Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 6:38:12 AM EDT
I am booking some travel for the wife unit.  Travel is in Sept/Oct.

The best airline for price and non-stop for her trip is NWA or America West.  NWA has better departure time of day.

Problem I have is this "feeling" I read something about their imminent demise.  But for the life of me I can't remember.

I would hate to book travel and buy tickets only to have her lose the tickets.

Anyone know the status of NWA?  Am I thinking of another airline?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:46:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Would you want to fly on an airline that is about to replace all it's maintence staff overnight?  We in Michigan call them Northworst.  They suck.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:48:31 AM EDT
[#2]
They are rated as the worst airline.

Redtails...Terrible Airline.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#3]
They are about to dump 53% of the maintinence workforce here in Minnesota too
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:55:03 AM EDT
[#4]
No affiliation with NWA - I don't even know anyone who works for NWA, but I TRY to fly NWA whenever possible because I have gotten better service with them than with American or United.

FWIW and YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:57:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Northworst’s mechanics could go on strike on August 20.  The flight attendants will go on a sympathy strike the same time.  Just like British Air this morning, could leave you and 70,000 of your fellow travelers stranded.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Flying Phoenix to Minneapolis-St. Paul or something?  I haven't heard any news on Northwest to stop flying other than labor, which seems like an all the time thing, so I'd expect them to be around.  Depends exactly when the trip is.  These days airlines die a noisy death with bankruptcy and all that while they still fly and collect money.  Particularly for airlines of that size.  The Braniff closures were sudden, but that was a while ago.

If it were me, I'd probably go with the America West flight just to collect miles on the hometown airline...plus America West has their new slogan that I think they adopted from Qwest..."We're not happy unless you're not happy."

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.  I KNEW I heard something was going on with them. Sucks to have alzshiemiers at 50

I would rather she fly America West.  But, this is a PHX-Memphis trip.  These two airlines are the only two non-stop.

Last trip she took America West.  She had the aisle seat.  Another girl had the window seat.  Some guy near 400 lbs took the center seat for this 3 hour trip.  The only way he could sit was for both armrests to be raised.

You know, I have empathy for obese people.  But not at the expense of MY comfort on a flight.

At a certain point the airlines have a responsibility to make sure an overlarge passenger doesn't infringe on another passengers space or sell them TWO freeking seats.  Hell, I have no idea how these people use the bathrooms in a plane.  I am large at 6' 200 lbs and I have trouble turning around in those things.  How does a 400 pound person do it?

Not sure I can convince her to fly Amer West again.  And the departure times are MUCH better on NWA.

Well, I won't be here when she travels so ˆ'll let her choose with this information and live with the consequences.

Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I fly for NWA. Do what you want but NWA will still be flying after August 19th, the AMFA strike deadline. The F/A's are voting on a sympathy strike but it won't happen IMHO. They have a very weak union and will be fired if they try it. They can be replaced easier than the mechanics if they do try it. The pilots will not honor it. We never have and there is no reason to now.

All the airlines are stuggling now. Some worse than others. UAL, US Air, Delta to name a few. NWA as well but we are in better shape than those mentioned.

We all have our good days and bad days flying. Sorry to those of you that had a bad experience. For all of you there are millions that got from pt. A to pt. B. safely and efficiently but you don't hear from them.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Fingers,

Actually the bad experience was with America West.  The odd thing is I travel as much or more than my wife but SHE always gets screwed traveling.  I don't get it.

I've made 10-20 trips between Asia and Phoenix the last 5 years.  I have NEVER failed to arrive at my destination within a few hours of schedule.  I have had problems but they are always solved somehow.

She spends the night in LAX on one of her 5 trips there.  Go figure?

I am sick at the condition of the airline inductry today.  Too many have problems.  I don't know what the solution is but it can't be bad management at that many airlines.  There has to be some underlying issues driving so many of them to the brink of bankruptcy and even unloading commited retirement benefits.

My favorite airline is EVA.  So far no problems.  Çourse, they ain't doing much flying here in the USA.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Once upon a time, I took an airplane
I went to San Diego, California
That was a three-hour trip
I enjoyed myself, flying in the air

Northwest Airlines
Northwest Airlines
Northwest Airlines
Northwest Airlines
Northwest Airlines

While I was in the air, I had fun
The airplane was at an altitude of 35,000 feet
It was a long trip
It was a fun flight

Northwest Airlines
Northwest Airlines
Northwest Airlines
Northwest Airlines
Northwest Airlines

The people on the airplane were nice
I chatted with them a lot
I was having a fun time
It was a good flight

Northwest Airlines
Northwest Airlines
Northwest Airlines
Northwest Airlines
Northwest Airlines

American Airlines, we mean business in Chicago

- The Late Wesley Willis
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Until recently I always flew Northwest and never had any problems. My flights always left on time and arrived on time or early into Detroit or Oklahoma City.

Recently flew American and both legs of my flight left late.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I've ridden quite a bit on Northwest the past year...........I thought for the most part, they did an outstanding job.  

However, be careful about getting stranded.

vmax84

Edited to add:  Flew a lot on their old DC-9's.  Old airplane, yes.  But, I'd much rather be on one of them than one of their many airbuses.    Vintage jets rock!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Even before their problems they sucked. I will never fly them again.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Edited to add:  Flew a lot on their old DC-9's.  Old airplane, yes.  But, I'd much rather be on one of them than one of their many airbuses.    Vintage jets rock!!!

Dude, I like vintage guitar amplifiers but vinatge airplanes?  WHY.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to fly NWA/KLM a lot when I was going overseas, but the in the last 5 years, I have avoided NWA like the plague. If I need to go from Kansas City to Minneapolis, I will drive. Those tired old tin-can DC-Whines are just horrible. Nasty hags for waitresses, never on time, filthy airplanes, surly gate agents ... if I wanted all that shit, I'd go Greyhound.

