Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2005 5:18:16 PM EDT
Might have to make some phone calls to help this Marine out.  

IMHO, He's a hero and the A-Hole's he shot at probably deserved to be shot at.  What say you?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/14/AR2005081400953_pf.html

Marine Accused of Firing on Crowd in Mass.

The Associated Press
Sunday, August 14, 2005; 8:35 PM

LAWRENCE, Mass. -- A veteran recently named "Marine of the Year" for his service in Iraq was charged with attempted murder after firing a shotgun from his apartment window as a group of noisy revelers stood outside a nightclub, police said.

Two people were hit by bullet fragments and suffered minor injuries.

Daniel Cotnoir, 33, had called police minutes earlier to complain about the noise coming from the street shortly before 3 a.m. Saturday, The Lawrence Eagle-Tribune reported.

He later told authorities someone had thrown an empty bottle through his bedroom window and he feared for the safety of his wife and two daughters, who were home, the newspaper reported.

Cotnoir was being held on $100,000 bail and scheduled to be arraigned Monday.

"It was the craziest night of my life," said Kelvin Castro, 20, one of the two people injured. "I don't know what that guy's intentions were."

Cotnoir has frequently called police to complain about noise and fights outside the Punto Finale nightclub. Last year, police said, he claimed someone leaving the club had fired a gunshot at his apartment.

During his tour in Iraq last year, Cotnoir had been a military mortician responsible for preparing soldiers for open-casket funerals.

The job took a heavy psychological toll, he told the Eagle-Tribune in an interview last month after the Marine Corps Times named Cotnoir its "Marine of the Year," an award presented to him at a ceremony in Washington. At the time, he was getting counseling at a veterans hospital.

"It's a lot harder to talk about the job now than it was at the time to actually do it," Cotnoir told the newspaper then. "The stories I've gained from my deployment aren't the kind of stories you share."
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#1]
He's in mASSachussetts.  He hasn't got a chance.

In Texas they'd pin a medal on him.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Hero or not, you can't shoot out your window at people. Although it would be nice sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
He's in mASSachussetts.  He hasn't got a chance.

In Texas they'd pin a medal on him.

CRAWFORD, United States (AFP) - A frustrated local farmer fired shots into the air near hundreds of protestors who began their second week of demonstrations against the     Iraq war outside     President George W. Bush's ranch.

Larry Mattlage, who lives next to the Bush ranch where the president is spending a five week vacation, complained about the 200 protestors, media and government security officials occupying the road outside his own residence after firing a rifle into the air several times.

"Five weeks of this is too much. We live here, this is our community," Mattlage said in footage show by CNN television, while insisting the gunshots were just him "getting ready for dove season."

"I shot at a bird, and missed it a while ago," he said.

Asked if the gunshots had another message, Mattlage told reporters: "Figure it out for yourself."

An anti-war protest outside Bush's Prairie Chapel ranch, launched a week ago by Cindy Sheehan, the mother of a soldier killed in Iraq, has garnered heavy media attention as public opinion polls show a sharp decline in support for the Iraq war.

The demonstrators have planted some 500 white wooden crosses on the road to the Bush ranch, each with the name of a US soldier killed in Iraq, including Sheehan's son Casey.

They called the installation "Arlington in Crawford," a reference to the Arlington National Cemetary for soldiers in Washington.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hero or not, you can't shoot out your window at people. Although it would be nice sometimes.

True.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True.

+1
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you suggesting we should be on HIS side?

He fired a shotgun into a crowd outside his window.  They weren't rioting, they were waiting to get into a night club.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, they needed killing.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Marine of the year or not, that was stoopid.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Are you suggesting we should be on HIS side?

He fired a shotgun into a crowd outside his window.  They weren't rioting, they were waiting to get into a night club.

and throwing bottles through his window...

(not saying he was right, but keep things in context)

overall another -1 for mASSachusetts
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#10]
He is screwed.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Dumbass move.
I feel for his mental state and hope he gets help, but shooting at an unarmed and unthreatening crowd is insane.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#12]
They'll plead him down to non-felony assault?  That's what they would do on Law and Order.  

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#13]
He had no right to fire on the crowd unless they fired off a round themselves or were breaking into his home.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

IMHO, He's a hero and the A-Hole's he shot at probably deserved to be shot at.  What say you?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/14/AR2005081400953_pf.html

The Associated Press

LAWRENCE, Mass. -- A veteran recently named "Marine of the Year" for his service in Iraq was charged with attempted murder after firing a shotgun from his apartment window as a group of noisy revelers stood outside a nightclub, police said.

