Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2005 1:10:55 AM EDT
Hello

Me and my mate are planning a 3-4 week trip to caribbean next May, not a highroller beach resort holiday...but more like an adventure, back packs, cheap bungalows, beaches and sun. I've never been there before so I'd like to know what are the best places to go to. We were thinking of Bahamas, one of the smaller islands like Long Island...or Barbados..The big quastion is how we get there from Miami and much it'll cost. Also, all info regrading the cheapest accommodation options welcome. We are hoping to find something like $20-$30 a night bungalow.

All info greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks,

Petri
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Parts of the Out Islands of the Exumas have become a Nature preserve and I've heard there is a bit of camping and sea kayaking going on there. I lived/cruised there on a sailboat for a year back in the mid-80's. Can't say I saw a lot of camping going on though. Internet search may give you more current info but much of the Bahamas will charge big for that "getaway" feeling.  Have you considered the East coast of the Yucatan in Mexico ?  Been there also ...  Fly to Cancun, rent a VW beetle (cheap/lockable) and drive South, hitting the interesting little dive "resorts".  Some are quite rustic and have a real laid back feel with good cheap food places there or nearby. The people are friendly, English is seldom a problem on that coast, and they'll usually negotiate your accomodation rates when you stay for more than a couple days. The cenotes (inland open-top caves) are a unique experience, also.  On the other hand...if you don't dive ???  Scuba is great but simple snorkeling is just fine most places. Many places will teach/certify SCUBA, also .  Enjoy.  Stay safe
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
rent a boat and see why the pirating rate has dropped?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:39:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for input,

We're currently thinking of Cuba. It should be fairly cheap and it SHOULD be easily accessed from Miami. Any idea how much a flight / boat would cost from Miami to Cuba? I'm really not looking forward paddlin' over in a phone booth or similar
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:47:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Us Americans don't know anything about vacationing in Cuba.

ETA 10 years ago the Army sent me to Haiti for 5 months. What a shithole. And hotter than hell. I have no desire for a Caribbean vacation. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:11:22 AM EDT
[#6]
cuba is great, lots of european and canadian tourists. but there are no flights from the us to there, went there once but it was on a private boat from st pete. only provlem with cuba if you get into any kind of trouble the us government will not get involved, you are not supposed to be there

the bahamas are nice,( they are not in the caribean) but not a lot of stuff to do , besides gamble ,dive or just sit back and relax. the out isalnds will be your best bet on cheap plaves to stay. tru the abbacos

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:53:35 AM EDT
[#7]
There has to be a way to get to Cuba from Miami..??!??
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:29:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There has to be a way to get to Cuba from Miami..??!??

MPST PEOPLE FLY TO CANADA OR MEXICO AND TAKE A REG SCEDUAL FLIUGHT, ONLY WAY FROM MIAMI IS AN OLD CAR BUYOED WITH EMPTY OIL DRUMS, OR A PRIVATE BOAT

ETA NOT SURE ABOUT FLIGHTS FROM THE BAHAMA OVER, YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT GOING TO  NASSAU AND GETTING TO CUBA FROM THERE
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:33:53 AM EDT
[#9]
You only need  to know one place,

GRAND CAYMAN........bomstk ..out.

save your money skip Jamaca
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top