Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/12/2005 7:35:31 AM EDT
Hope this isnt a dupe.. But an Interesting Read if you live in Cali.

www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/576.asp

California Crackdown on Modified Cars
$5 million in federal money will fund a Sacramento, California effort to stop drivers in modified cars.

Police in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout California generating significant revenue for the state and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the Calfiornia Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.

Article Excerpt:
"We're looking to make a heavy impact on speeding and street racing in this area," Sacramento Police Deputy Chief Steve Segura said during a press conference with local and state officials on Del Paso Road in North Natomas.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:38:32 AM EDT
[#2]
GOOD!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#3]
It's just a decoration is all.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#4]
The Govt of California is just doing what commies do best!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a harley near us that I would like to shove his pipe up his A$$.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

HAHA, bubb rubb...

It's like an alarm clock.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:51:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm never one who understood the appeal of modifying cars, but as long as they continue to meet the emission and crash requirements, what exactly is the problem with it?

NTM
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm never one who understood the appeal of modifying cars, but as long as they continue to meet the emission and crash requirements, what exactly is the problem with it?

NTM

I'm guessing they're also looking for vehicles with catcons removed, and those annoyingly loud exhaust systems?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Having a sticker on your car is PC for a search?  Having an aftermarket tach is PC for a search?

Total BS.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#10]
STICKERS?!?!

good ole Commiefornia
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#11]
It's good to know they can use "racing stickers" as part of their PC to stop and search a car.  Better hope Cali doesn't decide that a NRA sticker is PC to tear apart your car looking for "assault weapons."
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#12]
There's something magical and exciting about beating someones 70k dollar supercar with a car that cost a 1/10th of mine, has 1/2 as many cylinders and 3/4s less displacement.

I just like going fast, shooting guns, playing guitar, and screwing with computers. Guess I'm just weird. Funny how all my hobbies seem to be highly taxing on my wallet. I need a raise.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:02:17 AM EDT
[#13]
i hope it works...before california goes under water when the san andreas fault shifts beyond no return..
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It's good to know they can use "racing stickers" as part of their PC to stop and search a car.  Better hope Cali doesn't decide that a NRA sticker is PC to tear apart your car looking for "assault weapons."

LOL....someone IS on the same page as me!  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Good point!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:08:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point!!

No that would be wrong, while this is fine cause we don't like them very much.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Everytime I stick the guns in the car I look at that sticker and wonder the same thing.

When "living on the edge" = having an NRA sticker on your car, you start to wonder WTF.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HAHA, bubb rubb...

EDIT:  Anyone have a link to download that Bubb Rubb video?  Lost mine.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah I've encountered a few police that seem to think stickers is cause for a search.

When I was 16 I had band stickers all over the rear of my car, and got pulled over for doing 58 in a 55, it took 4 squad cars and 7 police officers to hold 3 teenagers with their hands on the hood of the car for 3 hours in 20 degree weather while they searched the whole car. Their reason? I don't know I wasn't aware you could deny a search at the time. If I'd known more of the law at that time I'd have done something about it.

So in essence I got to freeze my ass off because a bunch of cops were bored, of course they found nothing except a pocket knife in my pocket, then told us to be on our way. I still get pissed when I think about that.

Now the only stickers on my car is an NRA and one from my favorite gun shop
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Eventually, everything that is either cool or fun will be illegal in this country. California is just a sign of what's to come...

If they have a street racing problem, then they need to build more dragstrips, or recreational facilities for kids to hang out in.

That's the problem nowadays... There's no place for kids to "hang-out" anymore without some form of harrassment.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Anything they say about how it's for safety, or to keep "Drag racers" in check, or clean air concerns, or their irrational hatred of Asians (pretty neat for such a liberal state),  ALL of it is pure and simple bullshit. They don't care one bit about safety, air, Asians, stickers, tires,  or mufflers. Of course, they SAY that's what their motivation is, but as usual they are telling a lie. The second paragraph of the article clearly explains the real reason eanybody is even talking about this:

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout California generating significant revenue for the state and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Never forget to follow the money. Politicians are expert at hiding their greed for it beneath every manner of feel good, public safety related, green Earth bullshit they can think up.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Good thing the cops are focusing on the real criminals

So now we will have more "safety checkpoints" - yoi.

