Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 12:43:14 PM EDT
It was dusk, so kind of hard to see (no pics).

Twin prop, radar dome on top, looks like it has 3 or 4 vertical stabilizers. WTF?

Was buzzing the MIL's home last night. Made at least 6 passes at low altitude.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#1]
E2 Hawkeye
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Or more correctly, an E-2C.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#4]
E-2C Hawkeye, cool, thanks.

She gets C-130s and F-18s playing touch-and-go all the time, but I never saw that abomination before.

Freakin’ F-18s will ruin your dinner conversation.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the Navy has a loudness requirement for aircraft.  If it's not loud enough, it doesn't get accepted.

We used to have the aircraft from the carriers do touch and gos at the airfield at Ft. Lewis.  I, of course, lived across the street and got to listen to EA6s and the like all the time.

It was weird the Navy stuff would be louder than a C141 doing the same thing...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think the Navy has a loudness requirement for aircraft.  If it's not loud enough, it doesn't get accepted.

We used to have the aircraft from the carriers do touch and gos at the airfield at Ft. Lewis.  I, of course, lived across the street and got to listen to EA6s and the like all the time.

You've aparently not spent enough time around B-1s.  Those crates are loud.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

She gets C-130s and F-18s playing touch-and-go all the time, but I never saw that abomination before.

What base are you in the pattern for?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Ain't it the truth?

I'm sure the people around Miramar were *thrilled* when the Navy moved out, taking those noisy F-14's with them... only to be replaced by F/A-18's.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

B-1B's are the loudest aircraft I ever heard!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#10]
F/A-18's on the flightline starting up sounds like 2 18 wheelers going full bore down 77 in W. Va.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2, nothing rattles your teeth like the Bone.....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Seen a B1-B on the break mid field, added power and climbed out of it....swear I saw my wings dip because of it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the Navy has a loudness requirement for aircraft.  If it's not loud enough, it doesn't get B-1B's are the loudest aircraft I ever heard!!!

+2, nothing rattles your teeth like the Bone.....

A-6's on the CAT at full power makes your teeth fall out.  Then there is the Harrier, most god offal thing I ever heard.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She's on the Moffett Field pattern.

She also gets a bunch of helicopters from the 129th Rescue Group. I don't know what they are, but they are big and loud as hell.

Could be HH-60s.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#15]
There was a RAF (I think) Nimrod at the local airshow a few years back.  It made the Harrier seem quiet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Never been around B1s, but I know the B52 had nothing on the EA6.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had landed in St. Louis on a Monday morning.  Apparently, they had an air show over the weekend.  2 B-1Bs took off over the long term parking.  It was hilarious, all the alarms in the cars going off due to the noise and vibration.

It was an overcast morning and they both took off with full afterburners.  The conical flame from the engines was almost perfect and really stood out against the overcast.  It was beautiful.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:28:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Most of my hearing loss is  from Naval Aircraft
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She's on the Moffett Field pattern.

She also gets a bunch of helicopters from the 129th Rescue Group. I don't know what they are, but they are big and loud as hell.

Could be HH-60s.

So am I.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
There was a RAF (I think) Nimrod at the local airshow a few years back.  It made the Harrier seem quiet.

On top of the USN's lound requirment the RAF insists on theirs being ugly too.  The Nimrod the VC-10.  Ugly birds the both of them.  Then they take a perfectly normal C-130 and give the damn thing a horn.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There aint nothing in the world like a pair or trio of B1B's doing a flyby at 1000ft. on full power while you're having baseball practice and they fly right over the top of you on the way to the bombing range.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#23]
NOTHING is louder on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier than the EA-6B.

One reason is that it's a straight turbojet engine, the other is that the tail pipe (exhaust) points down at the deck.

That's the reason why an EA-6B (and when the Navy still flew A-6E's) are so loud when they are on the ground or flying overhead.

When the F-117 or the B2 fly overhead the are pretty quiet.
As soon as they turn and you can see the top of ther aircraft the sound increases.

However, my vote for the most efficent fuel to noise converter is the AV-8, hands down.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Most of my hearing loss is  from Naval Aircraft

What? (hand behind ear)

I do have to say the loudest thing I've ever heard was a blackbird taking off one night. Not to mention the white afterburner flame that was twice as long as the plane.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I lived North of Robins AFB (when they had B-1's), every now and again they would come over my house on the deck at night.   Let me tell ya, holy shit are they loud!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top