BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 11:40:13 PM EDT
Day laborers erect 'Levyville'
BY BART JONES
STAFF WRITER
August 12, 2005
www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lifarm0812,0,6241042.story?coll=ny-top-headlines
About 20 Mexican immigrants set up a "tent city" Thursday next to a Farmingville house shuttered by Brookhaven Town officials because it was overcrowded, and an activist gave them supplies for a sign calling their community "Levyville," in reference to Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy.

The tenants of 196 Berkshire Dr., most of them day laborers but including four youngsters ages 10 to 17, said they spent Wednesday night sleeping in four tents on the property or on a concrete slab next to the house.

A Latino activist, the Rev. Allan Ramirez, gave the immigrants sheets and spray paint for the "Levyville" sign. "It is the county that is responsible when there is homelessness in the community," he said.

The house was ordered shut by a court order sought by Brookhaven Town officials. According to court papers, town inspectors determined the house was home to 14 to 42 tenants on different days, and had various violations including blocked doors, exposed electrical wires and no smoke detectors. The town has moved to close seven houses containing as many as 240 tenants since late June.

A county official said Suffolk played no role in the shuttering of the house, the latest in a crackdown on illegally overcrowded housing in Brookhaven Town.

"I think the criticism is misplaced on this," said Levy spokesman Ed Dumas. "It was a 100 percent Brookhaven action without coordination with the county."

Brookhaven Councilman Jim Tullo said town officials are enforcing local housing and safety codes and said the town does not offer emergency shelter for the homeless.

"It's our charge to make sure that we can enforce our housing code to protect not only the occupants of these homes but also surrounding residents and protect the integrity and quality of life of the residents," he said. He added, "It's not the town's responsibility to provide a place for them to live."

Dumas said only legal residents are entitled to more than one night in county-financed homeless shelters, and officials are looking to nonprofit organizations, churches and community groups to help. Activists say shelters for undocumented workers are nearly nonexistent in Suffolk.

The erection of the tent city set off a media frenzy Thursday, with TV crews swarming the property as the former tenants of the house told of spending a night sleeping outside. A man who would identify himself only as Ignacio said he was the father of the four youngsters.

"I feel terrible," he said in Spanish. "I'll sleep in a tree, but my children?" He said he and his wife had been separated from two of their children, ages 10 and 15, for the past three years, and that they just arrived in Farmingville two weeks ago.

"They threw us out worse than animals," his wife, who did not want to be named, said in Spanish. "They don't have any heart. It's not human."

Thursday's scene provoked anger among some neighbors such as Michele Braun, 36. "This is disgusting. It's a mess," she said. "I think they need to leave. They're bringing down my property value."

But Angela Borruso, 29, who gave bags of food to the tenants, said, "They're human and they're just trying to make a better life for themselves."
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:42:00 PM EDT
[#1]
its about damn time.. illegals should be kicked out the country
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#2]
This is the one place(in the news)that is trying to enforce the housing laws against them
the story keeps coming back
there were a about a hundred houses in the area with 30-50 illegals living in them
it was creating a bad situation for their neighbors and their property values
the authorities finally started kicking them out, and the illegals and the liberals started PROTESTING
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:47:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not send illegal aliens back to mexico?  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I think they should create a joint sheriff's office / INS task force to bord up the houses.

Maybe get the animal control along to help cart the extra ones to jail.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why not send illegal aliens back to mexico?  

"They're human and they're just trying to make a better life for themselves."

the legal citizens were trying to make a better life for themselves
now that the illegals have arrived (illegally)
the legal citizens have to make a better life for the illegals instead

apparently, it makes perfect sense if you are a liberal
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:24:43 AM EDT
[#6]

...town inspectors determined the house was home to 14 to 42 tenants on different days...

The town has moved to close seven houses containing as many as 240 tenants since late June.

"They threw us out worse than animals," his wife, who did not want to be named, said in Spanish. "They don't have any heart. It's not human."

You dumb cunt.  You live in a house designed for what, 4 people, maybe 6 tops, with up to 42 people (with your fucking kids no less ) and then have the UNMITIGATED ARROGANCE to complain that you were treated like animals because you were thrown out?  

YOU WERE LIVING LIKE ANIMALS TO BEGIN WITH, BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take your illegal ass back to where you came from and you won't have to worry about it.

