Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2001 3:00:20 AM EDT
It stops the target in their tracks, is it real, or R&D pipe dream?

Is it in use now?

How can one defeat this modern weapon?
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 3:08:03 AM EDT
[#1]
The Marine Corps is the lead agency in less than lethal weapons development.  The one you refer to works like a big microwave.  It heat the skin and causes pain.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 3:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The Marine Corps is the lead agency in less than lethal weapons development.  The one you refer to works like a big microwave.  It heat the skin and causes pain.
View Quote

Is it in R&D or is it online?
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive heard rumors about this gun, but nothing more
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I really don't know what the Marines have or what is being tested...but I do know (based on my Physics background) that you if you have a good power source, you can use a MASER (a microwave analog of the Laser). Most of the atmosphere is transparent to Microwave Frequencies which is why they are good for communication, but you can also use a MASER as a weapon, and literally cook your enemy (from the inside out). Of course you will want it to discharge radiation at frequencies that are absorbed by water molecules (which would mean that its range would be limited due to water vapor in the atmosphere).

Link Posted: 7/17/2001 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#6]
i saw a book at a gun-show that described in detail how to make your own ray-gun from a microwave oven...don't know if they're safe or effective...
i always wondered if the EMP guns are in use yet, or if we can ever use them - can you say: "land-warrior, IR sights, laser-aimers, helicopters, tanks, HUMMVEE's and comm-arrays made useless with a touch of a button"???
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#7]
it's interesting how information gets diseminated to the public.  rumour has it that duing operation just cause (where we supposedly killed 60,000+ panamanians, oops!), that there were sf's running around with m16 looking rifles with power packs on their backs sawing cars in half.  this is from a long time active duty guy, who seems pretty straight headed.  my guess is that the 'pee shooter' rays guns will be seen over the next 5 years and the real mambo units will be shown after that.

the reality being, we've had them since the late 80's......my guess

steve
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#8]
SHIT !!! will my foil beanie protect me or will I need to upgrade !!!
[frag]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Here ya go Andy, make yer own johnny ray gun...

[url]http://butokukai.com/product99.html[/url]
[img]http://butokukai.com/media/RAYS[/img]

M.

Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I have seen where the Marines are using a green laser for less lethal. It causes the person who is lased to feel disoriented, and nauseated. It is for less than lethal crowd/riot control. It is experemental. There are tons of things that are experemental in the area of less than lethal. Some even penetrate tin tri-cornered hats!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top