of the more standard spring loaded clips) and ship with short speaker cables
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Please, friends don't let friends buy Bose.  They do sound pretty good, but you can get a LOT better for the same or less money.

Try this website for more than you ever wanted to know about home theater: AVS Forums

For example, some people really like the sound of Paradigm speakers...

See HERE for more...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I use the BOSE system in my bedroom for surround sound and I'm happy with it. I didn't want huge ass speakers in the room.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top