I have NO sympathy for these people.  NONE.  You come here illegally and that's the end of the story as far as I'm concerned.  What happens to you after that, tough fucking shit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:35:54 AM EDT
[#7]
They don't know any better so of course it is our fault, and it seems that this is the only county
in the country that tries to enforce the housing laws against illegals.............now we know why
It just won't work, INS, ICE, IRS should all be there arresting the illegals, but for some reason........
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:43:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm so Goddamn sick and tired of it I could blow a gasket.

What part of "ILLEGAL" is so hard to get?  You and I could get our asses thrown in jail and be ruined for life by violating laws about things that no one even considered to be a problem just a few years ago but someone that is CLEARLY here illegally don't seem to have to worry about shit.

They not only don't have anything to worry about in CLEARLY violating Federal law, they feel so empowered that they actually PROTEST their so-called "mistreatment".

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:47:06 AM EDT
[#9]
seriously, these are people that have entered the country illegally
have been working without paying taxes to support the community
are illegally on welfare and using emergency hospital services without paying
were not screened for communicable diseases or criminal records at the border
they were evicted from overcrowded houses for violating multiple housing laws
and now they are living on the street, which is illegal
(not to mention the other laws they are probably breaking)

this has been in the news for months, where the hell is immigration? do they all need to be fired?

let me rephrase...........they all need to be fired
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Brookhaven Councilman Jim Tullo said town officials are enforcing local housing and safety codes

Why is it a problem to enforce the law against illegals?
Should the supreme court make a decision that grants them
immunity for all laws or just spell out the ones they can ignore?

I saw two illegals involved in a car wreck today
they didn't exchange information, why bother......
and the one that was driving in the wrong lane that caused
the wreck, sped off down the road passing vehicles full of women
and children going both ways, he was driving about 70 in a 30mph
zone on a two lane road with no shoulder, what a bunch of lowlifes..........
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I didn't vote for Levy but if he runs again I will

My question is WHERE ARE THE FEDS IN ALL THIS ?

We are swamped with Illegals here and the Feds refuse to do anything about it
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Then take all that money they make and take back there own country. By force if need be.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#13]
now the rest of you know what kind of shit we've been suffering in the border states for years.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Then take all that money they make and take back there own country. By force if need be.

I hate how mexico is so bad there is a mass exodus from their country to here
but, once they get here they yell "mexico" all the time like it is a great country

they can't\won't fight\vote to make their country better, so they come here and make ours worse..........
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Activists pack Carlsbad town-hall meeting
By: WILLIAM FINN BENNETT - Staff Writer
August 11, 2005
www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/08/12/news/top_stories/20_43_248_11_05.txt
CARLSBAD ---- Thursday night's town-hall meeting on illegal immigration at Carlsbad High School was a decidedly lopsided affair.

Those who showed up after about 4 p.m. for the 7 p.m. meeting didn't get one of the coveted tickets to attend the forum, titled "The Illegal Immigration Crisis."

One anti-illegal immigration advocate inside the school's 400-seat capacity Community Cultural Arts Center said he believed the reason that so few immigration-rights advocates made it inside was because radio talk-show host Roger Hedgecock, who emceed the meeting, gave his listeners a heads-up on his Wednesday radio show.

"Roger told his listeners that we should arrive early, so we could fill up the auditorium," said Orange County resident Shain Sternod, 43. "There was no opposition, and he did not take any questions; so, it turned out not to be a town-hall meeting, just a series of speeches."

When the event's sponsor, state Sen. Bill Morrow, R-Oceanside, asked who among the audience believed the country is in "an immigration crisis" to raise their hands, virtually everyone did so. When he asked for those who didn't believe there is a crisis, only four or five people timidly raised their hands.

The general theme of Thursday night's speakers was that the government and citizens must do something to stop the flow of illegal immigrants into the country.

The more strident of the half-dozen or so speakers was author Madeleine Cosman, who rattled off a litany of problems she said are caused by illegal immigrants, including everything from a spike in the number of sexual predators in California and an increased homicide rate to an increase in the spread of infectious diseases.

The night's featured speaker was U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colorado, who, like Minuteman Project founder Jim Gilchrist, received a standing ovation. Both have achieved nationwide conspicuousness in their push for immigration reform.

The controversial Minuteman Project fielded several hundred volunteers in April along the U.S.-Mexican border in Arizona to observe illegal immigrants and report them to the U.S. Border Patrol. The operation drew worldwide media attention. Many of the volunteers were armed, and over the 30 days of the vigil, they succeeded in reporting 300 illegal immigrants who were then apprehended by Border Patrol agents.

Tancredo has become one of the leading figures in the fight for stronger enforcement of U.S. immigration laws and protecting the nation's borders.

