Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 11:34:28 PM EDT
I know a lot of you guys on here have cats, so I have a question for y'all.

My cat has a bit of a bald spot on her side, above her right rib cage.  It's not bald, really, it doesn't look bad, it's just that her hair's completely thinned out, you know what I'm saying?  There's this patch on her side a little smaller than a computer mouse, where the fur is just all thinned out.  

Does this mean there's a problem with her?  She's actually my parents' cat, and I'm home for the weekend, but I guess that leaves me to do something about it, since they obviously haven't.  She's otherwise as vivacious as usual.  She doesn't seem sick, it's just that missing fur that I worry about.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]
look for mites or fleas in the area

EDIT: I am not a veterinarian, merely a walking encyclopedia of absolutely useless information.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Mange?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]
i own a Veterinary Reference Laboratory
get a vet to check the cat out..

there are numerous issues..to be checked out.

ranging from food issues...allergies and parasites..to thyroid issues..as well as other things.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:01:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i own a Veterinary Reference Laboratory
get a vet to check the cat out..

there are numerous issues..to be checked out.

ranging from food issues...allergies and parasites..to thyroid issues..as well as other things.

SWEET!  Send me some Brucellosis or any other zoonotic goodies you have.  Got an annoying neighbor driving me nuts...

EPOCH

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the advice, i'll make sure to get her to the vet on Monday.  

she's still acting the same, I'm starting to think maybe my mom's using the flea comb too rough on her or something... she's totally OCD with that cat.  she combs her about 3 times a day, and perhaps that's what is doing it, who knows?   either way, I'll get it checked out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Sometimes cats get stressed and start over-licking an area, and it ends up bare.  It COULD be nothing more than stress/nerves - but could also be more serious stuff, so definitely look into it.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#7]
My family has a cat that licks a bald spot on her belly damn near every time the season changes.  Not sure why... shes been doing it for years and there is nothing wrong with her...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#8]
it's ebola
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#9]
nothing a .22lr can't fix.

But it is probably fleas.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Sgatr15

Don't shoot yourself Sarge, I am sure his cat will be OK
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Sgatr15

+1, just to make sure try the .22lr.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Some descriptions of cat hair loss
www.nzymes.com/Articles/cat_skin_hair_problems.htm#HAIRLOSSDISORDERS

Quoted:
Sometimes cats get stressed and start over-licking an area, and it ends up bare.  It COULD be nothing more than stress/nerves - but could also be more serious stuff, so definitely look into it.

Slightly off topic but my mom had an episode where a silver dollar sized area of baldness (hair disappearance) occurred on the back of her head.  It grew back in fairly short order but I think stress was the issue there and could easily be that with this cat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top