Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/14/2005 7:18:04 AM EDT

Do you know anyone who has recovered from meth addiction?

I don’t.

I had contact with users during my career and never knew anyone that did not use again.

Never trust a meth head.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Okay thanks..........
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:33:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I know of one couple that have quit that shit for the long term--about 15 years. They are now doing very well with good jobs, own a house, etc.
But the guy did pick up another bad habit, called FOOD---he goes around 400 now, and realizes he traded one "issue" for another, but figures his front door won't get kicked in for his pizza or chips, so its got to be better
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:35:44 AM EDT
[#3]
10 years ago.  He was a dry wall installer from Florida and Las Vegas who moved to Alaska to get away from meth.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I don’t.

I had contact with users during my career and never knew anyone that did not use again.

Never trust a meth head.

I have known a pretty fair number of them. See this thread for some information on the topic ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=379347
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#5]
2 of my childhood friends.  I would say they have been clean for around 7 yrs.  Both are working with families and own homes.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes . Quit a   few actually . The  key  to drug addiction is  why are they useing the  drugs . Fill that void and the  rest takes care of itself .
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Addiction is the problem that needs to be fixed in america, alcohol IMO is the worst drug (right beside meth)
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes I have.

People DO recover from addictions.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
10 years ago.  He was a dry wall installer from Florida and Las Vegas who moved to Alaska to get away from meth.

A friends uncle in AK makes meth.  He murdered my friends-moms-sister too.    
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I know a few people, yes.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#11]
To get away from meth? From what I understand there is a HUGE problem with meth up here.

-Derek

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Sure....I've seen people kick a meth habit....I had a friend who did a lot of meth in the 80's...then he got married, had kids, straitened his life out for 12 years ...and then promptly dropped dead at age 40, enlarged heart...Just sat down in a lawn chair out by the pool...and died.

I went to his funeral last year and ran into a bunch of the old crew, from "back in the day", nobody wanted to look each other in the eye, because we all knew, that what the deceased had done, in 92 had most certainly, killed him in 04.

I had anouther friend who divorced his old lady and then hooked up with some biker chick/Meth skank....He's managed to quit because he's doing 20 in a state correctional facility, for production and distribution.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#13]
YES.

A very good friend of mine.
He is doing extremely well. He probably make more money than most of the posters here and is going to college at night to get a degree in mechanical engineering.

He is getting married soon to a great chick( who is a school teacher) and I am very proud of him.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#14]
i have even heard a rumor that there are a few recovered meth heads on this board...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
i have even heard a rumor that there are a few recovered meth heads on this board...

That possibility certainly does exist I suppose.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I did it for a year or two when I was a teenager. Luckily at the time it wasn't really big around here and I was able to get away from it. Hopefully it wont come back to haunt me later. It’s probably the worst thing you can do to yourself. The way you feel the next day(s) so much worse than other stuff I've done which unfortunately was a lot when I was younger.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife... though she only used for about 4 months. It's a long & disturbing story but suffice to say she went through a very bad period that includes running from her ex-husband, being homeless for a brief period & getting caught up with the wrong crowd. When I met her she wasn't using it anymore but wasn't exactly drug free. I couldn't help the fact that I was head over heels for her so I just told her that if we were gonna do this then she has to be clean... I won't tolerate drug use if she's with me. She's been totally clean and has turn her life around since then.

When I look at what she went through and how far she's come since those days I am amazed at her courage, she's small & sometimes even timid but has more guts than I could ever hope to.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I did it for a year or two when I was a teenager. Luckily at the time it wasn't really big around here and I was able to get away from it. Hopefully it wont come back to haunt me later. It’s probably the worst thing you can do to yourself. The way you feel the next day(s) so much worse than other stuff I've done which unfortunately was a lot when I was younger.

Ever feel like you were single handedly keeping Reynolds in business?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

All of the several thousand I know are still using, or will use again.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
YES.

He is doing extremely well. He probably make more money than most of the posters here and is going to college at night to get a degree in mechanical engineering.

He is getting married soon to a great chick( who is a school teacher) and I am very proud of him.

Damn, I gotta try this meth shit.  Sounds like a great way to make $$$ and meet womnz
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Yup me too. Sometimes it takes losing everything you have before you "wake up" and choose to live a real life.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
To get away from meth? From what I understand there is a HUGE problem with meth up here.

