Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 3:48:06 PM EDT

I just finished Max Brooks book "The Zombie Survival Guide" and he rates the AR15/M16 as a terrible weapon for zombie defense.  Hooey I say!  I mean seriously, how dangerous is it for such bad advice to be given to people in such an important topic?  Do we need protests?  Letters sent to the publisher?  

AR15's are in my opinion the perfect zombie weapon:
- 5.56 size allows for a large magazine capacity and ability to carry plenty of rounds
- highly accurate and well desinged for landing those critical head shots
- 5.56 is more than enough power to down a zombie
- M4 varient is light, easy to carry and very easy to use
- Versitle in that it can readily mount many useful aftermarket tools. (Lights, lasers, etc.)

I dare say the AR15 community needs to respond to this lest uninformed people face Zombie attack with an inferior product.  

Aside from his gross mistakes about firearms selections, the book is a decent read.  I know that I'm not budgeting for my nearly zombie proof titanium shark suit.  I'd have never thought of that one on my own.

As a side note, you would not believe how angry my wife got when I mentioned putting in the anti-zombie ditch/moat around our property.  Women!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
You are missing the bigger picture.  Save your money for weapons and ammo, buy used riot gear and you will be padded up and squared away.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Which weapon did he recommend?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#3]
what was his argument against the AR-15?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have that book. He says that the AR/m16 is too fragile and unreliable. He recomends the AK series and also the m1 carbine. I actually agree that the m1 carbine would be ok. (AS seen in the recent Land of the Dead movie) but what kind of idiot would think that the modern AR is not the ideal zombie rifle? Especially with an Aimpoint. The rest of the book is ok.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
the guy says the m-16a1's jam so much it will be like having a bolt action. He is a dumb ass. I never had a jam 54,000 rounds and counting.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have that book. He says that the AR/m16 is too fragile and unreliable. He recomends the AK series and also the m1 carbine. I actually agree that the m1 carbine would be ok. (AS seen in the recent Land of the Dead movie) but what kind of idiot would think that the modern AR is not the ideal zombie rifle? Especially with an Aimpoint. The rest of the book is ok.

He's nuts. Zombies chortle at AK's and guffaw at the vaunted M1 carbine.

Anyone facing zombies with anything less than a .416 Rigby is a fool.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top