Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 6:05:33 PM EDT
So after my post about what was your worst beating, & I was trying to remember mine, I thought of this.www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=379039

How old were you, & what happened when you finally had the balls to tell your dad, NO! that's not how it's going to be, & were ready to get a real ass kicking, or give one?

Now I realize not every man has this rite of passage but many of us do. It's more of an old school thing as well, but many of us have old school pops, & know exactly what I'm asking. I'll tell mine later because I don't want to muddy up the 1st post.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea what you're even talking about? You mean disagree with him and fight over it?

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Too much respect to do that, of course my dad has never given me reason either.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Around last monthe after saying mutiple times No, and not wanting to go through with all kinds of shit.

I was very tempted to start throwing punches but I know they would let a crackdealer go to have space for me in jail if I did.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#6]
never happened.  even though we would get in some really harsh yelling matches i would have never tried to fight my dad.  not only would he have kicked my ass, i would never have disrespected him like that.  hell, i cant even remember using any cuss words directed at him - not once.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Why would I want to hit my father?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
My dad was a cool dude.  Smarter, faster and stronger than I'll ever be.  He almost made Golden Gloves except being disqualified because of the politics of the time.  We were so close I could read his mind.  Too bad he died many years ago.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Now Im regretting I didnt do it, and make sure to take something for pain and something to hype me up first so I wouldnt slack off.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.unpopart.org/artworks/gx/romance_novel2.jpg

You are banned from all further postings.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
www.unpopart.org/artworks/gx/romance_novel2.jpg

You sir are the first to make me laugh out loud
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#13]
We have a deck and a dog.  Our dog runs around on a rope. When he comes in, the rope is set on the deck.  One night we were shoveling and my dad was using the snow blower.  It was dark in back where the deck was, very dark.  Stupid bastard refused to turn on a light and he ran over the rope and got it tangled like nothing you'd ever seen before, because of corse he was to dumb to turn it off or stop the blade.  He threw a shit fit and of course, blamed me.  I was pissed, he was pissed.  The entire time we (he) tried to get it untangled we went back and forth fighting (with words).  

Course, he's the kind of guy that will try to do everything by himself and when he can't he'll scream at everyone for not helping him.  With a small knife in hand and a flashlight in the other kneeling in the snow, he's trying to cut the rope out.  He finally freaks out and tells me to hold the flashlight.  I go to grab it from him and fucker won't let it go.  He starts jerking on it and screams at me to hold the f-ing thing.  He stood up and yelled "OH! So you want to fight!  Is that what your telling me!  You want to fight me!"  He's about 5'10 245lbs,  I was 5'11 165lbs and playing hockey and running at the time, in very good shape.  I got right in his face a screamed, "Hey! I'm standing right here!"  He vented for a few minutes and then returned to work.  Eventually we (he) got it undone.  He screamed the entire time.  By then I toned him out and didn't care.  

That was the closest I've ever came to fight my dad.  I think I could have kick his ass all over the place because I was in such good shape and he's well...getting old...and fat...

So it was kind of a stalemate.  P.S. Forgot to add, my father is nuts.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Dad? What dad? I wish I had one growing up. For that reason, it is my personal goal to be the best
father I possibly can to my two children.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#15]
My dad was killed by a drunk driver when I was 16.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Now I realize not every man has this rite of passage but many of us do.

Yeah you're not alone.  My dad was a firm, and damn tough guy when I was a kid.  He was reluctant to recognize the fact that I was trying to "become a man," as I got older.  Our argument was akward and heated.  I spent a week at my sisters college place to let things cool off.  The old man "woke up" and recognized that I had done a lot of growing up, and things have been great ever since.  I have always had a lot of respect for my old man, and I suspect he'd say the same about me.

My old man has mellowed out a lot over the years and makes a damn fine grandpa.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What he said.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#18]
When it happens, I'll let you know.  I'm 37, he's 72.  I think he can still take me.

Woody
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Dad? What dad? I wish I had one growing up. For that reason, it is my personal goal to be the best

i know how that is...i never had a dad growing up.  

he was never around and when he was around...he still wasnt

anyways thats the best motivation i have to be the best dad i can to my kids when i have them some day.  

i know what my mom went through trying to raise 2 boys as a single mom and how hard it was on us growing up.  i would never put my own kids through something like that
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1

My dad died when I was 6 (he was 27). My stepdad on the otherhand, he was/is a mentally abusive ass. We've been at each others throats since I was young. Never got into a full blown fight but there have been hits on occasion. that ended when I was around 17-18 and he tried his slapping me around bit & I hit him back. We almost fought then but it stopped and he was freaked out that I would actually be willing to fight him - typical bully.

I promised myself that I would never be that kind of father and my stepson (14) and I have a great relationship, better than the one he has with his father by a long shot.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, when I came to....
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#22]
My Dad is Alpha 1, my brother and I always gave him that.  He made the money, and gave us anything we needed whether we knew we needed it or not.  Finacial wise or guidance wise.  I can't say enough goods things about him...he was and still is an awesome Dad.  

