Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2001 8:28:06 PM EDT
I wonder if this has ever happened to anyone else here?

I was sitting around the house this evening after having had a nice dinner with the wife and kids. I noticed that we were low on milk, so I offered to go to the grocery store. Of course the wife had a list, so now I'm going grocery shopping. Just so happens that I needed  to pick up the latest Shotgun News too.

Ran all the errands and turned around and  headed for home. On the way back, I figured I'd just take a peek at the local sporting goods store. Now, usually this particular store is a little overpriced, so I didn't expect to find anything, just hoping.

Went straight back to the gun counter. $760.00 HK USP45. Same price for the compact 40 and 9mm. $580.00 Beretta 92FS. $600.00 Glocks. $500.00 Benelli Nova. You get the picture. Then I spotted it.

HS2000 for $299.00. At the latest show around here, they were $325.00. I was going to order one through my FFL contact, but his shop is 15 miles away, never too convenient.

I asked if this price was correct. The counter guy said he couldn't give them away, and that he hadn't heard any reviews on them yet.

Snapped it up. 10 day waiting period, but I'm in no hurry.

What am I gonna tell the wife?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Telling the wife is the easy part, keeping her from thinking that you bought it as a present for her might be a little tougher.

You've got to ease into it a little cautiously.

Practice this line..."Honey I've got something to show you, but before I do, you need to understand that I'll share it with you, but I really bought it for me"

Follow up with this line..."If you really like it, I'll see about getting you one for (birthday, Christmas, Valentine's, Wedding anniv.)"

Works like a charm every time.  Mine didn't even bat an eyelash over my Eagle CAR pre-ban.

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By operator error:

View Quote

tell her you got mugged. They took $299 + DROS fee. So you had to buy another gun just to protect yourself.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By operator error:
10 day waiting period, but I'm in no hurry.

[i]That sucks for you[/i]

View Quote

[i]The real question is: What is she gonna tell you?[/i]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Easy!!!
10 days from now tell her you are going
to pick up some milk and eggs.

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Two years ago I went to local Walmart to pickup TP for the house.  I came back 30 minutes later with a Winchester 94 instead.  Wife was pissed... not because I got the rifle but because I forgot the TP.  Made me run right back to get TP so I went back and got TP and 3 boxes of 30-30 ammo.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Last Christmas, I went to a bud who is a jewler to get the wife and daughter some earrings. Ended up with the earrings, an excellent condition Garand, Arasaka 99, and Ari 38. Oh well, the wife is kinda used to me by now.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#7]
My problem, if it can be called that, is the opposite. My wife stops at gun shops on her way home and buys guns.
BTW, SOG list the HS2000 for $239. Of course that is dealer cost so by the time you pay shipping, FFL transfer.................
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Wot the hell is an HS2000?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#9]
[url]http://www.hsarms.com/ [/url]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Chairborne Ranger:
View Quote

Its kinda a cross between a glock and a sig.  My dad just got one, very accurate, very reliable, very well made--for the price, you cant beat it.

Reverend73
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Chairborne Ranger:
View Quote

A reasonably priced Glock with a grip safety ala Colt 1911 and without the hype.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#12]
went out for ferret food once, and came back with a Bushmaster AR15,....About 3 days later, I went out for some .223 ammo for a trip to the range the following day,......came back with a case of .223, 500 rnds of 7.62x39,....and a Norinco AK.
[uzi]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow.  Looks kinda cool.  How much are extra mags?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#14]
This is the way it SHOULD be. It's kinda like buying army men at the grocery store when you were a kid and were sent to get something.

Only your older now and for some reason I can't begin to fathom, grocery stores do NOT sell guns.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Tell her you thought you saw "Oprah" in the backyard doing a book signing and sneek it in through the front and into the safe.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 4:42:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 4:55:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I was only dropping by just to say "hello" to my FFL Dealer and end up bying a Colt R6520 and a Belgium Hi Power. At this rate, I will go broke soon.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:32:20 AM EDT
[#18]
My mother-in-law has a trick that took my father-in-law years to figure out...maybe it will help.

Sneak that pistol into the house and hide it.  Don't even pull it out for 3-4 months.  Then, when you DO take it out and she notices it she'll say something like "OK Mister, what is that!?!"

You're response:  "What, this?  Oh I've had this for months!!!"
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:32:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Why don't you just tell her you bought a new gun? The day my wife starts complaining about me either getting a new gun, going  hunting, fishing or playing baseball/softball is the day she will get booted out the door. These subjects are completely off limits to her approval/disapproval/comments. Some of you guys need to draw a line somewhere.....
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#20]
This sort of thing happens to me all too frequently. My favorite gun store is right on the way to the grocery store. My big problem is making sure I have enough cash left for the groceries.

