Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 4:29:52 PM EDT
I have a friend of the family that was just widowed. She need to raise some cash to pay off some debt and is thinking of selling a 3 diamond rings.  How does one go about selling diamond rings? Who buys Diamonds? What is a fair price?   2 wedding bands: one has six center diamonds with ten on the side totaling .90 carat appraised at $1600, other has one big  diamond with six on the side toaling 1.26 carats apppraised at $7000. Third ring has 2 center diamonds with thirty side diamonds totaling .91  carat  appraised at $4000.  How do I go about liquidating these for a far price? Any input would be appreciated....

PS: These where appraised twice once back in 1982 and just last week.

edit for typo......
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to several reputable Jewelry stores and get offers.  Take the best one.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Hive Mind--- How to sell Jewerly?

Bees sell jewelry ? (or Jews)
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#3]
expect to get <50% of the appraised value
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Set up a table at a gun show.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you Troy. I was afraid of that. I may just buy a ring off of her and throw it in the safety deposit box. I can hold it for my son if he ever gets engaged down the road he could remount it.   Then at least he won't get ripped off on a reatail price of a Diamond, and I'd be helping out a friend of the family. I just told my wife no more Jewerly for her, only firearms!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd take a look at Ebay.

Who knows?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#10]
1.26 would be a good total for one diamond, but 7 grand for 6 diamonds no way, expect to get about $ 800 for that ring. Any idea what grade the diamonds are ? vs1 vs2 si1 si2 ?

ps my uncle was a jeweler and i worked for him for years

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Having worked in the jewelry industry for 8 yrs all I have to say is good luck. First of all appraisals don't really mean squat on what you can sell it for because appraisals are done at retail price. Standard sell-for price depending on the store is 25%-50% off of retail. So they are selling it for half of what it appraises at and still making a killing. Most stores will not buy anything from you. Pawn shops will, but they will only offer about .10 on the dollar of sell-for price. Most jewelry stores will let you trade in your diamond jewelry, but only for something selling for 2x what they are giving you. Say they give you a $1000 trade in value for a ring, they will let you trade that towards a $2000 ring so you still have to cough up another grand. Its no deal its usually worse to trade in.

The only way your going to get a decent offer is to sell it privately, either through the want-ads or to someone you know or possibly ebay.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Appraisal details:
Gemstone: Diamond
Cut/shape: Round/ brilliant
Weight: .93 Carat
Color /Clarity: H-I / VS-2
Measurements: 6.3 x 2.5 mm
Value: $7000
Comments: Ladies 14 karat yellow gold diamond ring. The details of the center diamond are listed above. Six side diamonds are full cut round and total .33 carat, G-H color, VS clarity.The total diamond weight is 1.26 carats. The total ring  weight is 7.918 grams.

Gemstone: 2 Diamonds
Weight: .62 Carat total
Color /Clarity: F-G / VS
Measurements: 4.3 mm Diameter
Value: $4000
Comments: Ladies 14 karat white gold diamond fashion ring. The details of the 2 center diamonds are listed above. Thirty side diamonds are single  cut round and total .29 carat, The total diamond weight is .91 carats. The total ring  weight is 5.368 grams.

Value: $1600
Comments: Ladies 14 karat yellow gold diamond band. The diamonds are set in white gold heads. Six center diamonds are brilliant cut round and total .60 carat, G-H color, SI-1 Clarity. Ten side diamonds are full cut round and total .30 carat, G-H color, SI clarity.The total diamond weight is .90 carats. The total ring  weight is 3.744 grams.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
expect to get <50% of the appraised value

+1 no matter the three C's you get hosed on jewlery resale as a private party.  Your best best may be ebay.

Appraisal details:
Gemstone: Diamond
Weight: .93 Carat
Color /Clarity: H-I / VS-2
Measurements: 6.3 x 2.5 mm
Value: $7000
Comments: Ladies 14 karat yellow gold diamond ring. The details of the center diamond are listed above. Six side diamonds are full cut round and total .33 carat, G-H color, VS clarity.The total diamond weight is 1.26 carats. The total ring weight is 7.918 grams.

I'm sorry my friend but this one is WAY over rated.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#14]

I'm sorry my friend but this one is WAY over rated.

Hey that  maybe...???? . I only  have one appraisal in front of me, but the other appraisal from 1982 was almost for the same price. I am out of my league here, I know nothing about this. That's why I posted  here, for the great help  from all the members. I'm just tring to help out an old lady....

Thanks,
Jayme.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top