Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 3:24:39 PM EDT
How many men( I'm assuming it's a strictly male phenomena) are allowed to do this or does it drive your wife or girlfriend nuts. Without even thinking brought my mail to the dinner table and was reading it looked up and my wife had that classic pissed off wife look, mainly because she banned reading during meals eons ago.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#1]
well, i am a college student, so i do about anything when i eat.  when we eat together, the G/F doesnt seem to care, unless it is a special occasion.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I only do it when I am alone, never when eating with the g/f.

Oh .... OK

You did say with , my mistake
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#5]
It's very rude if you're eating with someone.  It basically sends the message "Well I can't expect anything interesting or worthwhile from you, so I'm going to read this book/letter/magazine/whatever."

Maybe not if it's breakfast and you can share the paper.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How many men( I'm assuming it's a strictly male phenomena) are allowed to do this or does it drive your wife or girlfriend nuts. Without even thinking brought my mail to the dinner table and was reading it looked up and my wife had that classic pissed off wife look, mainly because she banned reading during meals eons ago.

I don't understand the "not allowed" part?
Or, really, the "wife banned it" part.

Yes, I read during meals.  So does Gloria, and if the kids ever neaten the way they eat they can too.

Larry
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I went to a dinner with a friend and he grabs a paper and starts reading...  I was like, WTF.  

I dont ask him to eat with me anymore.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[ Oh .... OK

You did say with , my mistake

Nearly two minutes, did you have a heavy meal for dinner or something....

Naaaa

The damn phone rang
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#10]
always do it.  ever gave it much thought.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#11]
drives my mom nuts.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I've done it my whole life. It really hurts my wife's feelings, so I finally quit doing it when eating with her.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're alone, who cares?

If, however, there is someone of any import around, ESPECIALLY at the same table (and even MORE especially if they're not in on the topic), then it's rude.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If, however, there is someone of any import around, ESPECIALLY at the same table (and even MORE especially if they're not in on the topic), then it's rude.

My sons and I read and eat together, and we're all happy as pigs in shit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

So when you first met her and were trying your damndest to get into her britches did you also read stuff while dining...?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, so maybe what's missing to make it rude is some estrogen influence.

Hell, I bet a man and his sons could FART at a dinner table and none of them would even notice.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Depends on who's at the table, and what's around to read.

If it's a hottie, she has my undivided attention.

If it's Hillary Clinton, I'm breaking out Mein Kampf.

ETA before the 88's pop out: I'd read that, because I know it'd piss her off...only reason. The Tibetian Book of the Dead would be a reasonable substitute.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, so maybe what's missing to make it rude is some estrogen influence.

Hell, I bet a man and his sons could FART at a dinner table and none of them would even notice.

It would be rude NOT to notice. If you don't notice, you can't say things like "Son, that was a bit flat. Are you having trouble with your embrasure?"
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It's very rude if you're eating with someone.  It basically sends the message "Well I can't expect anything interesting or worthwhile from you, so I'm going to read this book/letter/magazine/whatever."

What if that is, in fact, the case.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe not if it's breakfast and you can share the paper.

Roger that.

I always read when I'm eating chow by myself - never when someone else is present.

If you can't show her some courtesy and respect while EATING the meal, maybe she ought not worry about PREPARING it for you!

Breakfast in bed, sharing the paper, is another story, however...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Funny you should mention this.  I normally don't, but we had pizza delivered tonight so Mrs. BlammO could have a break.  I brought my new issue of Guns & Ammo to the table to finish reading the last 2 paragraphs of a column.  Mrs. BlammO seized the opportunity to play up the ol' I'm-talking-but-you're-not-listening thing.  BlammO Jr. thought it'd be fun to whisper my lines to me while I read, which I simply repeated in a monotone voice.  This promptly turned into a game which eventually had all of us laughing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
mainly because she banned reading during meals eons ago.

When is she releasing your balls?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Honestly I never thought of it as rude, my father did it and I'm sure his father did it. Not that it makes it right  though.Besides I've heard everything my wife had worthwhile to say about 10 years ago
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Sgtar15,
My balls are still mine(at least she lets me think that) since we met I've done numerous things over her objections, buy a motorcycle, join the military, get new tattoo's you name it. I have this amazing psychological defense system where she voices some type of objection and my brain somehow turns it into an approval, the only problem is when she says I told you so, all the objections somehow come rushing back to into concious thought.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Sometimes I'll read a magazine if I'm eating lunch by myself. It's weird, though, when I'm reading the same magazine later while busting a loaf - it's like deja poo.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Just busting your her balls TomF32

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Shallow is the first word that comes to mind.  If you spend quality time with your s/o, it shouldn't be an issue.  I hate it when she reads out loud though........

We both read, watch DVD, look into space, etc.  Sometimes we talk, but you really should do a happy hour beverage/debrief of work issues as soon as you get home, then you will be able to read in peace.

.......I am new at this, we have only be together about 17 years.  she shoots too-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top