Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 5:54:23 PM EDT
another video i got in an email today at work, this is a video of slag getting in the mold on the caster and exploding

Here is a clear picture of what you are looking at, the video is not very good but if you look at the pic you can make it out
www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Slag-in-Mold-Short

Here is a different video from the mill i work at i posted in another thread
www.putfile.com/media.php?n=HIckman-Aline-nozzle-blowout-August-2005
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
What exactly is happening?
Why does slag (impurities?) cause the molten steel to explode?
Moisture?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Does shit blow up often?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#3]
It's Bush's fault.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What exactly is happening?
Why does slag (impurities?) cause the molten steel to explode?
Moisture?

The tundish (thing that the bright orange nozzle hangs from) was drained of steel and for unknown reasons the dumbasses running the caster didnt shut it down so the mold filled with the slag that was floating on top of the steel in the tundish. Slag doesnt form a slab so it stayed liquid and when the slab exited the mold the liquid slag allowed spray water to get into the mold rusulting in an expolsion.

Water expands at somthing like 700 times so 1 gallon of water instantly becomes 700 gallons of steam
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Does shit blow up often?

Not because of slag situation above that is rare and is only caused by people having a dumbass attack, but yes shit blows up occasionally

Quoted:
It's Bush's fault.  

I Knew it, That BASTARD!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#6]
a few boom booms

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool pics, but I'll pass on working there.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The guy who didn't have his faceshield down................How bad did he get messed up?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The guy who didn't have his faceshield down................How bad did he get messed up?

amazingly, no one got hurt
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
a few boom booms

img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/superdavarfcom/DSC04306.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/superdavarfcom/BELCHING20FURNACE20520DSC01174.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/superdavarfcom/CLOSEUP20BELCHING20FURNACE20220DSC0.jpg

HOLY CRAP !!!    That's some check yer shorts material !

HAHAHAHAHA !!!      

That one gets me every fuckin time !  
One of the funniest damn pics I've ever seen...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top