(I have no problem with regular car inspections, seeing some of the shit on the roads from Ohio over the years, bumpers falling off etc. - one thing I would support is complete release of auto mfg. from ALL liability when some shithead decides he knows more about Engineering than those who do it for a living, and modifies the running gear of the car)

As for decals, "turbo" badges & giant wings, they are ghey, but whatever floats yer boat...

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Eventually, everything that is either cool or fun will be illegal in this country. California is just a sign of what's to come...

If they have a street racing problem, then they need to build more dragstrips, or recreational facilities for kids to hang out in.

That's the problem nowadays... There's no place for kids to "hang-out" anymore without some form of harrassment.

sadly, i feel the same.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
GOOD!

+1

However I don't understand why you would auction off an illegal vehicle.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HAHA, bubb rubb...

home.comcast.net/~vx/bubbrubb.gif

The whistles go Whooooooo-Whooooo!

More Bubb-Rubb stuff
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sadly, i feel the same.

the city of San Antonio did this a few years back because the street racing had gotten so bad.  from what ive heard, it worked and there is alot less of it on the streets.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Fine with me.

If they could nab the asshole who keeps gunning it up Lee's street at 2 in the morning, then I'd be happy.  Dude does it 4 or 5 times a night.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Purely a revenue generating front. Nothing more.
99.5% of cops out here have no idea what their looking at under the hood.
I too fear the sticker as PC for a search. I have nothing to hide ever, but sheesh, what the hell is that about.
I feel bad about how the modern traffic cop is often no more than the "tax man" these days.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#32]
hmm, maybe modding an AR should be probable cause too.  Red dot sight, VFG, rails, etc. should give police an indication taht youre up to no good  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:45:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HAHA, bubb rubb...

home.comcast.net/~vx/bubbrubb.gif

The whistles go Whooooooo-Whooooo!

More Bubb-Rubb stuff

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Man.. Thats a really good point!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
GOOD!

+1 here as well

All of laws being used to "target" whoever have been on the books for along time.  There is no excuse for not obeying the basics like front plates, window tint, too low or loud etc.  The PoPo already uses these simple infractions as PC for traffic stops..  yes.. say its not so.  And yes.. it is commonplace for an officer conducting a traffic stop for any of the mods listed to examine your vehicle for any additional modifications.  

I think the intentions of the latest program are to get the "Fast and Furious" wannabees to stop illegal street and drag racing and endangering the public with reckless driving around town.

I have no problem with the car owner who adds some flash to their ride, bottle, fancy glowing gauge face, aftermarket tacs, spoiler, whatever...  that doesnt frost me..  

what does is the louder than an F1, lowered with aftermarket too bright headlights, stereo bumping so I cant hear myself talk, no signaling to lane change or cutting me off because your car can fit in between my truck and the car in front of me, lame nitrous purging becuase you can, and lack of respect to others because you think you and your car are badass.  

Its not just cars too sorry to say... I know from a personal encounter with a Fremont PD officer who pulled over my friends lifted 04 sliverado and crawled underneath with a creeper to check his "illegal" 4" exhaust.   After 40mins on the side of highway 680, he got a cite for illegal lift, too high headlights, modified exhaust, and modification of smog device (no cat).. press hard please, three copies..   Best part was the officer didnt even show for court and everything was dismissed.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#36]
whoever was lookin for bubb rubb download - google is your friend:

www.ebaumsworld.com/bubbrubb.html

Doh - i just noticed someone else posted the link... Ah well. Bubb Rubb is a kook.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sadly, i feel the same.

the city of San Antonio did this a few years back because the street racing had gotten so bad.  from what ive heard, it worked and there is alot less of it on the streets.  

That's how organized drag racing was born to begin with. Of course, over the years, most strips in SoCal have been shut down and bulldozed over.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I have no problem with the car owner who adds some flash to their ride, bottle, fancy glowing gauge face, aftermarket tacs, spoiler, whatever...  that doesnt frost me..  

what does is the louder than an F1, lowered with aftermarket too bright headlights, stereo bumping so I cant hear myself talk, no signaling to lane change or cutting me off because your car can fit in between my truck and the car in front of me, lame nitrous purging becuase you can, and lack of respect to others because you think you and your car are badass.  

I couldn't have said it better.

While I will continue to point at laugh at plastic body kits and ridiculous spoilers that make your Civic look like a maxi pad, I won't get pissed off.  I will get pissed off when your fart can exhaust wakes me up at three in the morning because you wanted to show off to your ex-girlfriend.  Or when you ride my ass 4 inches away from my bumper because I don't feel like doing 95.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Cats what cats, do I have those
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.

