Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 4:01:56 PM EDT
From the WSJ opinion page:

Columnst George Will settles a score with Jimmy Carter and reminds us of just how petty Carter is. At issue is Carter's recent claim that Will "had stolen my briefing book" and given it to Ronald Reagan's campaign, which used it to prepare for the sole Carter-Reagan debate. Will acknowledges that he inappropriately (from the standpoint of journalistic ethics) participated in the debate preparation and that the Reagan campaign had the briefing book, but he says he was not its source.

Carter also claimed recently that Will wrote to him "asking for forgiveness." This too is not true, Will says. "The only letter I ever wrote to Carter was in response to one he wrote to me on Oct. 29, 1993," Will writes, and he quotes from his own letter setting Carter straight on the false briefing-book allegation.

What's most striking about the story, though, is Carter's 1993 letter to Will, which Will quotes:

His letter began: "For a number of years I have felt some resentment toward you because of the reports that you either knew about or actually used my personal briefing book in preparing Reagan for our campaign debates [sic]." He added:

"Because of this feeling, and despite my lifetime interest in baseball, I even refrained from reading your 'Men at Work.' Recently, in order to learn how to be a better Braves fan next year, I spent $1 in a used bookstore for the book, and really enjoyed it.

"Even if the news stories about the debate incident are true, I feel that we are even now.

"Best wishes,

"Jimmy Carter"

So Carter (a) nurses this trivial grudge for 13 years (and still is after 25 years), (b) refuses to read Will's book because of it, (c) feels vindicated when he finds it on the remainder table, and (d) writes a letter to Will boasting about it! Next to this guy, Bill Clinton is Winston Churchill.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
He also sucks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd break the old man's hip!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#3]
A very naive man too!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Carter was doomed to loose if he ran against his brother.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

"We elected the wrong Carter."

-Homer Simpson
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He also sucks.

He was the worst president to hold office in the 20th century, we are still dealing with crap he caused.

A very small stupid man.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Cahtah is a POS. I've saqid it before, and I'll say it again.

He stripped the military and left a mess for Pres Reagan to sort out. If it wasn't for Reagan, the Cold War wouldn't have been so "Cold" unless you're referring to Nuclear Winter.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
From the WSJ opinion page:

Columnst George Will settles a score with Jimmy Carter and reminds us of just how petty Carter is. At issue is Carter's recent claim that Will "had stolen my briefing book" and given it to Ronald Reagan's campaign, which used it to prepare for the sole Carter-Reagan debate. Will acknowledges that he inappropriately (from the standpoint of journalistic ethics) participated in the debate preparation and that the Reagan campaign had the briefing book, but he says he was not its source.

Carter also claimed recently that Will wrote to him "asking for forgiveness." This too is not true, Will says. "The only letter I ever wrote to Carter was in response to one he wrote to me on Oct. 29, 1993," Will writes, and he quotes from his own letter setting Carter straight on the false briefing-book allegation.

What's most striking about the story, though, is Carter's 1993 letter to Will, which Will quotes:

His letter began: "For a number of years I have felt some resentment toward you because of the reports that you either knew about or actually used my personal briefing book in preparing Reagan for our campaign debates [sic]." He added:

"Because of this feeling, and despite my lifetime interest in baseball, I even refrained from reading your 'Men at Work.' Recently, in order to learn how to be a better Braves fan next year, I spent $1 in a used bookstore for the book, and really enjoyed it.

"Even if the news stories about the debate incident are true, I feel that we are even now.

"Best wishes,

"Jimmy Carter"

So Carter (a) nurses this trivial grudge for 13 years (and still is after 25 years), (b) refuses to read Will's book because of it, (c) feels vindicated when he finds it on the remainder table, and (d) writes a letter to Will boasting about it! Next to this guy, Bill Clinton is Winston Churchill.

This is not the kind of behavior I look to from a Christian Brother and Leader.
Forgiveness is devine, grudges are, well, not.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Jimmy Carter is a very small man

It comes form having a small brain and a big ego.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep in mind that if Ford had yielded to Reagan in 1976, Carter would have never won.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#11]
It comes from the same petty POS that is speaking out against our troops in Gitmo.  The same scum that is aiding and abetting the enemy by providing moral support and propaganda support.  BTW, the same guy that originally got into bed with the Chinese communists, caused the oil embargo and thinks driving a couple of nails in a rehab house makes up for all of it.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#12]
And he's a southerner, but then again so was Clinton.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What's the deal w/ his brother?

Sorry, wasn't around then.

Does the US have a tradition of electing southern governors w/ terrible consequences or something?  I'd say it's a 20 year rotation, but can't recall any occasion in the 50's...
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He also sucks.

He was the worst president to hold office in the 20th century, we are still dealing with crap he caused.

A very small stupid man.

If you want to thank some Americans for 9/11, thank Jimmy Carter, Stansfield Turner and Frank Church.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top