In his speech, Tancredo charmed the like-minded audience with his sense of humor. Talking about a piece of immigration legislation now working its way through Congress, and sponsored by Sens. Ted Kennedy, D-Massachusetts, and John McCain, R-Arizona, Tancredo said: "I call it the McKennedy bill. I don't have to say anything else, but that it is sponsored by Kennedy and McCain."
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:05:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate how mexico is so bad there is a mass exodus from their country to here
but, once they get here they yell "mexico" all the time like it is a great country

they can't\won't fight\vote to make their country better, so they come here and make ours worse..........

I hate how Jorge Bush won't do a fucking thing about it 'cause he's too busy blowing that racist POS vincente fox
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#17]
My GOD!  Why do I have to follow the laws and they don't!  If I stopped paying taxes I'd be hauled away.  

Forget the constitution, I just want the same rights and privileges of an ILLEGAL ALIEN!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My GOD!  Why do I have to follow the laws and they don't!  If I stopped paying taxes I'd be hauled away.  

Forget the constitution, I just want the same rights and privileges of an ILLEGAL ALIEN!

Thats what I have been saying, who came up with this b$ plan?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Day laborers erect 'Levyville'
BY BART JONES
STAFF WRITER
August 12, 2005
www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lifarm0812,0,6241042.story?coll=ny-top-headlines
About 20 Mexican immigrants set up a "tent city" Thursday next to a Farmingville house shuttered by Brookhaven Town officials because it was overcrowded, and an activist gave them supplies for a sign calling their community "Levyville," in reference to Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy.

The tenants of 196 Berkshire Dr., most of them day laborers but including four youngsters ages 10 to 17, said they spent Wednesday night sleeping in four tents on the property or on a concrete slab next to the house.

A Latino activist, the Rev. Allan Ramirez, gave the immigrants sheets and spray paint for the "Levyville" sign. "It is the county that is responsible when there is homelessness in the community," he said.

The house was ordered shut by a court order sought by Brookhaven Town officials. According to court papers, town inspectors determined the house was home to 14 to 42 tenants on different days, and had various violations including blocked doors, exposed electrical wires and no smoke detectors. The town has moved to close seven houses containing as many as 240 tenants since late June.

A county official said Suffolk played no role in the shuttering of the house, the latest in a crackdown on illegally overcrowded housing in Brookhaven Town.

"I think the criticism is misplaced on this," said Levy spokesman Ed Dumas. "It was a 100 percent Brookhaven action without coordination with the county."

Brookhaven Councilman Jim Tullo said town officials are enforcing local housing and safety codes and said the town does not offer emergency shelter for the homeless.

"It's our charge to make sure that we can enforce our housing code to protect not only the occupants of these homes but also surrounding residents and protect the integrity and quality of life of the residents," he said. He added, "It's not the town's responsibility to provide a place for them to live."

Dumas said only legal residents are entitled to more than one night in county-financed homeless shelters, and officials are looking to nonprofit organizations, churches and community groups to help. Activists say shelters for undocumented workers are nearly nonexistent in Suffolk.

The erection of the tent city set off a media frenzy Thursday, with TV crews swarming the property as the former tenants of the house told of spending a night sleeping outside. A man who would identify himself only as Ignacio said he was the father of the four youngsters.

"I feel terrible," he said in Spanish. "I'll sleep in a tree, but my children?" He said he and his wife had been separated from two of their children, ages 10 and 15, for the past three years, and that they just arrived in Farmingville two weeks ago.

Thursday's scene provoked anger among some neighbors such as Michele Braun, 36. "This is disgusting. It's a mess," she said. "I think they need to leave. They're bringing down my property value."

But Angela Borruso, 29, who gave bags of food to the tenants, said, "They're human and they're just trying to make a better life for themselves."

Burn it to the fucking ground.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#20]
If the "Activist" really cared about the "poor workers", wouldn't he have offered them his own house to stay in? Or at least his church?  

ETA - wonder if they were like the "workers" who live in our town, where there are 8 cars, trucks & vans  parked in a driveway of a house with a 2-car garage...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If the "Activist" really cared about the "poor workers", wouldn't he have offered them his own house to stay in? Or at least his church?  

ETA - wonder if they were like the "workers" who live in our town, where there are 8 cars, trucks & vans  parked in a driveway of a house with a 2-car garage...

I have heard of people like that in Houston, they never miss a mortgage payment
but, the illegals steal anything that isn't nailed down and they actually PISS on
the neighbors trees, bushes, plants and buildings.............seeking a better life

I think they are talking about not having the Police actually enforce the law against them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top