Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/14/2005 11:31:32 AM EDT
I live near where I grew up, and on days like today, rainy and nasty, it can be very boring for most people without hobbies. It is a cultural dead zone, the nearest thing to outdoor shopping and gun stores on a Sunday, or most other days for that matter is the local WalMart.

The bride and I traveled with work a lot when we were first married, but then the job brought us back here, and we decided to stay to be close to family. Big mistake. Sucked into every crisis or the day, family fight,petty jealousy, and love lost real life soap opera a hollywierd writer could ever hope for.

So now I have less than five years before I can retire from my job, three years left for the kid in high school, and he is going away to college somewhere, and it looks very much like the wife will lose her job of twelve years in the next year. Really, this is a blessing.

So now we are starting to look forward to the next step in our lives, and where it will take us. Prefer it to be far from here. A fresh start, fresh scenery, jobs we enjoy and the freedom to enjoy it. Question for us is where shall it be? We will always have our ties to home, our farm to come home to, and some family to visit if we want. But I don't want to die here.

So, why are you where you are at now, and would you change itif you could. Where would you go if you could be anywhere? Can you make the break??? Fullclip
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Close to my kids but far enough away the X won't be driving by.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I live near where I grew up, and on days like today, rainy and nasty, it can be very boring for most people without hobbies. It is a cultural dead zone, the nearest thing to outdoor shopping and gun stores on a Sunday, or most other days for that matter is the local WalMart.

The bride and I traveled with work a lot when we were first married, but then the job brought us back here, and we decided to stay to be close to family. Big mistake. Sucked into every crisis or the day, family fight,petty jealousy, and love lost real life soap opera a hollywierd writer could ever hope for.

So now I have less than five years before I can retire from my job, three years left for the kid in high school, and he is going away to college somewhere, and it looks very much like the wife will lose her job of twelve years in the next year. Really, this is a blessing.

So now we are starting to look forward to the next step in our lives, and where it will take us. Prefer it to be far from here. A fresh start, fresh scenery, jobs we enjoy and the freedom to enjoy it. Question for us is where shall it be? We will always have our ties to home, our farm to come home to, and some family to visit if we want. But I don't want to die here.

So, why are you where you are at now, and would you change itif you could. Where would you go if you could be anywhere? Can you make the break??? Fullclip

I'm going to Colorado, why don't you check it out?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Cos they banned guns in England
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#4]
its the closest place to a home I've ever really had.  and my nearest relative is in California
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Because Uncle Sam said I was going to Fort Bragg
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Family & Friends

I love California
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#7]
All my wife's family and some of mine live here.  And it's in the area where I grew up.  I'd love to move though...but it would be hard on the kids, moving them away from their aunts, uncles, cousins and grandmothers.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I live where I do now, because I am from the area, lots of places to go shoot, hunt, fish, whatever.  My nearest relatives are a 4 hour drive from here, so far enough that they arent around sticking their nose in my business, and close enough to visit every so often.  The population is nice here, around 12,000 - I hate being around a lot of people, so that is a plus for me.  Plus I have a good job here too.

I would like to move into a better house than the one I am in though, thats the only thing I would change.  This place isnt bad though.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Job, nothing more.  I'm in St. Louis because that is where the best university that I could get a job at is located.

St. Louis is nice, and I really like it, but I could live in any number of places and it'd be acceptable.  Closest family is in Spain, closest in-laws are in Florida.   Of my really close friends, one is in Denmark, one is in Los Angeles and one is in Maryland.  

In my field/career - you go where the desirable university is, and if that happens to be in Ithaca, New York, or Urbana-Champaign, Illinios, then you generally suck it up and move there.  

My wife and I are actually pretty fortunate to be in St. Louis and Nashville, respectively - since both are really nice towns and good places to live.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, when I got off active duty I was hired by a company that was expanding rapidly here. I also got into a reserve squadron close by. My wife's folks and mine both lived here.

Then the company stopped expanding, the reserve squadron was deactivated, my parents moved to Florida and I got a divorce.

