Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2005 1:17:20 PM EDT
Or does anyone have plans to make one? You know, one of those 10,000 (or whatever) miles per gallon things.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Or does anyone have plans to make one? You know, one of those 10,000 (or whatever) miles per gallon things.

No, but I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota was going to.  The Sienna van IIRC is based heavily on the Camry, and Toyota is going to make a hybrid Camry next year.

If you want a hybrid SUV, Ford has a hybrid Escape, and next year Toyota is going to come out with a hybrid Highlander.

<--------------- person who has researched hybrids for a college speech.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota was going to.  The Sienna van IIRC is based heavily on the Camry, and Toyota is going to make a hybrid Camry next year.

If you want a hybrid SUV, Ford has a hybrid Escape, and next year Toyota is going to come out with a hybrid Highlander.

Okay, you've researched the subject. Are they worth it? Positives? Negatives? Wave of the future?

I gotta say that I love my Dodge Ram 4-door. But it sucks gas like a sponge! I was considering getting a hybrid (like a mini-van for travel purposes) as my wife's vehicle when we trade in her car in a couple of years. This gas thing is killing me!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, you've researched the subject. Are they worth it? Positives? Negatives? Wave of the future?

I gotta say that I love my Dodge Ram 4-door. But it sucks gas like a sponge! I was considering getting a hybrid (like a mini-van for travel purposes) as my wife's vehicle when we trade in her car in a couple of years. This gas thing is killing me!

Positives
-better gas mileage(given)
-pay less for gas

Negatives
-relatively new technology(no one can work on it except the dealer)
-concerns about long term life of battery pack(but the battery packs are warranted)

As part of my research, I talked to a friend of my mom's who owns a Toyota Prius, and he loves it.

The Prius is a 4 door sedan, and it's family sized.

The Honda Accord Hybrid might be suited to family driving, but if you don't want a sedan hybrid, the SUV hybrids might be your best bet.  But, you did say that you wre thinking about trading in in 2 years, so who knows what might happen.

Wave of the future? Definitely.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Ordinary minivan - 24 MPG
Hybrid minivan - maybe 34 MPG
How much will you really save in gas?
How long will you have to drive a hybrid to make up its extra purchase cost in gas savings?
Will it be as reliable over the long haul?

Ordinary minivan - Dirt-cheap to buy (especially used), available everywhere
Hybrid minivan - Will be pricy new (and unavailable used), if you can find one

Where's the big attraction?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#5]
All of you can hand in your Man Cards upon exiting the thread.

- BG
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, can you imagine that the entire rear (or equivalent of a boot/trunk) compartment is filled with batteries?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Negatives

That's the argument I don't get.  What's so new?  

IC engines?  Been around for over 100 years
Electric motors?  Been around for over 100 years
Batteries?  Been around for over 100 years
Computers?  Been around for over 60 years

What's so new?  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ordinary minivan - 24 MPG
Hybrid minivan - maybe 34 MPG
How much will you really save in gas?
How long will you have to drive a hybrid to make up its extra purchase cost in gas savings?
Will it be as reliable over the long haul?

Ordinary minivan - Dirt-cheap to buy (especially used), available everywhere
Hybrid minivan - Will be pricy new (and unavailable used), if you can find one

Where's the big attraction?

That's a good point.  They don't even make a hybrid minivan, so the MPG is just speculation.

Chevy makes a Silverado Hybrid, and in 4x4 it only gets 18 MPG.

But where's the attraction?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Negatives

What's so new?  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Negatives

What's so new?  

The "hybridization" technology is new.  Your average mechanic can work on a gas motor.  The hybrid can only be serviced at the dealer, and so few mechanics know about the technology.  

In the case of my friend, if he were to break down on the road, he'd have to get it towed to Toyota.  But roadside assistance and service are covered for free.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yep, can you imagine that the entire rear (or equivalent of a boot/trunk) compartment is filled with batteries?

Boggle?  What hybrid (that you can buy at a car dealership) has a "trunk full of batteries?"  Hell, I can't even FIND the HV battery in the back of my wife's Prius.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boggle?  What hybrid (that you can buy at a car dealership) has a "trunk full of batteries?"  Hell, I can't even FIND the HV battery in the back of my wife's Prius.

Maybe under the floor in the hatchback?

The "trunk" isn't filled with batteries.  Glof's Prius doesn't have a "trunk" as the 04-05 Prius was designed as a hatchback.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top