Man, I'm going to have to call him now...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I come from a long line of badasses.
The badass gene skipped me.

Now, I dunno if my family (Father, uncles, grandparnets) are REALLY badasses or not.
But I for damned sure aint ever, ever EVER gonna raise a hand to find out.

On the other hand, never had a reason to. Most of my family are really good people. The one or two that arent, we just tolerate.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Naw, never had that.  Me and Paps are good friends.  Really fairly early in my life did we move from parent-son to more of mentor/friend.  We'd go work on stuff, he'd stuff me in the seat of some heavy equipment and we would go to work.

Farmin' ain't so bad at times.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#26]
When I was 15 I was sitting on the living room couch. Can't remmber what started it, but my 16 year old brother got in an arguement with my Dad. Tempers flared and my brother finally came out with a big "Fvck you!" My Dad went dead calm and said in a soft voice "Oh, so now you're a man? Here's what happens when a man says that to me." Dad punched him square in the face and he went down like he was hit by the hammer of Thor. Was quite a lesson for me. I never made the same mistake.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#27]
None work for me!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
When I was 15 I was sitting on the living room couch. Can't remmber what started it, but my 16 year old brother got in an arguement with my Dad. Tempers flared and my brother finally came out with a big "Fvck you!" My Dad went dead calm and said in a soft voice "Oh, so now you're a man? Here's what happens when a man says that to me." Dad punched him square in the face and he went down like he was hit by the hammer of Thor. Was quite a lesson for me. I never made the same mistake.

I grew up with no dad since I was about 5 years old. I always regreted that and felt that someting was missing in my life.

After reading your post,  it makes me think that I'm much better off growing up the way I did... things could have been worse.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#29]
My Dad died when I was 7. My Mom remarried a few years later and I thought I was the man of the house and my stepdad and I would physically fight quite often. I had bruises and cuts all through school on almost a weekly basis. He lost his enthusiasm as I got bigger and started getting the best of him. The last one we had was when he said something about my deceased father. I kicked his ass and then had to kick his ass again a short while later when he came after me with a length of pipe. I made him pay for every bruise he ever gave me that time. For some reason he never wanted to fight again after that one.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#30]
my father used to beat me very severly, my sister and mother too. I blocked out alot of stuff of my early childhood and what I do remember is too tough to talk about now, what I will say is that from the time I can remember(3 or 4), I was beaten with belts across my back, my legs, he's choked me intill I passed out many times almost to my death, well all that I can rememebr is many, but alot of my memory is gone too. I was 15 or 16, I don't remember why he was beating me, but he was, I remember he was over me on the bed choking me, I remember the darkness veiling around me, my life slipping away, looking up at the hate filled in his face, the evil, he was going to kill me. I dont know why, but something snapped in me, I was suddenly clear minded, from the edge of the abyss I came back, god helped me, he gave me the strength. My knee flew up and got him right in the nutts, he few over me and hit the headboard and it knocked the fuck out of him, he was dazed long enouh for me to run out of the house, I got about 100yds when he came after me with a pistol, he was going to kill me but I got away. I'm 30 now, for some "strange" reason, he doesnt remember what he's done to us, Im still trying to forget.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I have always had too much respect  for my father to let anything go past an heated argument, when i was young and the same now, he is the worlds greatest dad
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#32]
He's still helping pay for my schooling.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#33]
For me never.....but my older brother did. Me, my sister, and my brother all screwed up pretty good. Dad whipped me and sis, and we stayed in one room. My brother was 4 years older, and about 15 I think. At that age he was getting pretty big, about 6' 215 by then......we heard a loud crash and one of the closet doors come tumbling down......my sister and I look at each other like"wow Pops really letting him have it this time", just then my brother came walking out, and left the house for a while. Dad came stumbling out a minute or so later, pretty roughed up. BTW, my dad wrested for a couple years at Florida State, and knew his way around a few bar fights so he was no pushover. I've only lost 2 fights in my life......both were with my older brother......but we fought 3 times.....
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I grew up with no dad since I was about 5 years old. I always regreted that and felt that someting was missing in my life.

After reading your post,  it makes me think that I'm much better off growing up the way I did... things could have been worse.

Really? I thought my Dad did my brother (and I) a service. When you decide you're a man, be prepared to take a man's responsibilities.