Now that I think about it, I don't know why I'm still here.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Because it's close to work, there's no state income tax, no gun registration, the local economy is in pretty good shape and there's no snow.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought my house because the yard/driveway/shop layout could facilitate my car operation.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
In my field/career - you go where the desirable university is, and if that happens to be in Ithaca, New York, or Urbana-Champaign, Illinios, then you generally suck it up and move there.  

Cornell can't be that bad.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to Colorado, why don't you check it out?

Trust me, it's on the short list.. fullclip
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#16]
To get the fudge out of Massachusetts.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Because these hills are home.
CH
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Went to college here, and just decided it was the place for me.  Lots of rural areas, far enough that the family doesn't bug the hell out of me, close enough that I can drive a few hours and be back home.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Because the Army wanted to screw me.
I joined the Army to get the hell outta washington state, I was going to fort hood originally. And then my orders got diverted. To where you ask? Ft. Lewis Wa!!!Oh well, it's not really that bad. I go home every weekend and visit friends/family. Some guys I'm with would kill for that blessing.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I live in NH because the town  in Maine where I grew up is too crowded and upity...............I moved to the mountains  and love it......except it is getting way expensive with all the massholios moving up here and spending big bucks to buy houses and land.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I live in Lapeer because that is where my family is. here is a picture of my
great grandfather in front of the Lapeer court house. He was the turn key at the jail and the custodian of the court house.I dont know the year it was taken but it was the horse and buggy days..
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#22]
It doesnt snow.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I wanted to bail out of CA and Oregon seemed like a good place to be.  Been here a year, dont know anyone except the neighbors.

I dont know what I am doing here.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I wanted to bail out of CA and Oregon seemed like a good place to be.  Been here a year, dont know anyone except the neighbors.

Where in Oregon do you live?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#25]
because I SUCK.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Because the Army wanted to screw me.
I joined the Army to get the hell outta washington state, I was going to fort hood originally. And then my orders got diverted. To where you ask? Ft. Lewis Wa!!!

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#28]
… I choose to live here. Been all over the country and to many corners of the earth – I hope I can always call Arizona home. Even commencing to build my retirement home in the cool Ponderosa pines in the mountains below the Mogollon Rim.

• Free of draconian gun-laws

• Year round riding motorcycle weather – great roads for rides.

• Relatively conservative political climate

• Very mild winters, great snow-skiing in the mountains

• Plenty of lakes for water-skiing in the summer – night rides are really popular

• The largest elk in the country

• Diverse geography, Sonoran deserts to high Alpine mountains

• Rich heritage and history

• Cost of living is reasonable

• Taxes not yet out of hand

• No day lights saving BS

• Uzi Triangle!

• Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:13:40 PM EDT
    [#29]
    I was born here, and have lived in SoCal most of my life.

It is beautiful where I live, great weather, LOTS to do

The downside is that there is no way my children will be able to move out, and live near me. That is why I will eventually have to move.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:17:38 PM EDT
    [#30]
    because of my job
    Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:19:42 PM EDT
    [#31]
    Quite good replies here for the most part. Some tend to be stuck in a rut like myself, while some seem to be on top of the world.

I think most of the reason we came back to our area was that we thought the families need us, as my wifes father died and my dad was sick with cancer. But after my father died, it seemed to fall into the "What can you do for me now" catagory. Misguided obligations are not the way to live. My only remaining obligations are to my wife, son and myself. The rest can go "bump a stump"

Don't let yourself think you have to be where you are now. Find your groove and be happy. Fullclip
    Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:21:28 PM EDT
    [#32]

Quoted:
    my recruiter told me a lie...

Uh-oh.......
    Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:23:24 PM EDT
    [#33]

Quoted:

Then go back to CA

We have enough of you guys here already!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:27:42 PM EDT
    [#34]

Quoted:
    … I choose to live here. Been all over the country and to many corners of the earth – I hope I can always call Arizona home. Even commencing to build my retirement home in the cool Ponderosa pines in the mountains below the Mogollon Rim.

• Free of draconian gun-laws

• Year round riding motorcycle weather – great roads for rides.

