Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 12:12:06 AM EDT

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:28:11 AM EDT
[#1]
As much as it hurts, Pictures like this should not be held back from the public...

God Bless all of those that have given it all up for our Freedom and the Freedom of others that do not know yet what Freedom is.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:29:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:29:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

God Bless all of those that have given it all up for our Freedom and the Freedom of others that do not know yet what Freedom is.

... + a gazillion
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:40:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I have personally been on a few of these details. It is a moving experience to say the least.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:44:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have personally been on a few of these details. It is a moving experience to say the least.

From the pics the attention to detail seems incredible.  Can you expand a little?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:12:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the pics the attention to detail seems incredible.  Can you expand a little?

Typically, the base gets an email a few hours in advance. group of volunteers gathers ahead of time. Go over the basics....how many, what happened, etc.  We march out to the flight line. form two lines at the rear of the aircraft. Face center. Present Arms. Honor Guard carries casket between the two lines up the ramp of the aircraft. We do a slow order arms, turn, and proceed into the aircraft. Typically there is a gathering around the casket(s), Chaplain says a few words, prayer, moment of silence. After that, we exit the aircraft and the journey home begins.

We've got one in 2 hours i plan on attending if mission needs permit me.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:18:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn...Just damn

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:48:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I just sent off a comrade and friend 2 days ago. There is no worse a sound than hearing that ramp on the C-17 bang shut as you stand there at attention.

It has not rained here in three months, but as we were waiting on the ramp a cool wind came down and a small drizzle fell. It was like God himself cried that day.

RIP SGT. Edward Hesselton, KIA vicinity of Orgun-E, Afghanistan 11 AUG 05.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:54:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:13:05 AM EDT
[#10]
GOD BLESS THEM ALL.  hurtful tears looking at these....
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Rest in Peace, Warriors!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#12]
If my son, father, friend was in one of those caskets I wouldn't want the pictures used for the media to propogandize.

That is just my opinion.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Ya, because we know the media would use these pictures for the right purpose right?

/sarcasm off
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I think 90% of Americans who see these would be moved, and not listen to the liberal on TV no matter what the guy says.  

The care taken is obvious and shows how the military truely feels about each and every death.

Look at the guy smoothing out the flag in the second picture.  He probably didn't even know anyone outside the DOD would see these pics.  But it is important to him.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ya, because we know the media would use these pictures for the right purpose right?

/sarcasm off

eggs act ly
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#17]

I met an old guy who was wounded in WW II. After that he was transferred stateside and his job was to tracel from town to town as part of an honor gaurd for funerals. He said they traveled by train. I thought about it and said "Did you all have refrigerated boxcars or something?" He said "Most of the caskets were empty".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top