Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2005 5:23:38 PM EDT
Willow Run (The home of the B-24)  has an airshow every year put on by the Yankee Airforce Museum.  They bring some of the best WW II planes in the country for this show.  Inspired by  Bumblebee Bob's thread I thought I'd share a few pics with you:

B-17s as far as the eye can see...  Actually, there were 8 last Sunday (they had 9 on Sat.).

The flew all 8 in formation but my camera wouldn't zoom wide enough to catch them all as low as they were flying:

My favorites...  The P-47s.  We were about 30 yards from them when all three started up to fly.  Couldn't hear myself think...

They flew nice and low:

I'd never heard a ME-109 fly before.  (This is the real thing BTW.)  I was suprised at how small the ME-109 is:

MIG-21...  Flew by with after burners on...  WOW!!!

TBM:

My son's favorite:  the A-10.  We saw this flying as we were driving to the show.  Everything else in these pics flew while we were at the show.

The WW II reenactors were there as well:  Great folks...  Very eager to tell their story and let the kids have a close look.

M5 Stuart light tank:

Jeep with smal field /anti tank? gun:

My sons getting a tour of the M5 Stuart:

We went Sunday.  Saturday we were told they had a reenactment battle with some German reenactors and the ME-109 flying air cover.  The P-51s came in and chased off the ME-109 then the M5 Stuart came in and chased of the German infantry.  Everyone that we talked to that had seen it said it was on of the coolest things of this type they had ever seen.  Maybe we'll see something like it next year  this is the 3rd time in 4 years we've gone and there are more reenactors each year.

Kent
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, There was one B-24 "Witchcraft":

Here's one in flight (sorry so fuzzy):

I love the classic nose art.  Here's the nose of a B-25:

Kent
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Man, what I would do to get a ride in a 24. mmk

For a B-17 ride you'll have to give the Yankee Airforce $400.  The Yankee Airforce also gives rides on their B-25 for a similar amount IIRC.  Google "B-24 rides" and you can... for a price.

Kent
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice pictures.

That's a Mig-17, not a -21.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#7]
 Awesome,  nice to see the show didnt get messed up too badly after the big hangar fire.  
Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Now THAT is an air show!!! Thanks for sharing it with us. I'll bet your son had a great time, too.

Inspired by Bumblebee Bob's thread...

I'm feeling all tingly. Never inspired a thread before.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
 Awesome,  nice to see the show didnt get messed up too badly after the big hangar fire.  
Thanks for the pics.

My neighbor across the street works for the Yankee Air Museum.  They have some wicked photos from that fire. The had to push the aircraft out and some had flat tires.  They managed to save them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Ahh, the great Me109 vs. P47.

Light, agile, fast, powerful, cannon armed.

vs

Huge, heavy, uber powerful, tough as nails, dives like nothing could.

Those B-17s give me chills. I wish my grandfather was still alive to ride in another one of them...and this time not bombing the Germans.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#11]
If they had nine B-17's there I wonder if that was the majority of the flyable ones left? I would loved to have seen that flyby.

If that was the first time you've seen a B-24 were you surprised at how narrow the body was?

Our Fathers and Grand Fathers were special men who took those thin skinned birds into harms way.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:44:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If they had nine B-17's there I wonder if that was the majority of the flyable ones left? I would loved to have seen that flyby.

If that was the first time you've seen a B-24 were you surprised at how narrow the body was?

Our Fathers and Grand Fathers were special men who took those thin skinned birds into harms way.

We were told there are ten flying in N. America.  There were nine present on Saturday and eight on Sunday.  We were told the tenth was supposed to be there but a bolt was dropped into the engine a month ago and they had to tear down the engine to get it out, thereby grounding the tenth.

Yes, I was quite suprised how narrow the B-24 was.  It looked as if the B-17 and the B-24 had the same frontal area but the B-17 was a cylinder and the B-17 was a narrow rectangle.

Kent
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:49:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to work for Kalitta, I spent many hours on their side of the field looking at the old static display's.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:01:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice pictures but that's not a MIG-21.

MIG-17

MIG-21

I believe it's a MIG-17.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top