Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2005 5:28:17 PM EDT
I'll bet they will have an interesting conversation...

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,165687,00.html

Bush Plans Bike Ride With Armstrong

Sunday, August 14, 2005

WACO, Texas — President Bush is getting plenty of bike time during his ranch vacation and next weekend he even gets to hit the trails with seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong.

Armstrong told ABC's "This Week" on Sunday that he'll travel to Crawford, Texas, next Saturday to ride mountain bikes with the president around Bush's ranch.

"It's a dream scenario for me," Armstrong said. "Now that President Bush doesn't run anymore, he rides his mountain bike fanatically. People wonder why he's stays at the ranch so long, it might be the mountain bike trails."

It also must be a dream scenario for Bush to ride with Armstrong, a fellow Texan and cancer survivor who last month won his most recent Tour de France. Bush has become an avid biker in the last couple of years, after a knee injury forced him to give up his jogging routine.

"Like a lot of baby boomers, my knees gave out," Bush explained to seven journalists who accompanied him on a two-hour ride Saturday. "And I believe that mountain biking is going to be an outlet for a lot of people my age. I'm 59, and people are going to realize you get as much aerobic exercise — if not more on the mountain bike — without being hobbled."

Bush said he considers exercise good preventive medicine and "part of living a disciplined life." He said he is trying to set an example to more Americans to exercise.

"What it takes is organization and discipline and setting priorities," Bush said. "And I think exercise ought to be one of the top priorities for Americans."

Bush said he prefers mountain biking to road biking, where riders often shave their legs and wear Lycra shorts. "There are certain things that age brings with it, and not wearing the formfitting Lycra short is one of them, if you know what I mean," Bush joked with the reporters.

Armstrong said although the president certainly couldn't whip him, he's impressed with how seriously Bush takes the his new sport.

"I know people who have ridden with him," Armstrong said. "I can tell you he's one very competitive guy. Very competitive, there's no talking. A few minutes of warm up time, a little chitchat, then you go."

Armstrong also spent some time during the Tour de France with Bush's former rival, 2004 Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry, who followed in a car during the final time trial. Armstrong said he's not taking sides in politics even though he's opposed to the war in Iraq.

"As a survivor, I think we would be better spending money on an illness like cancer," he said.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I think he is on some presidential committe for cancer right?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Armstrong also spent some time during the Tour de France with Bush's former rival, 2004 Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry, who followed in a car during the final time trial. Armstrong said he's not taking sides in politics even though he's opposed to the war in Iraq.

This should make for some very interesting conversation.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#3]
They should ride past the lady camping out side the presidents ranch and kick her in the face.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They should ride past the lady camping out side the presidents ranch and kick her in the face.

I'm sorry, that made me laugh.

ETA: I understand she lost a son in Iraq and that is not funny.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I doubt they'll talk about politics

and I have a feeling that if the lady's son could become a zombie he'd ride by and kick her
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont worry, I laughed too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+2.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Or rip a nasty ass chili dog fart as they go by
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I confess..I laughed too!  

May her son rest in peace.  Thank God for people like him.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm sure Sheryl Crow will probably be twisting his arm to ask some confrontational questions.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Why is he going to go on bike rides when he should be running the country? Last time I checked, our economy is slowily pulling out of a heavy resession (and can easily go back into one, if unchecked), a slumping USD, issues in Iraq, N.K. and Iran are being a-holes again, we have a 100% unprotected border...

I'm so happy he is enjoying his vacation...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why is he going to go on bike rides when he should be running the country? Last time I checked, our economy is slowily pulling out of a heavy resession (and can easily go back into one, if unchecked), a slumping USD, issues in Iraq, N.K. and Iran are being a-holes again, we have a 100% unprotected border...

Ah, another seminar poster from DU without a clue.  Hint, Congress is out of town, why not the President?

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

yes, how dare he.

the fucker shouldn't even be allowed to sleep.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Me too.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm sure Sheryl Crow will probably be twisting his arm to ask some confrontational questions.

I'm pretty sure those two aren't together anymore.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Let's see, Armstrong on left, Bush on the right.  Wire between them.  They ride past the protesting lady.  Hmmm.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#18]
The president only asked him there to find out how sheryl is in bed  without sheryl and the wife hearing.  What else are they going to talk about?   Lance and his retirement?????  Hell no.  I know what i would ask.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Wow!!  Please get an education.  The economy has not been in a recession.  The Fed has raised the federal funds reserve rate for the 10th time in 14 months.  The fed raises the rate to slow down the economy.  Raising the federal funds interest rate makes banks pay more for money, thus increasing their lending rates and slowing down spending.

If we were in a recession, the fed would be trying to make money cheap and lower the federal fund rate.

Our problems now are a slight upward pressure on inflation, which is mostly caused by energy prices.  

The macroeconomy is in an anti-inflation position right now...not worrying about recession yet.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.

his 'vacation' and our vacation are 2 VERY different things. He is still working, dont you remeber the energy bill he signed the other day? He still has daily security breifings etc.etc.

I wonder why you dont complain about congress being on vacation? Those clowns work less than any public official in DC
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

IM incoming...please come back and defend your points.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.

his 'vacation' and our vacation are 2 VERY different things. He is still working, dont you remeber the energy bill he signed the other day? He still has daily security breifings etc.etc.

I wonder why you dont complain about congress being on vacation? Those clowns work less than any public official in DC

You don't have sarcasm meter installed on your computer do you?

I REALLY do hope my President is enjoying his vacation.....he deserves it.

I promise he works harder than ANY of us.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I guess you consider shoving cigars up interns more like serious work.

Troll, go back to your save the whales rally.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Hell with cycling. Use a dirt bike when you pass the sea hag..
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

This should make for some very interesting conversation.

The war is over and we won. We are now engaged in the war on terror in Iraq.

Is Armstrong saying he's rooting FOR the terrorists??

Scott
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#26]
maybe Bush will turn him to the "dark side"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top