That said, all air travel in the US now sucks. Southwest isn't too bad of an airline, it's the pax on SWA that I can't stand. Every broke-dick MF that can scrounge together $39 is on every flight, especially in the summer. The great unwashed get on a jet that will be flying at >35,000 ft. wearing board shorts and flip-flops, then complain because it's cold in the plane. Fucktards.

Anymore, pax on commercial flights are regarded as cargo, not paying customers. The comfort and convenience of the passenger falls far down on the list of priorities for every major airline.

I used to love air travel. Now I hate it, and that's notwithstanding any gripes I have with the whole TSA fiasco.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:58:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, I like vintage guitar amplifiers but vinatge airplanes?  WHY.

I've got a soft spot for the '27 even though the 737-400 carries as many people, weighs 1/2-2/3 as much when loaded, sips less fuel, is more powerful, and quieter and the 727.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Last trip she took America West.  She had the aisle seat.  Another girl had the window seat.  Some guy near 400 lbs took the center seat for this 3 hour trip.  The only way he could sit was for both armrests to be raised.

At a certain point the airlines have a responsibility to make sure an overlarge passenger doesn't infringe on another passengers space or sell them TWO freeking seats.  

On a full flight, what airline will anything significant in such a situation?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Robbie,

The seats on the domestic jets are small enough already.  If you  get someone too large next to you taking part of your seat that just isn't on.

The airlines advertise their flights with specified seating which includes seat SIZE.  That means I get the whole seat as specified.  If someone won't fit the seat size it is not the other paying passenger that should suffer.

Force large people to buy a business class seat.  Or 2 seats in economy.  If they can't afford it they should take a bus.  Or use their weekly twinkie money to upgrade their seat.  If it is a medical condition (which describes like 1% of obese people) then show the airline a doctors note and they must upgrade for a song or some such.  But NO WAY should another paying passenger have to submit to having some 400 pound person lean on them for 3 hours.  And in this case my wife mentioned his hygiene wasn't so good either.

I know if it had been me and he came down the aisle as the door was closing (as my wife describes it) I would have refused to let him in.  I would have rung the attendant and just said unless he can fit inside the seat in the middle he isn't sitting there.  And it was obvious he could not.  I am not giving up my space.  Fuck PC.  Being polite so I can need a chiropractor and can't do anything for a week is not a deal.  

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:34:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Robbie,

The seats on the domestic jets are small enough already.  If you  get someone too large next to you taking part of your seat that just isn't on.

The airlines advertise their flights with specified seating which includes seat SIZE.  That means I get the whole seat as specified.  If someone won't fit the seat size it is not the other paying passenger that should suffer.

Force large people to buy a business class seat.  Or 2 seats in economy.  If they can't afford it they should take a bus.  Or use their weekly twinkie money to upgrade their seat.  If it is a medical condition (which describes like 1% of obese people) then show the airline a doctors note and they must upgrade for a song or some such.  But NO WAY should another paying passenger have to submit to having some 400 pound person lean on them for 3 hours.  And in this case my wife mentioned his hygiene wasn't so good either.

I know if it had been me and he came down the aisle as the door was closing (as my wife describes it) I would have refused to let him in.  I would have rung the attendant and just said unless he can fit inside the seat in the middle he isn't sitting there.  And it was obvious he could not.  I am not giving up my space.  Fuck PC.  Being polite so I can need a chiropractor and can't do anything for a week is not a deal.  

Sure, in a perfect world and I agree on the "shoulda's." I've been on a lotta flights and I'm an airline retiree.  But in practice, I don't know of an airline that takes significant steps in such situations.   Similarly, if when somebody "stands their ground" (regardless of the reason) during the boarding process in today's environment, they get kicked off the flight.  It's the exception, but it takes place.

I've sold double seats to some large people before, I remember one pro wrestler who always bought  two seats...real nice guy.  However if we take a situation such as a full flight and nobody notices that there's gonna be an issue until a giant guy shows up to sit next to you, I'd say that most of the time the airline isn't going to be kicking the big guy off the plane because the person next to him doesn't want to snuggle.  More commonly, if the non-snuggler makes an issue, they'll off to put the non-snuggler on another flight.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:07:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I think there is a lawsuit waiting to happen over this.  

If the large person is unkempt, sweaty, and shows poor hygeine there is a legitimate health issue.  In the case of my wife, she has a very weak immune system.  She is being treated for it.  She does NOT need lots of physical contact with "unknowns".

Some contact is unavoidable during travel.  Being leaned on by someone for a 3 hour flight represents more than just discomfort (which in itself is a potential lawsuit).  Virii and germs are transmitted via contact.  None of us needs it.

I would stand my ground, force them to  kick me off the plane.  Then I would bring the lawsuit.  I don't like solving problems that way but if the airlines are not going to respect that my seat is MY SEAT then legal action is the only solution I know.  

This is one of the reasons I travel so little in the US.  The US airlines have become tijuana buses for the "unwashed" masses.  I don't know about Europe but in Asia you rarely see people travel who look like they haven't bathed or they wear gym shorts and sleeveless shirt.  It is "polite" there to be clean and properly attired for public travel.  The concept that being presentable in a public situation has disappeared here.  And the concept that a persons rights end when they impact someone elses seems to as well.  We are supposed to "accept" the low class "culture" of so many of our citizens even if they stink.  And we are supposed to accept that obese people are victims and let them cause US to suffer so they aren't embarassed.  Well, they aren't victims in my mind and I don't accept that I should suffer so they can travel.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top