• Relatively conservative political climate

• Very mild winters, great snow-skiing in the mountains

• Plenty of lakes for water-skiing in the summer – night rides are really popular

• The largest elk in the country

• Diverse geography, Sonoran deserts to high Alpine mountains

• Rich heritage and history

• Cost of living is reasonable

• Taxes not yet out of hand

• No day lights saving BS

• Uzi Triangle!

• Everything he said, plus endless mountain trails and great people.

Mike
    Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:49:53 PM EDT
    [#35]
    I've lived in IL all my life.  Right now I can't imagine living anywhere else. All my family and friends are here, and I just love it here.

Good weather(the Chicago tundra winters haven't killed me yet), good people.  
    Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:50:43 PM EDT
    [#36]
    I only live here because I have to right now.
    Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:54:42 PM EDT
    [#37]
    I still cant figure out why I live here. Six fucking months a year of unbearable heat.  As far as Im concerned SW Florida is  Hells waiting room
    Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:54:52 PM EDT
    [#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then go back to CA

Last time I checked I was in The United States of America.  I will live where ever the hell I want.  I dont need someone to tell me where to go.  Sod off!
    Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:56:06 PM EDT
    [#39]
    I'm Ohio born and raised, but I'm bored with Ohio and it offers no great occupational opportunities.

I may be moving to VA for a job this fall. I have friends and family there and I'll be close enough to Ohio to drive back now and then to see my mom.  If VA doesn't work out, I'll transfer somewhere else.

My heart isn't here anymore. I just don't see myself settling down in Ohio.
    Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:58:14 PM EDT
    [#40]
    CCW laws and hatred for suburban living.
    Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:18:11 PM EDT
    [#41]
    A family member must live on the farm or we loose the homestead on both farms...
    Excellent hunting, ATV riding, target shooting at my own PRIVATE range,  lots of mowing, high heating bills in Winter, plowing snow, living in the house and access to the farm's I grew up in VERY PRICELESS!!!
    Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:22:13 PM EDT
    [#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then go back to CA

Last time I checked I was in The United States of America.  I will live where ever the hell I want.  I dont need someone to tell me where to go.  Sod off!

Yep and I will tell you to piss every chance I get.

Lighten up gees~!
    CH

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:33:30 PM EDT
    [#43]
    Because I wanted to live in a free country.

(I used to live in California)

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:36:19 PM EDT
    [#44]
    San Antonio's close enough to home but far enough away from my hometown.

It's big enough that pretty much anything I need I can find here, except a decent job... that'd be in Austin.  Which is where my next move will probably be to.
    Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:41:12 PM EDT
    [#45]
    I'm a telecommunications engineer and work in the telecom corridor area of North Dallas.

I have to basically go wherever the jobs are. That's one thing that never ocurred to me when I decided to get into engineering. With many other professions, you can live basically wherever you want. For example, every town needs a physician. You can decide to live in the big city and be one of hundreds (thousands?) of docs, or move to a small town in say North Dakota and be one of only a handful of docs in town.

As an engineer however, you basically have to stay in major metropolitan areas that have high tech industry.  Oh sure there are engineering jobs in out of the way places, but no job last forever. What do you do when you get laid off in Kalispel Montana and there's no other high tech jobs for 500 miles?

I'd love to move to the rural Northwest somewhere, but I'd have to change careers.

Ed

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:52:08 PM EDT
    [#46]
    I love Houston, I love Texas...it doesn't get any better than that!

HH
    Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:58:30 PM EDT
    [#47]
    Wife's career and her aging sick family. As for me my business and it's just not time to retire yet.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:00:40 PM EDT
    [#48]
    Because I escaped from California.

Max
    Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:12:41 PM EDT
    [#49]
    I was raised from birth 1 mile from where I am now and I'm going to stay here till I .

This place hasn't failed me in 45 years and 7 months.

Those of you who have been here prolly know why.

Danny

Ok, I'll tell. I can walk about 20 feet from where I'm sitting right now and shoot up to 250 yards without anyone complaining.
    Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:21:28 PM EDT
    [#50]

Quoted:
    It doesnt snow.

There's nothing like trying to pick up shells that have melted into and then froze into the snow/ice.

Arrow Left Previous Page
    Page / 2
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top