Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 1:58:47 PM EDT
Anybody remember when Gorby reportedly got sick in 1991 and stepped down from his position as Premier? Then, only a day or two later, he defiantly said he was going nowhere and a coup was attempting to put him down?

That was the start of the meltdown of the Soviet Union.

What are your recollections?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#1]
All I remember is Pepsi in the USSR...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Your other post was better.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your other post was better.

Was it??   I thought I had the wrong year/space/time continium??  

Yeltsin on the tank.

Russian soldiers with a "WTF are we supposed to do now?" look on their pasty Commie Bastard faces.  

A shootout in front of the Russian Parliment or some govt-thug building.

ETA:  Watching all this go down live on ABC news very early in the morning.  

Almost as good as the Anita Hill-Clarence Thomas Live Sex Show before Congress.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I can remember realizing that my career as an engineer for a major defense electronics corporation was in jeopardy when the USSR imploded. Sure enough, two years later Clinton got elected and my job was toast. Been in telecom ever since (out of the pan and into the fire!).
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought he went on vacation, and while there, the hardliners basically put him under house arrest and assumed control of the government.

I remember Yeltsin giving speeches in a bulletproof vest and the red army shelling the White House (government offices)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top