BTW, that HS2000 looks like it will have enough safeties and stuff on it to be sold in MA. I hope so, it's really hard to find a new semi-auto around here anymore.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#21]
HS2000's look like the copied GLOCK's design in a lot of ways. They are made in Croatia (IIRC) They are supposed to be very good "combat" weapons. I think you got a great deal.

You'll have to tell the wife, and maybe expalin to her sometimes you just get lost, maybe if you got a gps unit for the car.........
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 8:26:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Kolchak,
    I e-mailed HS-Arms a few months ago to ask if they were MA-compliant yet.  They said in their response that they were trying to get the manufacturer to include a spent casing with each gun so they could ship to MA.  I don't think they need that though, so maybe it's time to e-mail them again and ask them.  I'd love to get my hands on one of those.  It'd go nicely with my Sig229 and the factory-rebuild pre-ban Glock23 I brought into the state the other week.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I have something of a similar problem:

Went for groceries yesterday.  We were just going to pick up milk and bread, maybe yoghurt.

Ended up buying close to $100 in food.

Now, if I could just figure out how to stop spending so much on food, maybe I could get a new gun every couple of months.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#24]
That HS2000 looks like a S&W attempt at a Glock.

How good are they?

BISHOP
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#25]
The HS is a great gun!  I've had my for a year and put maybe 1500 rounds through it.  Another nice feature of the pistol is it will take a S&W 59 series mags (I've got a pro-mag)  So now I can carry 16 rounds in my 9mm.  (And its still legal in the free republics)

40 cal comes out at the end of the summer.

Worldskipper
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#26]
The HS is a great gun!  I've had my for a year and put maybe 1500 rounds through it.  Another nice feature of the pistol is it will take a S&W 59 series mags (I've got a pro-mag)  So now I can carry 16 rounds in my 9mm.  (And its still legal in the free republics)

40 cal comes out at the end of the summer.

Worldskipper
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#27]
WEnt in to the gun store on the 7th of Jul and walked out with an HS2000 for $300 (its nice to have a CCW and be able to walk with a new gun and no waiting period).

I took it out and the thing shoots awesome. I would encourage anyone looking for a new pistola to check them out. Just my 2 cents.

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#28]
My, soon to be, wife and me when 'window' shopping (we were in the neighbor hood and need to say hi to the gun shop...my second home) and I walked out with a DMPS AR15 heavly '16 bbl, flat top, weaver mil dot scope, haris bipod, a second '16 upper with iron sights and 10 30round mags.  So I have her broken in on how window shopping can mean that I drop a $1000 on a gun that 'we need'.

Now no one tell her that you dont need all different cal. for different things.  You know there are times you need a 9mm or a .40 or a .45 so you better have a few of each.  Or some 3 gun shoots its better to have a .223 vs a 7.62x39 but I still need the AK.  

One more thing is preconditioning.  You tell her right after you bought a new one that you need to start looking for a 'new' gun because (insert a good reason here) and in a few months when you see a great deal or just buy something you can say that your have been telling her for months that you were going to.
My .1/2 cents
Riz
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
operator error, what gun store had them for $299?

BTW, according to their website, the HS2000 is MA and CA compliant.
View Quote

Dom's Outdoor Outfitters, 1870 First St. in Livermore. (925)447-9629. The guy at the counter said that they had a few more in the back room.

And yeah, it's on the CA list!

Edited to add the address and phone #.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why don't you just tell her you bought a new gun? The day my wife starts complaining about me either getting a new gun, going  hunting, fishing or playing baseball/softball is the day she will get booted out the door. These subjects are completely off limits to her approval/disapproval/comments. Some of you guys need to draw a line somewhere.....
View Quote

Actually the wife is very supportive of my hobbies. I was really only kidding with the "what should I tell my wife" line. Just trying to stimulate some replies.

In my family, shooting is a family affair.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#32]
WELL SAID This really works.

Sneak that pistol into the house and hide it.  Don't even pull it out for 3-4 months.  Then, when you DO take it out and she notices it she'll say something like "OK Mister, what is that!?!"

You're response:  "What, this?  Oh I've had this for months!!!"[/quote]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:36:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Hey XeroSygnal,
 Nice to see someone else from MA. We have a pretty tough time here, although not as bad as some states. I don't think they have to have a spent shell casing yet, do they? I'm really getting excited about seeing this pistol. Except for the rebuilt Glocks all the good stuff at my gun store is in the LEO only case. Makes me sick. Looking forward to seeing more posts from you.
                       Kolchak
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top