Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 6:36:55 PM EDT
I was having a discussion with a younger friend about how gun laws have changed over the years. And I told him that as a kid I remember seeing M1 carbines being adverstised in the Sears catalog. He seemed dubious and the more I thought about it the less sure I was. Does anyone remember the 60's and 70's enough to tell me if I was right or just full of sh*t?

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Thompsons used to be sold in hardware stores as a varmint sub-gun. And yes it was fully-automatic.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, Sears sold M-1 carbines through  thier catalog. In 1968 I walked into the local JC Penney Store and bought a Browning high power made in Belgium for $108 and no paperwork at all. those were the days!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes, Sears sold M-1 carbines through  thier catalog. In 1968 I walked into the local JC Penney Store and bought a Browning high power made in Belgium for $108 and no paperwork at all. those were the days!

thank you, I thought so, but it was sooooo long ago and I was soooo young
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I don't know about the M1 Carbine thing but my parents bought my first gun from Sears.  It was a Savage Seven, Single Shot breakover .410 shotgun 1971.

I used to bring that gun or one of my dad's Marlin 22's to school on the bus regularly to hunt rabbit or squirell after school with friends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top