User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/13/2005 2:49:43 PM EDT
Big-City Gang Gets a Toehold in Rural West Virginia
By Vicki Smith Associated Press Writer
Published: Aug 13, 2005
ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBVO81CCCE.html
BLOOMERY, W.Va. (AP) - It seems an unlikely setting for a meeting of big-city gang members - a secluded spot along the Shenandoah River where the loudest noises come from tires crunching gravel and water rushing over the dam.
But it's here, on a narrow road just across the Virginia state line, that authorities say members of MS-13, one of the nation's most violent gangs, have begun to congregate.

"If you just drove through, you wouldn't notice. But we sit and watch what they do," says Jefferson County sheriff's Lt. Bobby Shirley. While women serve picnics and children play, "the men are standing around, clearly doing business."

MS-13 is shorthand for Mara Salvatrucha, a Latin American gang founded in Los Angeles by refugees from El Salvador. Federal authorities consider it one of the nation's most vicious street gangs and estimate it has some 10,000 members in more than 30 states.

Earlier this year, after several murders in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., the FBI announced a crackdown. Hundreds of members have been rounded up and some deported. But the gang, in part to lower its profile, is spreading out.

West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle, less than 70 miles from Washington, offers a haven from prying eyes.

"We're so close to Baltimore, Washington, even Philadelphia, that we're getting an element that we definitely don't want," says State Police Capt. Rob Blair, commander of the troop based in Charles Town.

Police suspect MS-13 in only a few assaults and robberies, but Jefferson County Sheriff Ed Boober is certain the gang is present - and preying on some of the county's newest residents.

A growing number of Hispanic immigrants have found work here, lured by the apple orchards, booming construction market and thoroughbred racing industry. Often, though, they arrive alone and friendless, a situation the gang can use.

"They're recruiting everywhere. They're looking for people who don't belong," Boober said. "The bad thing is, once you join, you can't unjoin."

Though gang activity is not pervasive, Boober says there are subtle signs: MS graffiti on buildings. Clothing emblazoned with 13, XIII or MS. Teens at Jefferson High School weaving red bandannas through belt loops.

"It's very quiet. It's below the top of the water. But we know it's there," the sheriff says. "To say that they are not present in our community is putting your head in the sand."

Later this month, Thomas E. Johnston, U.S. attorney for West Virginia's northern district, will hold a training session for local law enforcement agencies.

"I view this as something that's possibly on the horizon and certainly a potential threat worth preparing for," Johnston said.

Former Modesto, Calif., police officer Jared Lewis says MS-13 markets the gang as a way to embrace Latin American heritage. Parents who are unfamiliar with American teens' customs may not recognize what's happening, mistakenly believing their children are just learning to fit in.

"They think all kids throw hand signs, all kids wear colors, all kids write these symbols on their books," says Lewis, director of Wisconsin-based Know Gangs, a group of consultants who educate law enforcement, teachers and social workers. "But I don't know of any culture - Mexican, Irish, African-American, Polish, whatever - that gang membership is part of the heritage."

Lewis says West Virginia should take MS-13 seriously, regardless of how benign it now seems.

"There is this perception that because they're not out there carrying guns and shooting people every day, that they're different from other gangs," he says.

But they aren't.

"If that kid is interested in gangs, that's an interest in drugs. That's an interest in violence. That's an interest in victimizing the weak. If that interest is there, that's a problem," Lewis says. "It's just a matter of how long it takes interest to turn to action."
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#1]
We have the same problem in Tampa
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Dalton, GA also.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#4]

"If that kid is interested in gangs, that's an interest in drugs. That's an interest in violence. That's an interest in victimizing the weak. If that interest is there, that's a problem," Lewis says. "It's just a matter of how long it takes interest to turn to action."

Don't know what he is talking about, the "gangstas" I see are either very polite or quiet...........
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#5]
If you've got real MS13 guys there's really no missing it.  They really like tats, and the more the better.  They are also into having some rather prominent positioning, like on the forehead.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Notice in the artical, regarding training, they left out the civilian/ WV militia. RKBA to secure a free State. I think a good ole border to border sweep up is in order.