-Derek

Quoted:

True that . Way  worse in  Anchor town than here , but we did have our  first lab bust a  few months ago .
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:14:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All of the several thousand I know are still using, or will use again.

That’s been my experience also. Ever one I know who uses, will use again after they say they are off it.
Meth is a big problem here. I use to find back woods labs and evidence of labs all the time
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:24:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, it's come up here. 10 years ago it was here but nowhere as prevalent.  A lot of the Hells Angels bikers in AK were transplants from the lower 48, tryiing to live the biker lifestyle but away from crank.  Or so I heard.

Now it's everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:19:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, it's come up here. 10 years ago it was here but nowhere as prevalent.  A lot of the Hells Angels bikers in AK were transplants from the lower 48, tryiing to live the biker lifestyle but away from crank.  Or so I heard.

Now it's everywhere.

Same question I asked in the other recent thread on meth:

Do you have any actual evidence that rates of use of meth are any different than they have been for the last forty years or so?

Just FYI, if any of you know an Air Force pilot then you probably know someone who has taken meth on a semi-regular basis and suffered no ill effects. The Air Force has been giving it to pilots for decades now.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:58:00 AM EDT
[#27]
My favorite T-Shirt hanging in my closet pictures an M4 and the caption "I Hunt Tweekers". That about sums it up for me. Fucking cranksters.

For what it's worth, I have a very good friend that beat it at least 10 years ago. His eyes show evidence of the abuse he inflicted upon himself in his youth. Prolonged heavy use alters your physique permanantly, if you ask me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#28]
I do know somebody.  Granted she wasn't using for more then 4 years, but she was a heavy user in the time that she was.  Now she doesn't even drink, and is one of the greatest mothers I'v ever seen.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:00:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I don’t.

Never trust a meth head.

If you know so many meth heads that you are amazed that none of them has recovered, maybe you need new friends.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:06:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don’t.

Never trust a meth head.

If you know so many meth heads that you are amazed that none of them has recovered, maybe you need new friends.

Just a few are friends, most are job related retards that I have arrested or observed being arrested.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#31]
I've never personally known a recovered Tweaker.  Unless you count the dead one's as "recovered".

Most of these stories about recovery deal with occasional or light users.  I could see recovery as a possibility for them.

Have one example right now, 21 YOA female, busted last month, busted again last night.  She's left her daughter with her mom, lives in her car, and probably is turning tricks by now.  (no other income)  By her admission she first tried meth over Christmas 2004.

I figure she'll be dead within three years if she avoids jail.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#32]
A newer practice of meth producers is to reconstitute or leach high levels of the amphetimine from the urine of users.  Apparantly, a high precentage of the drug are pissed out.

Nice huh

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Recovering addicts have something to be proud of.  
That being said I will never trust, befriend, or allow a known addict in my house or around my family. As a "recoverING" addict will tell you, once an addict always an addict.
I deal with 'em all the time.
They may seem really nice and a good person, but that personality is always in there.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Faces of Meth

Before

After
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#35]

I had anouther friend who divorced his old lady and then hooked up with some biker chick/Meth skank....He's managed to quit because he's doing 20 in a state correctional facility, for production and distribution.

That reminds me of a guy I knew, with a hot little wife, who ran a Harley Shop around here.
He gets this loser meth head  to help him in the shop and the  guy starts humping his wife and turns her on to meth.
Well the loser was prospecting the Sons Of Silence or the Banditos (I forget, don't care) and since the husband went way back with these groups, they broke both of the scumbags  arms as punishment.
So he ended up living in a camper with the wife that the other guy kicked out with two broke arms.
Hilarious to me, I wonder if she liked wiping this dirt bags ass for him?
Meth is a wonderful thing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#36]
1 , But have'nt seen him in a while.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Faces of Meth

Before
www.oregonlive.com/cgi-bin/prxy/photogalleries/nph-cache.cgi/cache=3000;/olive/images/2927/cjjenniferlundgrenbefore.jpg

After
www.oregonlive.com/cgi-bin/prxy/photogalleries/nph-cache.cgi/cache=3000;/olive/images/2927/cjjenniferlundgrenafter.jpg

"Before", my ass. I'd have pegged her for a crankster in a heartbeat. She was a tweeker in the first picture, she just hadn't been doing it long. Know thy enemy.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Faces of Meth

Before
www.oregonlive.com/cgi-bin/prxy/photogalleries/nph-cache.cgi/cache=3000;/olive/images/2927/cjjenniferlundgrenbefore.jpg

After
www.oregonlive.com/cgi-bin/prxy/photogalleries/nph-cache.cgi/cache=3000;/olive/images/2927/cjjenniferlundgrenafter.jpg

"Before", my ass. I'd have pegged her for a crankster in a heartbeat. She was a tweeker in the first picture...

