Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 4:09:11 AM EDT
Man.... 'seems like it isn't safe to lie about anything...
Y'know about all the orgs invovolved in outing fake SEALS, Special Forces etc...
Well... it's now come to people who lie about having been Oooompa-Loompa's

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/international/news/20050812p2g00m0in026000c.html

U.S. man admits lying about playing an Ooompa Loompa in 1971 'Wonka' movie
RENO, Nevada -- A U.S. man who long claimed to have played one of Willy Wonka's Oompa Loompas in the original 1971 motion picture now admits he was lying.

Ezzy Dame confessed the fib Tuesday in an interview with the Reno Gazette-Journal. He said the false claim seemed harmless at the time but grew into a beast of a deception.

"It was not for fame or glory," said Dame, 57. "I never made a profit or earned a financial gain from this."

"There is something so special when a child looks at a little person and they're not scared or feel that they're looking at a freak. When you say you played that part, they look at you and smile. They see you as a human being," he told the newspaper.

"I never intended to harm anyone or my community by this little white lie. It was a little white lie that became my haunted nightmare."

Dame said the nightmare began two decades ago after he put it on his acting resume under the advice of his agent in Los Angeles.

He was a young man, then 23, 1.2 meters tall and 40 kilograms. Parts for little actors were rare. His agent told him to "pad" his resume with an acting credit from Mel Stuart's 1971 film "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," he said.

The movie was Dame's favorite. He watched it religiously, partly because it portrayed little actors in a positive way. And he needed to watch what he allegedly did.

Two stories were published in Reno newspapers in 2003 with Dame commenting on the role he played as an Oompa Loompa.

A third story, published July 16 in the Reno Gazette-Journal, shined the spotlight brighter on Dame, as he watched and commented on Tim Burton's remake, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," and compared the two films from an Oompa Loompa's perspective.

That's when the claim came to the attention of Rusty Goffe, credited in Stuart's film as an original Oompa Loompa.

"There were only 10 original Oompa Loompas," Goffe of England wrote in an e-mail to two Gazette-Journal reporters.

"Six English guys, one English girl, one Turkish, one Maltese and one German. Unfortunately, six of them are now dead. And the girl is in a retirement home here in England. She is very old and now blind so I do like to keep her privacy. All are in poor health. I hope you understand."

"I guess Ezzy is a nice guy," he wrote. "But we have to be loyal and truthful to the fans."

Friends and colleagues said they supported Dame for coming forward.

"The fact whether Ezzy was or was not an Oompa Loompa makes no difference to me," said Bill Kolton, a friend and Reno arts coordinator. "I know, respect and admire who he is and not any screen part he may have portrayed. He is always the first one to offer his help and service when people are in need." (AP)

August 12, 2005
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:16:52 AM EDT
[#1]
dupe... capt' poopy already scooped this
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:35:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I HATE LIARS.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:55:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Dupe
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:58:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Dupe
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:59:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Dupe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top