Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 5:13:15 PM EDT

Ethanol With A Twist
Manure to fuel production

Oil prices soared to nearly $67 a barrel on Friday, a new all-time high. Some say "home grown" fuel is part of the answer to skyrocketing gasoline costs and a new plant near Mead might help to lead the way.

As gasoline prices head relentlessly higher a new survey indicates that American consumers are getting worried. Sixty-four percent of those surveyed say that rising prices will cause financial hardship for their families in the next six months.

Construction is about to begin on a $70 million ethanol plant with a twist and that twist comes in the form of cow manure.

Dave Hallberg with Nebraska Bioclean has high hopes for the project and he says, "We can become the Saudi Arabia of the United States, displace dependence on foreign oil and clean up the environment."

Critics of ethanol say it takes too much energy to produce but the people behind Nebraska Bioclean say that's not the case with the new facility near Mead.

Hallberg says a feedlot packed with 27,000 head of cattle will fuel production with cow manure.

"We won't purchase fossil fuels," Hallberg says. "We'll make our own energy inputs and the manure will be converted to biogas. We patented the technology and it's the first time we're using it at this scale."

With plenty of corn and cattle, Nebraska Bioclean plans to ship out 24 million gallons of ethanol a year.

The ethanol plant is expected to open next May and will employ 100 people.

The new energy plan signed by President Bush this week does provide tax breaks to ethanol producers. There are currently 11 plants across the State of Nebraska.

link

edit for red
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#1]
and what happened to thermal depolymerization?

ethanol sucks as a fuel
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

They arent trying to make cow poo into oil. (at least I dont think they are)
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok, ethanol is not oil, it is alcohol.  alcohol screws up your fuel system in a car not meant for it.  thermal depolymerization supposedly converts organic material into oil, making ethanol requires fermentation unless they came up with something new.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok, ethanol is not oil, it is alcohol.  alcohol screws up your fuel system in a car not meant for it.  thermal depolymerization supposedly converts organic material into oil, making ethanol requires fermentation unless they came up with something new.

There have been many vehicles designed to use a fuel primarly composed of ethanol.  They have been on the market since at least 2000 and use a fuel called E-85 which stands for ethanol 85%.  The rest of that fuel is only 15% standard gasoline.  Sure ethanol doesn't produce as much power as straight gasoline but right now it is actually running a lot cheaper than standard gasoline.  So ask yourself if we can use cow manure and corn to run are cars, why shouldn't we be doing that?  Even if it isn't as convient I would rather promote our own country, our own farms, and our own factories than give my money to countries in the middle east that only turn around and fund terrorists with it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Biodiesel is a more viable alternative. Requires very little energy input. Can use all vegtable oils and produces little waste products. It does require ethanol to seperate the biodiesel from the vegtable oil. Very little modification to exisitng diesel technology is required. Mainly a fuel preheater for cold weather.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The ethanol is pretty simple to produce. Heat and ferment.
The part I'm not sure of is the "bio gas". I'm thinking its probably methane, but as you suggest it might be thermal depolymerization.

Either way its interesting. The waste product from ethanol goes back to the feed lot as corn mush cattle feed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:30:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The ethanol is pretty simple to produce. Heat and ferment.
The part I'm not sure of is the "bio gas". I'm thinking its probably methane, but as you suggest it might be thermal depolymerization.

Either way its interesting. The waste product from ethanol goes back to the feed lot as corn mush cattle feed.

There are plans on the internet for building your own bio gas generator using cow manure to produce methane.  The process is pretty close to that for producing ethanol.  Basically you liquify the manure, heat it and keep it a constant temperature to maximize the breakdown of the material and maximize the methane output.  From there you can capture and use the methane gas.  Since the "fuel" is free the only cost is the original equipment and the handling of the fuel before and after it is processed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:57:53 AM EDT
[#8]
This is cool. Will we all get to drive those really wild looking cars from the "Road Warrior" now?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:18:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I suppose if you could make ethanol from sand you guys from AZ would be more enthused about it.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#10]
E-85 is getting big around here.(IL)

And its about a $1 cheaper per gallon.

Some one had better figure out something on a large scale quick.I am not a Dooms dayer but I dont think our economy can handle $3-$4  gas on a National scale.

I work for the RR and we have almost trippled our biz nationwide,because the truckers are losing their ass and customers are going to rail.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice car......... For me to POOP in !

Or.......  well...... The cows  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I suppose if you could make ethanol from sand you guys from AZ would be more enthused about it.  

maybe down in Yuma.  or is this just ramblings from some jackass who has never set foot in Arizona?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

maybe down in Yuma.  or is this just ramblings from some jackass who has never set foot in Arizona?

I know about as much about AZ as you know about ethanol production.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top