Yep. Stringy hair, oily skin, some deep facial acne she should have outgrown already.  that's most likely one of her first booking photos.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Yes, I personally know two people who used it habitually and have now been clean for more than 10 years.

They also gave up alcohol and all other "recreational" drugs.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
A newer practice of meth producers is to reconstitute or leach high levels of the amphetimine from the urine of users.  Apparantly, a high precentage of the drug are pissed out.

Nice huh

Methadone users will sell their spit to other methadone users or heroine addicts as well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now it's everywhere.

Do you have any actual evidence that rates of use of meth are any different than they have been for the last forty years or so?

Just FYI, if any of you know an Air Force pilot then you probably know someone who has taken meth on a semi-regular basis and suffered no ill effects. The Air Force has been giving it to pilots for decades now.

Who are you? The meth industry spokesman?  Why do you need proof from me?  But since you asked,

About 10-12 years ago when I was right out of high school, I was kind of a doper.  There were plenty of drugs, but some were hard to come by, like Ecstasy.  You could only find that if you knew people who knew people in San Francisco. The 2-3 years I was involved in that sub-culture, I never once saw meth, or knew anyone who used it.  Never read about meth lab busts.  But talking with people who were from the lower 48 (either visting or recently moved) if they partied, sometimes they'd talk about rampant meth abuse in the lower 48, and how the bikers pretty much controlled the trade. The bikers here put on an annual music festival, and talking with them around a camp fire, they'd talk about crank and how they were trying to get away from it, since it wasn't much of a problem in AK.  I also read stories about it being a big problem in Hawaii at the time, very pure meth that they smoked and was causing crime to erupt in HI.

In 1996 when I was canvassing for my friend's dad's political campaign, I knocked on the door of a tweaker dirtbag whose nose was one big abscess from snorting crank. I think that's the one case of abuse I ever saw.

Now you read all these stories in the news about meth lab busts in the Valley and how North Pole has a big problem with it.  Is the meth problem worse today than 40 years ago?  I would say "yes" because there wasn't a whole lot of anything here in 1965.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:22:18 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
YES.

Damn, I gotta try this meth shit.  Sounds like a great way to make $$$ and meet womnz

yea jackass.....do that. Let us know how that works out for ya

The question was do you know someone who has recovered from a meth addiction.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:55:54 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now it's everywhere.

Not sure about official, but it has been around as you say for a very long time. Amphetamines even longer, which from what I understand is what the military used experimented actually, most notably the Wehrmarcht(spelling?) and SS. Since it became widely used as recreational since probably late 50s or so, it was produced in a lab by rouge chemists(much like LSD) and was semi safe(still not healthy). But in the late 70s-early 80s, it was found it could be made with something as simple as a coffee pot and hot plate, thus the huge problem began. Not to mention they use very harsh chemicals to produce it, and very unsafe levels of pure ephedrine from cold tablets.

It's nasty stuff, and in my opinion will soon surpass crack cocaine as the leading drug problem in America, because its cheaper and high lasts longer. Also, do not have to go through problems of importing the powder cocaine to cook into crack. I know for sure when I first started working at the department, very few people were picked up for controlled subtance charges other than crack, water and the occasional powder cocaine, now it seems it getting pretty damn near even for coke and meth.

edited
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#44]
My little sister came off that shit about 2 years ago now.  Almost fucking died before she was sent away to rehab in Utah for a year.

My parents fear every social interataction she has now that she is 'clean'.  She's written off her old crew, but it doesn't take much to slip back into drugs & alchohol abuse when he's just turned 20.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:03:22 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now it's everywhere.