PO PO can't be everywhere all the time, but the armed citizens of Eastern panhandle are here all the time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Just let the local hill people take care of it.
They've been feuding and living in those hills for hundreds of years.
Shoot, shovel leave em be and let the buzzards and worms eat and repeat as needed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#9]
 S.O.B. well looks like my SHTF gear will get some use WHY WV there is nothing here except now
a bunch of subdivisions popping up like weeds but my God we are the last place in America that would have a gang problem hell we are still sorting out the Hatfield/McCoy feud. and not to mention"trying" to cover up snuff out the stories about kissing cousins, and sister remains a virgin as long as she can out run her brother. Now we are having a "gang" problem im gonna have to move from this "big city life" and into some southern country so's I dont feel outta place and upset the suits and there halfmillion dollar homes that carry million dollar insurance because of gangs with MY redneck, back porch drinkin, closest thing to a gang was the swarm of bees I pissed off lookin for crayfish, ass. But the real reason they are here is because "big city" gangs have gotten so "bad"
that even other gangs are goin "fu*k this it do dangerous to live here homie "    

P.S. Don't  just close the border slam the mother****** shut and lock it
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#10]
The hill people?

There may still be a few, the rest were rendered useless by welfare handouts from our government.

At least a man who knows how to trap, fish and hunt to provide for himself and his family is respectable.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

"If you just drove through, you wouldn't notice. But we sit and watch what they do, and dont call me Shirley" says Jefferson County sheriff's Lt. Bobby Shirley.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I live next door in Berkeley Co,yea it is getting bad around here.You can spot the hispanic gang members,they have tats and dress much different than the guys that work for a living.A few years ago they had put a bounty on LEOs in Leesburg,VA,only about 40 miles from here.Bastards are getting bold
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#14]
No need closing the border anymore, the worst of the bunch has already gotten in the country
the fucktards in the homeland security department(ins, ice)should  be ashamed of their sorry
asses letting down the citizens like they have, I wonder how many of THEIR relatives
have been raped, robbed, killed, run over, kidnapped, shot or molested by the illegals\gangs............
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"If you just drove through, you wouldn't notice. But we sit and watch what they do, and dont call me Shirley" says Jefferson County sheriff's Lt. Bobby Shirley.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Something tells me they are in for a big surprise if they screw with the locals
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Do I hear banjos playing?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Hold my beer and watch this.

To all our friends in WV.  The limit is two and the season ended yesterday.

Problem solved.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Police suspect MS-13 in only a few assaults and robberies, but Jefferson County Sheriff Ed Boober is certain the gang is present - and preying on some of the county's newest residents.

Hmmm, no drug dealing?   So much for the legalize drugs and gangs will go away theory.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Lock and Load boys!

Fu@k MS-13!

yeah I know some folks from that area and if those M13 assholes know what's good for them the'll stay in the friggin' cities.  They won't last too long out of them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Rural? I have a feeling they'll be making some good fertilizer soon. Bad people have a habit of "disappearing" in those areas.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Thread just put a bad taste in my mouth. The city just keeps creeping up on the Eastern panhandle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#24]
They need to meet the original boys in the hood.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Yup, lots o holes in that thar shenandoah. sum say, ifn yer not careful, ya jus dispeer. Good catfishn though.

I guess now, I have to take the drum and leave the thirty home,when I go catfishn. Oh, well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Lock and Load boys!

Fu@k MS-13!

That's what I'm sayin.  People, arm yourselves.  

Would be nice to hear about some law abiding citizens popping a cap in some MS-13 member's asses.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lock and Load boys!

Fu@k MS-13!

That's what I'm sayin.  People, arm yourselves.  

Would be nice to hear about some law abiding citizens popping a cap in some MS-13 member's asses.

I would rather it just quietly happens  No need to publicize.  Suppressors are legal in WV right?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#28]
only if you pay the tax, NFA
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#29]

I've never been in that town, but spend a whole lot of my free time in the backwoods of W.Va.  I've got many good friends who live there.  Those bangers get out in the back country and start trouble with the locals and they are in a world of shit.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:54:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Blackwater  

Executive Outcomes

Problem Solved
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:29:54 PM EDT
[#31]
WestbyGodVirginny?!!?

I'm wondering if MS-13 bit off more than they can chew.

