Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 7:18:22 AM EDT
STi Vs. GTO
It's an embarrassment to call this fat hog a GTO.  

proud subaru pilot,
~Dg84

ETA:  And that's stock for stock... Put a Turbo back exhaust and a reflash on that STi and the GTO turns into Grandma's sedan.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#1]
?

Why are you comparing a family car with a big-ass motor in it to a rally car that's been de-tuned for normal drivers?

The only thing they have in common is the price, and the fact that they have 4 tires...

The GTO, even if it does look staid, at least went back to it's original roots; take a family car, throw a big motor in it, call it 'sporty', and sell it for cheap.

If I weren't in the middle of moving to the tundra...my next car woulda been a GTO

As it is...I'm looking at a Subaru Outback or something I need the cargo room and I need the AWD...and it needs to have better gas mileage than my Dodge Ram.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Well it beat the STi in the 1/4 mile, which is where the GTO has always been dominant.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#3]
The GTO is a fucking Holden Commodore, for pete's sake.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

yeah but its the closest thing we've got to a camaro these days.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:49:13 AM EDT
[#5]
The new GTO is still faster than any other factory GTO ever produced.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Wrong! The GTO is a Holden Monaro. The Commodore is a four door. We wouldn't want it to be like a Charger now would we? Anyways, I am a proud owner of an 04 GTO in yellow jacket. This car is a great car! It's smooth and powerful. The lines are subtle yet clean and the interior is great! It was worth every penny!

Kris

BTW, why would you want that fugly STI anyways? That scoop on the hood looks like some bad heater duct work and the wing looks like they bolted a picnic table to the trunk.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#7]
ID take the wrx over the the grand am any day
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah but its the closest thing we've got to a camaro these days.

Rumor is the Camaro is back.  Watch the Jan Auto shows.

And if you want to talk about modifying, the GTO can be easily upgraded with bolt ons too.

And those 1/4 mile times were horrible for both cars.  14 and 14.1? Give me a break.  STis are good for a 13.3 to a 13.5.

This guy on the GM board I read has posted stock timeslips for the GTO of 13.3s.

Both of these cars can move.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#9]
The Goat is an awesome idea except
she could lose about 400lbs. It is IMO, a Bimmer clone.
IRS, comfort and 400hp for freeway cruising.
The Camaro could be realesed in late 06' as an 07' model yr.
GM, keep the weight down to 3300lbs and I'll get one
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#10]
You mean the cavalier right?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:03:33 AM EDT
[#11]
For my money I'd take the GTO over the STi any day.  Both cars would be more likely to end up at the dragstrip on the weekend then at a rally race.  The GTO has the advantage at drag racing.  I guess I also prefer the American V8 over import turbo power.  To each his own.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
For my money I'd take the GTO over the STi any day.  Both cars would be more likely to end up at the dragstrip on the weekend then at a rally race.  The GTO has the advantage at drag racing.  I guess I also prefer the American V8 over import turbo power.  To each his own.

stated on post 454 no less

hee haw
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Thats NOT a GTO.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone have info on the Dodge Charger SRT8?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

the sedan?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#16]
yes the sedan i know its not a coupe like it should be but it still looks good.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#17]
A BMW clone?

Please, my BMW is vomiting with this news right now!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#18]
The new car and driver, I think that's what I was reading in the Dr. office, had the new GTO, the new Mustang GT, and the Dodge Charger head to head, check it out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#19]
This is not exactly a dupe and I don't wanna be a whiny killjoy type but...

1) This prolly should be in the "cars and bikes forum" and

2) We had a pretty good 'new GTO' debate going in that forum already...though I don't believe the STi was mentioned..

3) I would wonder about any person that had narrowed their choices to a GTO and an STi since the two cars are so VERY different in character, style, drivetrain, etc.

eta: For the record... I cannot deny that GM has/is made/making cars with good performance numbers for reasonabel prices but two things have kept me from even considering such cars:

1) spotty quality
2) cheap cheap cheap interiors. I've had almost no hands on with the C6 but even the C5, the best Corvette in quite some time when it came out, had a cheap ass interior. I was shocked that such a pretty and expensive flagship car would have a steering wheel and controls that looked like they were sourced from a Chevy Cavalier. I've poked my head inside a couple of C6s and haven't handled them or owned one...the interior looked a somewhat improved but I was still disappointed...maybe it's nicer than it appeared.