Who are you? The meth industry spokesman?  Why do you need proof from me?  But since you asked,

About 10-12 years ago when I was right out of high school, I was kind of a doper.  There were plenty of drugs, but some were hard to come by, like Ecstasy.  You could only find that if you knew people who knew people in San Francisco. The 2-3 years I was involved in that sub-culture, I never once saw meth, or knew anyone who used it.  Never read about meth lab busts.  But talking with people who were from the lower 48 (either visting or recently moved) if they partied, sometimes they'd talk about rampant meth abuse in the lower 48, and how the bikers pretty much controlled the trade. The bikers here put on an annual music festival, and talking with them around a camp fire, they'd talk about crank and how they were trying to get away from it, since it wasn't much of a problem in AK.  I also read stories about it being a big problem in Hawaii at the time, very pure meth that they smoked and was causing crime to erupt in HI.

In 1996 when I was canvassing for my friend's dad's political campaign, I knocked on the door of a tweaker dirtbag whose nose was one big abscess from snorting crank. I think that's the one case of abuse I ever saw.

Now you read all these stories in the news about meth lab busts in the Valley and how North Pole has a big problem with it.  Is the meth problem worse today than 40 years ago?  I would say "yes" because there wasn't a whole lot of anything here in 1965.

Nose abcess is pretty nasty, you ought to see their arms abcessed from their infected tracks from shooting up, officers usually trash those handcuffs after their done getting booked in
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:50:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Are you high? I'll take you on the flightline any day and you can ask some pilots themselfs if they are taking meth (on a semi-regular basis)...I would love to see the look on their faces'. If your job in the AF deals with nukes you can't even medicate yourself (I.E. take cold medicine)...but yeah...the AF gives pilots meth.

Sounds like your a little touchy about the subject. Looks like in starting this thread we found a user. Best quit while your ahead.

-Derek

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now it's everywhere.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:01:23 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Are you high? I'll take you on the flightline any day and you can ask some pilots themselfs if they are taking meth (on a semi-regular basis)...I would love to see the look on their faces'. If your job in the AF deals with nukes you can't even medicate yourself (I.E. take cold medicine)...but yeah...the AF gives pilots meth.

Sounds like your a little touchy about the subject. Looks like in starting this thread we found a user. Best quit while your ahead.

-Derek

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now it's everywhere.

The USAF and USN for that matter, are not supplying their pilots with crystal meth/crank.  The pilots do have stimulants available to them for longer missions, but I can promise you that it is not something that is being cooked up on the carrier for daily use.

The stimulant use is controlled by flight surgeons and is a prescription medication.  It is for use duing extended missions, such as the early CAS missions in Afghanistan where crews in single and two seat tactical aircraft had to fly 8-10 hour missions and recover aboard afterwards.  Most definitely not used during shorter missions.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:10:07 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Nice huh

we (the agency I work for) has busted people with "hot shots"  thats when you inject the drug into your arm and leave the needle in and then draw out some blood. and they sell that as "hot shots" to tweekers who need a quick hit. nasty but true. we found several vials of hot shots on one chick. she didnt even know whos blood it was, she didnt care she shot it up anyways.

edited: the stimulant given to pilots is dextroamphetamine. not methamphetamine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:12:04 AM EDT
[#49]
I don't personally know any who've "recovered".

The ones who were using that I was associated with in the past are dead or have left the area and the ones I know now (In the shop) are either in court-mandated treatment (Which they STILL violate and get locked-up on) or have "graduated" meaning we see them about two days a week just before paydays.

As I mentioned in the other thread, the partner of my GF's son managed to kill himself a few weeks ago while in the proccess of cooking his own version of the shit with who knows what in it.  The stupid ass ALSO managed to steal just about everything of value from the business on the way down but STILL managed to leave his 5 yr old daughter with nothing to remember him let alone anything so "Grand" as a life-insurance policy to see to her welfare.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:07:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nose abcess is pretty nasty, you ought to see their arms abcessed from their infected tracks from shooting up, officers usually trash those handcuffs after their done getting booked in

Not anymore,  I'd spend a couple hundred a month on cuffs.  I now use flexicuffs whenever possible.

If I HAVE to use metal cuffs on these guys I put them in an evidence baggie and hose them down with Lysol and let them soak overnight.

Did you know if you leave them too long Lysol strips the nickel plate?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top