I just can't picture what my life would be if my father hadn't been there.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:42:26 AM EDT
[#35]
well, dad's an army colonel.  he's used to getting respect and all the "yessirs" he wants.  he doesn't get that from me, so we've had quite a few yelling matches.  he's hit me before - never hard enough to do any real damage, so i've never felt the need to hit back.  i've thought about it, but i've never done it and i don't think i ever will...

edit:  and after reading some of the stories on here, i'm grateful for having a father that really cared.  i'm glad i wasn't abused, and i truely feel sorry for those that were.  i just can't imagine what's going through someone's mind when they do that to their own child
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:56:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:30:07 AM EDT
[#37]
I had that moment when I stood my ground on an issue we were having when I was about 19 or 20. I was not willing to back down from him & we squared off in a fighting stance & I was prepared to defend myself from his attack at all cost. When he saw he wasn't going to give me an unchallenged beating again he backed down & walked away.

He probably would have nearly killed me as he is a tough old bastard {Polock} from the west side of Grand Rapids Mi, with a long history of street fighting & violence. I was a young man with way different values, & I was not the combat minded person I am now. I am almost certain I would have tried to fight fair while he went for my throat. I chose the stalemate choice for that reason.
As many of you have stated I was beat up as a kid when ever my dad drank the hard stuff, it was a good time to hide. Beer was the time to be around because he passed out cash when he was drinking beer.

The last time we squared off was about 2 yrs ago, when he began to verbally bully my son who was 5 1/2 at the time, & something inside me rose up. My blood was feeling the flames & I said no way! You did that crap to me as a kid & I'll be damned if I will stand by & let you do it to my son. He said he would kick my ass, & I said bring it on old man, your going to pay for what you did to me & what your trying to do to my son, I won't have it. It was an aw full moment. My mom chewed him out big time & my son & I left. He called a few minutes later & asked my forgiveness, & pleaded for me to come back. I forgave him, he forgave me, & we returned, & now we laugh about it once in a while.

My back was out, & his shoulder was out so it would have been a comical fight if it had occured.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I was 13yrs old thought I was tough and mouthed off to my dad,  I ended up over top of the living room couch in one punch.  Last time I tried that.  It never happend again and I' almost 40 now.    
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Two episodes come to mind.

Once, (10-12?) I called dad a schmuck, being a smartass. I'd heard it was German for "ornament"... I wasn't fully aware that it was also Yiddish for "penis". I didn't think an "old man" of forty something could move so damn fast. When I saw the look in his eyes as he came after me I immediately started screaming that I was sorry.

Only Mom's rapid intervention kept him from probably killing me... or at least spending a few days nursing a severe ass whuppin'.

The second event took place when I was about 15 or so. I'd inherited Dad's temper, and tripped over a broomstick the cats had knocked over. I got pissed, and put it into the wall twice.

Calming down, I realized that I'd f*cked up, and, willing to fix things, I looked for patching plaster. Not finding any, I set the stick against the wall, and waited until Dad got home.

With my people skills of today, I'd have enough sense to let him take off his coat, have a beer, and watch the news. Once he'd mellowed from the workday, I'd have brought it up in a discussion.

Instead, being young and stupid inexperienced , as soon as he came in the door, I asked him where the patching plaster was.

He asked why I needed it.

I told him, and apologized.

He asked what I'd made the holes with.

I showed him the broomstick, and apologized again.

He began waving it in my face, holding it on one hand and shouting at me "HOW COULD YOU DO THAT?     HUH?      JUST HOW COULD YOU DO THAT?"

I straightened up, and, now, PO'd because my attempt to make things right was being thrown back at me responded:

"You wanna see how I did it? Fine I'll show   you..."

I grabbed the stick out of his hands, threw it up into a high post (horizontal over the shoulder) and
<<POP>>....................

..................   << POP>>
put two holes into a 2" group at the same height as his head.

I dropped it back down to a "port arms" position and said "THAT'S how I did it...now I want to fix it." and "presented arms" back to him.

My whole action (grab, strike, and port arms) took less than two seconds.

Dad took the stick, looked to his right, saw the holes.

He lowered the stick, and calmly said "We'll discuss this later".

He never brought it up again.

I worked hard to mellow my temper after that.

It was also the last time the threat (direct or indirect) of physical force was used against me.

After that, he resorted to logic and reason.

I think an ass whuppin' would have been easier to take sometimes
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Reminds me of something I heard from a guy I worked with.

He was a bit of a fuckup (drugs, shiftless, asshole) and when he was about 17 his mother got tired of his bullshit and sent him to live with his dad (they were divorced),  The first night this guy is sitting at the dinner table and  he has his elbows on the table.  His dad tells him to get his elbows off the table.  Kid tells him "Fuck You" as he is feeling pretty unhappy about his new living arrangements and is used to treating his poor mother this way.  Dad tells him "Stand Up."  He does, and the last thing he remembers is the fist coming at him.  When he wakes up his dad is tanding over him and he says "You talk to a man like that - and that is what you are gonna get."
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#41]
never did, i still live with him and we havent disagreed about anything seriously in years. Id never throw a punch or anything like that, i dont want to find out what a 40 odd year old physically fit ex-USMC man can do to me in a fight
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Taht'll surely teach!

Did your brother think it was worth it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top