Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2005 5:54:21 PM EDT
My brother bought a 2002 Chevy Silverado back in October.  Not sure of the total miles but under 30,000.   Thursday, we were headed to get his 26' ProLine boat to go overnight offshore fishing when all of a sudden  WHAM, SNAP, BUMP.........

As it turned out, the transmission cable came undone from some where near the shifter end (upper end), got caught under the rear wheel, and the whole damn thing got tore out of the transmission.

When my brother took the truck back to the dealer (Chevrolet) that he got it from, the service manager said something to the effect that it's no big deal, they recently fixed another truck that did the same thing.

Well, $850 some odd dollars later, I beg to differ.  IT IS A BIG DEAL as they said there was no warranty so he had to pay the whole bill.  It cost about $300 in parts, as other stuff got messed up, but the screwed him at $100 an hour times 5 or so hours.

I am wondering if anyone here has had this happen or if they are aware of this problem.  Sounds like there may be a re-call issue.  

If so, PLEASE e-mail me at [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Vehicle is less than three years old, has less than 30,000 miles and is out of warranty?  WTF?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a 99 GMC Z71 extended cab that I drove for 5 years before selling it with 88k on the dash.  I towed with it several times: a moving trailor, towed a car and trailor once, a big ass camper once, etc and never had any such problems.  $850 sounds a little steep.  I'd be asking WTF took 5 hours to repair.  Not to salt the wound, but this is why I insist on having extended warranty coverage.  One or two "little things" and the warranty pays for itself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top