Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 10:28:16 PM EDT
I know it's too early for the holidays, but I am looking for a nice sized ham to feed 4-5 people. It has to be tasty. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Honeybaked isn't as good as they used to be IMHO... Someone said they changes something because of cost.
Heavenly Hams are pretty darn good.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I had a honeybaked last year, and it wasn't as good as I remember.  Too bad, those things were the bomb at one time.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Best ham will be done at home.  All the store-bought shit is...well...store-bought shit.

Here's a basic recipe that I use (taken from foodtv.com):

1 city style (brined) ham, hock end*
1/4 cup brown mustard
2 cups dark brown sugar
1-ounce bourbon (poured into a spritz bottle)
2 cups crushed ginger snap cookies

Heat oven to 250 degrees F.

Remove ham from bag, rinse and drain thoroughly. Place ham, cut side down, in a roasting pan. Using a small paring knife or clean utility knife set to the smallest blade setting, score the ham from bottom to top, spiraling clockwise as you cut. (If you're using a paring knife, be careful to only cut through the skin and first few layers of fat). Rotate the ham after each cut so that the scores are no more than 2-inches across. Once you've made it all the way around, move the knife to the other hand and repeat, spiraling counter clockwise. The aim is to create a diamond pattern all over the ham. (Don't worry too much about precision here.)

Tent the ham with heavy duty foil, insert a thermometer, and cook for 3 to 4 hours or until the internal temperature at the deepest part of the meat registers 130 degrees F.

Remove and use tongs to pull away the diamonds of skin and any sheets of fat that come off with them.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Dab dry with paper towels, then brush on a liberal coat of mustard, using either a basting brush or a clean paint brush (clean as in never-touched paint). Sprinkle on brown sugar, packing loosely as you go until the ham is coated. Spritz this layer lightly with bourbon, then loosely pack on as much of the crushed cookies as you can.

Insert the thermometer (don't use the old hole) and return to the oven (uncovered). Cook until interior temperature reaches 140 degrees F, approximately 1 hour.

Let the roast rest for 1/2 hour before carving.

*Cook's note: A city ham is basically any brined ham that's packed in a plastic bag, held in a refrigerated case and marked "ready to cook", "partially cooked" or "ready to serve". Better city hams are also labeled "ham in natural juices".

Bad-ass ham, I tell ya, and far better than crap you can buy at a store.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a smoked ham, don't eat that sugary crap.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Locally I watched them glaze a ham with a sugar/cinnamon powder mix and then put the torch to it while it was on a rotating platform.  Went pretty quick and putting a torch to food is pretty much an "in" thing, like with creme brulee

Here's a version of this.

www.virtualweberbullet.com/ham2.html
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to Tom Thumb and see if they have the ham's wrapped in a red aluminum foil.

Good honey ham right there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top