Daniel Cotnoir, 33, had called police minutes earlier to complain about the noise coming from the street shortly before 3 a.m. Saturday, The Lawrence Eagle-Tribune reported.

He later told authorities someone had thrown an empty bottle through his bedroom window and he feared for the safety of his wife and two daughters, who were home, the newspaper reported.

"It was the craziest night of my life," said Kelvin Castro, 20, one of the two people injured. "I don't know what that guy's intentions were."

Cotnoir has frequently called police to complain about noise and fights outside the Punto Finale nightclub. Last year, police said, he claimed someone leaving the club had fired a gunshot at his apartment.

During his tour in Iraq last year, Cotnoir had been a military mortician responsible for preparing soldiers for open-casket funerals.

The job took a heavy psychological toll, he told the Eagle-Tribune in an interview last month after the Marine Corps Times named Cotnoir its "Marine of the Year," an award presented to him at a ceremony in Washington. At the time, he was getting counseling at a veterans hospital.

"It's a lot harder to talk about the job now than it was at the time to actually do it," Cotnoir told the newspaper then. "The stories I've gained from my deployment aren't the kind of stories you share."

Some of you are missing the highlighted part up there. Can't say I would do the same thing, but I'd be doing SOMETHING if someone was throwing beer bottles through my window when my hypothetical wife and kids were at home.

-Storm
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#15]
It doesn't say that he fired the shotgun AT the crowd, it just says he fired a shotgun AS a crowd gathered. He might have just shot up in the air.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Dumbass move.
I feel for his mental state and hope he gets help, but shooting at an unarmed and unthreatening crowd is insane.

Yep.

BUT on another note, I say we go have a nice ARFCOM dove shoot with that old farmer and take the nastiest looking self defense shotties we got with our black rifles for finishing off any wounded.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Associated Press

Some of you are missing the highlighted part up there. Can't say I would do the same thing, but I'd be doing SOMETHING if someone was throwing beer bottles through my window when my hypothetical wife and kids were at home.

-Storm

Yes, we caught that.
One bottle from an unknown assailant DOES NOT require him to open fire, indiscriminantly, on a crowd of "partygoers".  The "something" he should have done would be to call the police and report it, while protecting his family from any further assaults.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm sorry that the guy had to live through what he did, but there is just no excuse for his actions.

3am + a nightclub called "Punto Finale" = time to move, not freak out and start shooting into a crowd.

"Punto Finale", what does that mean, the last fart?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm sorry that the guy had to live through what he did, but there is just no excuse for his actions.

3am + a nightclub called "Punto Finale" = time to move, not freak out

"Punto Finale", what does that mean, the last fart?

It means "Final Point" in Spanish.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Need to go well armed when venturing into Lawrence,it is a shithole.English is the second language there,if ya know what I mean

The "something" he should have done would be to call the police and report it, while protecting his family from any further assaults.

That would be like asking the police in Compton Ca to respond to a car alarm going off.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Let's think about this: Marine. In an apartment. Has a shottie. Crowd outside.

Does anyone seriously think that had he been trying to shoot AT THE CROWD that nobody would have been hit?

Didn't see anything in the article about any of the crowd being wounded...

(my guess? cranked off a round into the air - not right, but a darn sight different then aiming at the crowd)

JMO

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Does anyone seriously think that had he been trying to shoot AT THE CROWD that nobody would have been hit?

(my guess? cranked off a round into the air - not right, but a darn sight different then aiming at the crowd)

JMO

"Two people were hit by bullet fragments and suffered minor injuries."
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JMO

"Two people were hit by bullet fragments and suffered minor injuries."

opps, my bad...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like Delayed Stress Syndrome to me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#25]
he should have went midevil on them, dump a pot of boiling oil out the window.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Here is the link about his Award for "Marine of the Year"

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

agreed, his life was never in danger from the sound of it.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

-Storm

Yeah, I would close the window.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#30]
It's a shame he didn't have one of those experimental sound blasters they are making to disperse crowds.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#31]
bullet fragments -> shotgun?

pellet or slug fragments maybe.

Another well educated reporter...

I can see the headlines for tomorrow,

BAN DEADLY SHOTGUN BULLETS!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Storm

Yeah, I would close the window.

Sgat1r5

Through, as in breaking the window with a beer bottle.

Hard to close a window with no glass eh?

-Storm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top