Like the idea, BUT NOT THE WAY IT'S GOING TO BE ENFORCED!  Use some of those speeding tickets revenue and buy some stink'n decimeters and actually issue a valid ticket.  

Everyone would have a shit fit if an officer could issue speeding tickets based on Officer judgment and not a radar gun

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Anything they say about how it's for safety, or to keep "Drag racers" in check, or clean air concerns, or their irrational hatred of Asians (pretty neat for such a liberal state),  ALL of it is pure and simple bullshit. They don't care one bit about safety, air, Asians, stickers, tires,  or mufflers. Of course, they SAY that's what their motivation is, but as usual they are telling a lie. The second paragraph of the article clearly explains the real reason eanybody is even talking about this:

Never forget to follow the money. Politicians are expert at hiding their greed for it beneath every manner of feel good, public safety related, green Earth bullshit they can think up.

You are putting the cart before the horse.  All the things that they are impounding cars for have been laws for a long time.  They have been laws for a long time, because for as long as there have been conveyances there have been laws to moderate the danger and nuisance associated with those conveyances.  Only willful blindness, or retardation, could obscure the fact that the condition of one's vehicle has a real and direct impact on the wellbeing of others every time it is operated.  If everyone was a responsible vehicle owner and employed best practices to minimize the harm to others in the operation of their vehicle, we wouldn't need such laws.  Obviously, we aren't even close to that, especially in California.  

The only thing that's new is that now police departments have a carrot to finally enforce laws that they should have been enforcing all along.  The idea that this is some kind of conspiracy to persecute Asians is, well, stupid.  If Asians are disproportionatly affected, it is because they a dispropotionately engaging in this particular illegal behavior, Tough Shit!

Hopefully this spreads everywhere.  It is a welcome change from the usual punish every body with some kind of expensive annual inspection mentality in this state.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I couldn't have said it better.

While I will continue to point at laugh at plastic body kits and ridiculous spoilers that make your Civic look like a maxi pad, I won't get pissed off.  I will get pissed off when your fart can exhaust wakes me up at three in the morning because you wanted to show off to your ex-girlfriend.  Or when you ride my ass 4 inches away from my bumper because I don't feel like doing 95.  

+1 noise is unnecessary.  Safety violations suck.  assholes are just assholes.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

(I have no problem with regular car inspections, seeing some of the shit on the roads from Ohio over the years, bumpers falling off etc. - one thing I would support is complete release of auto mfg. from ALL liability when some shithead decides he knows more about Engineering than those who do it for a living, and modifies the running gear of the car)

As for decals, "turbo" badges & giant wings, they are ghey, but whatever floats yer boat...

Agreed.  Paint you car a stupid color, put silly accessories on it.  Knock yourself out.   But it you modify it to cause more noise, or more pollution, or to make it more dangerous*,  then the people have a legitimate beef with you.

*By more dangerous, I don't mean more powerful, I mean really stupid stuff like shitty suspension mods that affect vehicle stabilty and control, over size wheels and tires that affect handling and exceed the design limits of the running gear (colleage of mine was killed by such a wheel that broke off, so it is not a theoretical danger).  

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are putting the cart before the horse.  All the things that they are impounding cars for have been laws for a long time.  They have been laws for a long time, because for as long as there have been conveyances there have been laws to moderate the danger and nuisance associated with those conveyances.  Only willful blindness, or retardation, could obscure the fact that the condition of one's vehicle has a real and direct impact on the wellbeing of others every time it is operated.  If everyone was a responsible vehicle owner and employed best practices to minimize the harm to others in the operation of their vehicle, we wouldn't need such laws.  Obviously, we aren't even close to that, especially in California.  

The only thing that's new is that now police departments have a carrot to finally enforce laws that they should have been enforcing all along.  The idea that this is some kind of conspiracy to persecute Asians is, well, stupid.  If Asians are disproportionatly affected, it is because they a dispropotionately engaging in this particular illegal behavior, Tough Shit!

Hopefully this spreads everywhere.  It is a welcome change from the usual punish every body with some kind of expensive annual inspection mentality in this state.

Don't get me wrong - I don't disagree with enforcing vehicle safety laws, and morons that race on the street give true drag racers a bad image. Don't get me started on the excessively loud mufflers that make these powerful beasts sound like one long drawn out fart, or the boom boom sound systems that easily permeate the walls of every house they drive by.