eta: I agree that the STi is somewhat homely but I don't care for the GTO looks either...both bland and unrefined at the same time, IMO. It looks somewhat better than the Monte Carlo, what the Monte should have been instead of a pumped up lumina coupe.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You must not have ever heard of SCCA autocross and club racing.  But then, those take more skill than doing a brake stand and mashing the gas, letting the auto tranny do all the work.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#21]
GTO is the Holden Manero, which was very successful in the Austrailian stock car series. Which means that there is every kind of performance parts avialable for the GTO, somewhere.
Pontiac literature claims the high end GTO has a top speed of 160mph (read that in Autoweek), so using the available performance parts, the GTO theoretically has a potential to reach 200mph.
Not too bad for a family car.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#22]
<double tap>
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Pontiac literature claims the high end GTO has a top speed of 160mph (read that in Autoweek), so using the available performance parts, the GTO theoretically has a potential to reach 200mph.
Not too bad for a family car.

I would love to see a GTO with a turbo or two strapped to it, that would be impressive.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the sedan?

Yeah, the family car grocery getter.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
GTO is the Holden Manero, which was very successful in the Austrailian stock car series. Which means that there is every kind of performance parts avialable for the GTO, somewhere.

Eh? The Monaro hasn't been used in racing much at all, at least not at any "pro" level. The big domestic race series in Australia is the "V8 Supercar" series. It's really a two dog race between Holden (GM) and Ford, no other brands run in the series. Mitsubishi made an offer to come into the series about 3 years ago using one of their locally made cars running a Chrysler V8 (there's cross-ownership between Chrysler and Mitsubishi), but execs at both Holden and Ford had kittens at the idea of another brand getting into "their" race series and said they wouldn't cooperate, so Mitsu was told not to bother. The series rules specify that the cars must be based on a 4 door model not a 2 door which means the Monaro doesn't get into the series. On the other hand, the Monaro is really just a 2 door body on the same chassis as the 4 door model. Mechanically they're identical, so any go fast parts (engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, etc) that work in the 4 door will also work in the 2 door. Since it's a Chev LS1 under the hood, any of the normal LS1 "improvements" should work in the GTO.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#26]
The STi and new GTO both suck ass.

Got a '72 Ford F350 dually wrecker truck here that will beat BOTH of those shitboxes in the quarter mile, for under a quarter of the price of either.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Glad to see the jap car whup american "muscle".  

4 time toyota owner
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The STi and new GTO both suck ass.

Got a '72 Ford F350 dually wrecker truck here that will beat BOTH of those shitboxes in the quarter mile, for under a quarter of the price of either.  

Who gives a fuck about quarter miles?  Take it out on a road course (or a real road for that matter) and watch your truck get smoked like a cheap cigar.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

4 time toyota owner

No matter how you put it, you're still a ricer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

4 time toyota owner

Exactly the point of this thread the the comparison on that video...

~Dg84
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

4 time toyota owner

No matter how you put it, you're still a ricer.

Humbug!

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh? The Monaro hasn't been used in racing much at all, at least not at any "pro" level. The big domestic race series in Australia is the "V8 Supercar" series. It's really a two dog race between Holden (GM) and Ford, no other brands run in the series. Mitsubishi made an offer to come into the series about 3 years ago using one of their locally made cars running a Chrysler V8 (there's cross-ownership between Chrysler and Mitsubishi), but execs at both Holden and Ford had kittens at the idea of another brand getting into "their" race series and said they wouldn't cooperate, so Mitsu was told not to bother. The series rules specify that the cars must be based on a 4 door model not a 2 door which means the Monaro doesn't get into the series. On the other hand, the Monaro is really just a 2 door body on the same chassis as the 4 door model. Mechanically they're identical, so any go fast parts (engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, etc) that work in the 4 door will also work in the 2 door. Since it's a Chev LS1 under the hood, any of the normal LS1 "improvements" should work in the GTO.

The Bathurst 24 hour race has been won once or twice by the Monaro 427, which is a Raceing Monaro.

They use it in a few other races too
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#34]
The new gto gets better gas milage than  the sti. I have two friends. One has the 2004 gto and other has 2005 sti. the sti as reported by my friend gets only 19 mpg. my friend with the gto gets 22. Plus my friend with the gto never uses the 6 gear. Don't ask why hes a little strange. I would take the gto over the sti. I like riding in the gto better and its more fun to drive. 1/4 times. 12.8 secs for gto(its not stock)stock was 13.5. the sti was 13.4 stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top