Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 9:31:12 AM EDT
Two-story. Older house in SoCal, with piss-poor insulation all-round.
Recently had our whole HVAC replaced / upgraded. 2nd story still uncomfortably warm, even when the downstairs was like a walk-in fridge. Took to running the fan continuously during peak hours, just to keep cool air circulating through upstairs ceiling ducts. Helped some, dropped the upstairs to under 80F.
The upstairs was a 400sq' rectangle and disappointingly the rafters are only 2x4s, with loose fill fiberglass not even reaching their tops in some places - what's that, like R5?

Finally got the shit together to add some R30 batts upstairs. Here's the result:

- I left the soffet and end vents unobstructed. I stood on a ladder, waist-high in the access opening, and used some rakes and a pool brush to maneuver the batts into place across the attic - it's a ~20'x~20' open room, flimsy construction, and I'm built like an aging 'Swede' [Heartbreak Ridge ref fulfilled], so no way was I going to try getting up there.
Also set a box-fan to blow up the ladder / opening, for fresh cooler air.

With an assist from a bud handing up batts and cutting a few, it took just under 2hrs, starting very early this morning. Got out before the heat got bad.

My Name's Rayra. I Build Things.

ETA: and  fatwa on the dummy that installed a vent-turban halfway down the roof, instead of near the peak. wtf was HE thinking?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top