However, the state's interest is solely in the revenue. Nothing will ever convince me otherwise. If they really gave one half of a crap about all that other stuff, they would criminalize it and jail offenders. Instead, they fine them and confisgate their cars, to be sold at auction later. It doesnt' take a genius to figure out what motivates them.  It very similar to the way they tax and fine tobacco users, rather than simply ban tobacco. Banning tobacco would hit their state (federal too) pocket books, thus they "tolerate" it (quite happily). Maybe I'm a cynic, but I've seen it time and time again.  Follow the money (or sometimes, the power).
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#45]
I have a 94 escort,

It has 13' brakes with 4 piston calipers, I will have a new engine built for it and I will put it in, it has a 92 nissan skyline rear end lights plus custom molding and it is will be painted steel metalic blue.

I have  a full SS exhaust but it is well withen US specs, I UPGRADED the suspension.

WTF did I do/will be doing that is illegal?

PS: I am stationed in Germany so i dont give a fuck what commiefornia says, if I drive thru there and they pull me over, I will bring me to court.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sadly, i feel the same.

Yeah, San Antonio Raceway runs 3 nights a week and has a lot of import events.  It seems to be working here.  Of course the media calls any car racing on streets "drag racing."

Growing up in the 60s, I have a real love for hot rods, musclecars, and custom bikes, etc.  These kids put a lot of work into their cars and they are pretty damn smart about how to do it.  People like to disparage the imports, but they do it in the original rodder tradition - take a small car, go to the junkyard and get the biggest engine that will fit, shoehorn it in, and go from there.

Maybe they should quit wasting their time and join a gang, instead - there probably isn't the same enthusiasm about going after them, but some goofy kid in a hopped up Honda, he's easy to harrass.

that they would use $5 million in federal money

I'm really glad my tax money is going for something worthwile and that more money in fines and seizures will come from it - pretty profitable...

I wonder where the insurance companies are hiding in all of this?

All we want is to do our own thing in our own time without being hassled by the man...
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
There's something magical and exciting about beating someones 70k dollar supercar with a car that cost a 1/10th of mine, has 1/2 as many cylinders and 3/4s less displacement.

I just like going fast, shooting guns, playing guitar, and screwing with computers. Guess I'm just weird. Funny how all my hobbies seem to be highly taxing on my wallet. I need a raise.

I know what you mean.

My bone stock $35,000 300c is a tank at 4800 lbs, but it reglularly dusts those annoying modified exhaust sporting compacts.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Oh really?
The majority of tax payers in our town said the kids need a skateboard park to get them off the streets. it cost us 50K for it and guess what. The kids still skate in the street and I see a whole 2 kids using it on any ginving day. Total waste of money!

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah I've encountered a few police that seem to think stickers is cause for a search.

When I was 16 I had band stickers all over the rear of my car, and got pulled over for doing 58 in a 55, it took 4 squad cars and 7 police officers to hold 3 teenagers with their hands on the hood of the car for 3 hours in 20 degree weather while they searched the whole car. Their reason? I don't know I wasn't aware you could deny a search at the time. If I'd known more of the law at that time I'd have done something about it.

So in essence I got to freeze my ass off because a bunch of cops were bored, of course they found nothing except a pocket knife in my pocket, then told us to be on our way. I still get pissed when I think about that.

Now the only stickers on my car is an NRA and one from my favorite gun shop

Where does it get down to 20 degrees in California?

>edited to add: <

You couldn't pay me to live in Cali!

And that car wasn't even modded, it was a pos teal 92 mustang 4 banger. Possibly the slowest car I've ever driven...but it was a beast offroad!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#50]
I hope you just don't mean cars? Harleys are louder so let's quiet them down too. I also can't stand hearing private planes anymore so quiet them also . Actually I have a big list but I think everyone will get the point.
If we are going to have noise restrictions make them apply to everything not just import cars!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.  Paint you car a stupid color, put silly accessories on it.  Knock yourself out.   But it you modify it to cause more noise, or more pollution, or to make it more dangerous*,  then the people have a legitimate beef with you.

*By more dangerous, I don't mean more powerful, I mean really stupid stuff like shitty suspension mods that affect vehicle stabilty and control, over size wheels and tires that affect handling and exceed the design limits of the running gear (colleage of mine was killed by such a wheel that broke off, so it is not a theoretical danger).  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top