Do I hear banjos? ¿El chillido tiene gusto de un cerdo?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#32]
when are we gonna form the arfcom gang and take care of business...dont forget that we can have major advantages from this...territory...hoes..respect...and all the bling we could ever want

+1 on the banjos...WV SET AN EXAMPLE FOR THE REST OF THE NATION TO FOLLOW...they cant be touched do to the political shit storm in other states, but im sure u shine sippers in the hills could have immunity
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:47:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
when are we gonna form the arfcom gang and take care of business...dont forget that we can have major advantages from this...territory...hoes..respect...and all the bling we could ever want

+1 on the banjos...WV SET AN EXAMPLE FOR THE REST OF THE NATION TO FOLLOW...they cant be touched do to the political shit storm in other states, but im sure u shine sippers in the hills could have immunity

All the feds that AREN'T deporting illegals are going to go after any Citizens that do anything to any illegals........
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#34]
i know man...thats why were countin on the shine sippers to kick ass...no feds are gonna go back into the hills of those crazy dudes..who knows how many pitfalls and traps are set up in those backwoods...
on a real note tho, i know it sucks...cause these ms-13 f--ags are dirtier than hookers mattress, and yet im sure on some level the gov does business w/ them...WAR ON DRUGS = WORTHLESS EXPENDITURE OF TIME AND RESOURCES
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
i know man...thats why were countin on the shine sippers to kick ass...no feds are gonna go back into the hills of those crazy dudes..who knows how many pitfalls and traps are set up in those backwoods...
on a real note tho, i know it sucks...cause these ms-13 f--ags are dirtier than hookers mattress, and yet im sure on some level the gov does business w/ them...WAR ON DRUGS = WORTHLESS EXPENDITURE OF TIME AND RESOURCES

I'm sure we pay for their womens rent, welfare, medical care and pay to raise their kids too
not to mention their hospitalization, attorneys and prison time(they probably get small business loans)
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Damn revnooers.

Hatfields! McCoys! The revnooers have contracted with Latin street gangs to come git yer 'shine! Light 'em up!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:15:01 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
BOLO:

Yeah, I'm sure he would make a great neighbor
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:19:20 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure we pay for their womens rent, welfare, medical care and pay to raise their kids too
not to mention their hospitalization, attorneys and prison time(they probably get small business loans)

lifes a bitch sometimes...what if all the conservatives just packed up and moved outta USA and took over all of south america and used their untapped resources...then we could set up a new empire, and then reverse the game right back on the scumbags...jsut think everyone could have a ranch, a bunch of mules, and a coke field...jk ofcourse  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:19:41 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The hill people?

There may still be a few, the rest were rendered useless by welfare handouts from our government.

At least a man who knows how to trap, fish and hunt to provide for himself and his family is respectable.

They got Montagnards in West Virginia?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:27:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lifes a bitch sometimes...what if all the conservatives just packed up and moved outta USA and took over all of south america and used their untapped resources...then we could set up a new empire, and then reverse the game right back on the scumbags...jsut think everyone could have a ranch, a bunch of mules, and a coke field...jk ofcourse  

How about mexico, most of their able bodied males are here, who is taking care of their land and their women?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:35:57 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about mexico, most of their able bodied males are here, who is taking care of their land and their women?

good point..closer to home, sweet beaches, HOT SENORITAS, TEQUILA by the barrell, we could just annex central and south america after we establish the new order in mexico...after nuking mexico city though (mex city could become the new country's permanent landfill) and everyone could own a brothel and a poppy field  sealing the borders would be first priority (although we can cross whenever we want) tresspassers will be shot...the possibilities are endless  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:46:19 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
good point..closer to home, sweet beaches, HOT SENORITAS, TEQUILA by the barrell

The best part, no illegals in mexico
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:56:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:57:10 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

good point
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:59:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd think so, but you'd be wrong. They have a problem with illegal Salvadorans and Guatemalans --mostly on their way here. The difference is that the Mex border police just steal anything of value, beat the shit out of them and dump them back over the border.

also a good point...but if we annexed central america then they couldnt be illegal either..and we would jsut steal all their valuables, beat the shit out of them, and dump them.....in the pacific
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:13:46 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd think so, but you'd be wrong. They have a problem with illegal Salvadorans and Guatemalans --mostly on their way here. The difference is that the Mex border police just steal anything of value, beat the shit out of them and dump them back over the border.

also a good point...but if we annexed central america then they couldnt be illegal either..and we would jsut steal all their valuables, beat the shit out of them, and dump them.....in the pacific

Note to self: secure southern border in new Arfcom Country
(I guess we should come up with a name)
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:53:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Arfcomistan.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:05:15 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
BOLO:

What odd camo... MSPAT?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#50]
O.K. WV Time to pony up and get started on getting some good intel. Then plan some hunting trips.

Ready when needed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top