Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2005 7:19:49 PM EDT
Around '93 I bought a PolyTech M-14 because at the time I could not afford a Springfield. I sold it because it had some problems. Around '98 I bought a loaded M1A and the thing was a dream to own. I ordered a couple of wood stocks and a slotted handguard from Fred's. At the time I bought the Springfield I looked at the AR-10s but they were still fairly new and I passed on it. I always liked the AR but I was'nt too fond of the 5.56. So after buying an M4 ( for work) I decided to get an AR-10. I sold off the M1A to help fund the purchase, I still don't regret it but...I want an M1A again. I don't know why but I do.  

Now I'm constantly thinking how can I buy one. I really don't have the money for one right now and there is no way that I'll trade either one of my 10s for one.

Maybe one day I'll have one again. I just wanted to share my pain...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Just don't look into custom forged receivers and you'll be OK.

Again, I repeat, don't ever look here
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Aaww damn! You had to do it to me! I seen a picture of one in the M1A forum, the guy bought all USGI parts for the build. The thing is sweet!

We have about a dozen m-14s at work and I tried to get my paws on the Winchester but they know I'm a "gun guy" and the boss' seen some of my ARs during quals, so they gave them out to guys who don't own any rifles. Good call but I'll keep trying!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Now for the stupid question...
What is so different between the M1A and M14 that it warrants another name? Always wondered that.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What is so different between the M1A and M14 that it warrants another name? Always wondered that.

M1A, semi-auto

M14, full-auto and USGI parts.

ETA: think of AR-15 vs M-16 (DIAS doesn't count )
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M1A, semi-auto

But so most M14's were modified to semi-only.
I knew about the "may have been full-auto at one time" but the main difference is the USGI parts? Not a huge difference I guess. Is the M1A's chamber made more for the civ .308 win vs. the mil 7.62?

Or are there no other differences?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M1A, semi-auto

M1A is a copyrighted trademarked name by Springfield Armory, Inc.

The M1A is nothing but M-14 design castrated to semi-auto.

Edit:
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

M1A, semi-auto

M1A is a copyrighted brand name by Springfield Armory, Inc.

The M1A is nothing but M-14 design castrated to semi-auto.

I knew about that part. I wonder if any M1A owners made a "pseudo-M15"?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#8]
If ya want one so bad go get a job, earn $$, and buy one.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I already have three of them! Right now with three girls in school, house payment, truck payment and the price of gas....
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I already have three of them! Right now with three girls in school, house payment, truck payment and the price of gas....

Sell the truck and house, send the kids to boarding school
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe I can sell a  well used lung or a kidney! I'll part them up in EE...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I wanted one for many years, finally got one last month.  An M1a Scout.  Bought it used and they guy did a decent job cammoing the stock, though I'm still looking for a walnut stock for it.  Here it is:

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice. I like them but they're pricy. Saw one at a local fun shop a while back with a really nice set up for a grand. It had a scope and some other nice things.

Still, if I had the extra money, I'd get a garand.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I want one. I will now tell my stock M1A story.

At a gunshow 'bout two years ago or so I was looking for a pistol (or carbine) at a gun show. I walked past a dealer table selling a whole load of M1A's. He offered me a standard M1A with scope (I forget who's, but it was a good one), for $800.  

I said thanks, took his card, and walked away.

My gunstore owner (who also sells them, but not for that price) informed me that doing the above makes me "an idiot".
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I checked into it about three or four weeks ago and the prices have really jumped on these things. They wanted $1500 for the loaded with the stainless barrel. The same shop wanted $1400 + for an AR-10. This is a good shop and they are well respected here in Indiana but I could'nt believe the jump in prices besides the new rifles don't have any USGI parts but my old one did. I know the guy who has bought my old rifle and I've been working on him but he does'nt want to sell it...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I want one. I will now tell my stock M1A story.

At a gunshow 'bout two years ago or so I was looking for a pistol (or carbine) at a gun show. I walked past a dealer table selling a whole load of M1A's. He offered me a standard M1A with scope (I forget who's, but it was a good one), for $800.  

I said thanks, took his card, and walked away.

My gunstore owner (who also sells them, but not for that price) informed me that doing the above makes me "an idiot".

He may be right.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#17]
i couldn't imagine y you'd want one.  I think they are overrated

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:27:06 AM EDT
[#18]
They sure are nice, that's why I own 2.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Yep.  They are sweet rifles!  Here are some pictures of my two full-auto M14's:

I also have a Sprinfield M1A and a Fulton Armory M1A.

Always get a few looks when I'm at the range shooting them!

azski
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:59:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh yea.  This little piece of metal is required to make an M14 'go fast'!

azski
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:01:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#23]
My babies - Both built on SA dual lugged receivers. The gnat's arse is not safe

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#24]
When I was on the USS Stennis's "security force" I had my choice of either an M14 or an M16.
I took the M14.

Of course the "happy switch" had to stay in semi, the first time I checked out an M14 for a watch and asked for 3 extra mags the Gunner told me "You better have a damn good reason why you are switching from semi to auto".  

Quoted:
Oh yea.  This little piece of metal is required to make an M14 'go fast'!

www.the-ozone.com/album/Pictures/selectori.jpg

azski

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I checked into it about three or four weeks ago and the prices have really jumped on these things. They wanted $1500 for the loaded with the stainless barrel. The same shop wanted $1400 + for an AR-10. This is a good shop and they are well respected here in Indiana but I could'nt believe the jump in prices besides the new rifles don't have any USGI parts but my old one did. I know the guy who has bought my old rifle and I've been working on him but he does'nt want to sell it...

Depends what model of M1A or AR-10 you are looking at.  Prices should be about $300. lower on each, assuming the "standard" versions.  These are reasonable numbers; you could get lower prices by $100. if you look around and haggle.

I had an M1A.  I now have an AR-10.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends what model of M1A or AR-10 you are looking at.  Prices should be about $300. lower on each, assuming the "standard" versions.  These are reasonable numbers; you could get lower prices by $100. if you look around and haggle.

I had an M1A.  I now have an AR-10.

Those prices were on an AR-10A2 and a loaded version with a stainless barrel. BTW You guys sure are killing me with the pics!!! Damn....Maybe after X-mas....Maybe....
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I picked up a new M1a a couple of months ago at the fun shop for $1224 out the door. There was a $30 back ground check and .0825% tax in that $1224. I think I did pretty good. It came with 2 mags, a sling, has a NM barrel , front site and some sort of a modified trigger. I'm SUPER happy with it

ETA: It wasn't "new" it had been sitting in their store for 5 years
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I love the M14. To me, it's like the Corvette of guns, you've gotta love all that American muscle. These are some sweet rifles you guys have got.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M1A, semi-auto

M14, full-auto and USGI parts. or Polytech which label them M-14s

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I wanted a M1A, THen I found out about the LRB M14SA

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top