Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2001 2:57:37 AM EDT
are rumored to be in use by military, is it real, if so can anyone explain how it works?

What if anything can be done to defeat it?
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 3:01:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 3:10:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
They work just like Hollywood wants em too.....
View Quote

You mean, the SEE THROUGH THE WALL TECHNO TOYS are not real, oh boy what a relief, I really thought all was lost!!!

Link Posted: 7/17/2001 3:58:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Actualy they exist.  They use mm length microwaves to build a composite picture of what's downrange of them.  They are especially usefull for surveying crushed buildings after an earthquake looking for bodies.  If I remember correctly, the can 'see' over 30 feet.

I read an article in one of the major news magazines about this device and subsequently visited the web site for one of their manufacturers.  I'll search for it and post the link.

FWIW....Geno
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 4:38:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, it looks like Andy's gonna have to pull his cache of guns/ammo out from behind the dry wall now.

M.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, it looks like Andy's gonna have to pull his cache of guns/ammo out from behind the dry wall now.

M.
View Quote

Oh sh_t, where can I hide my ray gun?
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:25:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
are rumored to be in use by military, is it real, if so can anyone explain how it works?

View Quote

Thermal imaging also works.  It's old technology but still good.  Requires a bit of logistical support tho'.

Not intended as a flame, but for someone who has "taken the oath" you sure have a lot of basic questions.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:26:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Thermal imagers can "see" through walls, although they do not give a perfect or even very accurate picture of what is going on inside.

Law enforcement can not use these devices, and by the ruling, any new technology that acts in a similar way, on house without a search warrant as per a recent Supreme Court decision. This would not prevent them from using it if a warrant had already been obtained or if they were performing a hostage rescue.

The thermal imager shows differences in heat. A person inside of a building can usually be located using one of these. The are also useful for finding hidden compartments on vehicles and in cargo, but usually because large quantities of dope have a different heat signature than their surroundings.

They do not look like the stuff Hollywood shows, and require a trained, skilled operator to be used effectively. They run about ten grand.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:51:18 AM EDT
[#8]
The US SC decision mentioned above, Kyllo v US:

[url]http://www.megalaw.com/fed/opinions/99-8508.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a very vague recollection from several years ago about someone working on a radar type gizmo that could “see” through walls.  I guess detection of movement would be the objective.  I believe the intent was to use this device in terrorist incidents.  

Warning:  I may be hallucinating!!
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes they have been around for years, windows. Look out not only can they see in but you can see out. They are also useful for letting the sun's (UN project fireball) rays in.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where's my Tin Foil hat?
Buy lots of Tin Foil
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:19:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:(:
Yes they have been around for years, windows. Look out not only can they see in but you can see out. They are also useful for letting the sun's (UN project fireball) rays in.
View Quote

are these available with "assault features?" Is there any pending legislation to limit their availability to the general public, and do we have any constitutional rights to own these?

I suppose the best way to defeat them would be to close the blinds.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:(:
View Quote

are these available with "assault features?" Is there any pending legislation to limit their availability to the general public, and do we have any constitutional rights to own these?

I suppose the best way to defeat them would be to close the blinds.
View Quote

Why do you think windows have to be "insulated"?? These "windows" may actually be required due to "building codes". It's not a Right to own them, it's another example fo government controlling our lives....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top