Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/11/2005 12:20:25 PM EDT
I was born and raised in South Texas, but now reside in Arizona.  How about you guys and gals, how many of you guys grew up and spent the majority of your life somewhere, and now live elsewhere??  How different are the two places?  Likes? Dislikes?

for me, I am and always will be a proud Texan, but i MUST admit, i LOVE Arizona, the gun laws are great, the landscape (where i'm at at least) is amazing....no complaints here!

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was born and raised in South Texas, but now reside in Arizona.  How about you guys and gals, how many of you guys grew up and spent the majority of your life somewhere, and now live elsewhere??  How different are the two places?  Likes? Dislikes?

for me, I am and always will be a proud Texan, but i MUST admit, i LOVE Arizona, the gun laws are great, the landscape (where i'm at at least) is amazing....no complaints here!

I was raised in Virginia Beach, now live in Ohio.
It's too frickin' cold here.

Larry
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I was born in New Jersey, lived there till I was 18. I got out of there as fast as I could. I live in Texas now and love it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Born in Hong Kong
moved to NYC at the age of 1 and lived there for 24 years.
got the hell out in 93 and now in Minnesota
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I was born and raised in Canada and now I live in Colorado.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Born and raised in NYC.

Since then, I've lived in Newport RI, Annapolis MD, Newport RI (again), Jacksonville FL (two different places), Virginia Beach VA, Miami FL (two different places), Syracuse NY (if only in a hotel), Fall River MA (again, if only in a hotel), Raleigh NC (one more time, if only in a hotel), and now Laredo TX.

I hope to move to Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, or Utah in the future, and to STAY THERE!

I'm sick of this moving shit....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#7]
My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15 year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims, like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy - the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring, we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#8]

I'm finding myself more and more in the minority.

My kids were born in the same hospital that my wife and I were each born in.  All of our parents and brothers and sisters live within about 20 minutes of us.  Even my (late) grandparents' houses are within about 15 minutes from us.

I guess I'm the anti-transplant.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not.

Born, raised and still live in AZ.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Born and raised in NYC.

Since then, I've lived in Newport RI, Annapolis MD, Newport RI (again), Jacksonville FL (two different places), Virginia Beach VA, Miami FL (two different places), Syracuse NY (if only in a hotel), Fall River MA (again, if only in a hotel), Raleigh NC (one more time, if only in a hotel), and now Laredo TX.

I hope to move to Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, or Utah in the future, and to STAY THERE!

I'm sick of this moving shit....

hell...i LOVE Arizona!  and ive got my own Minuite Man position.....i.e. my hottub that over looks the valley near Naco and a large wash that runs through my property that is said to be great for hunting deer and also a heavily traveled path for illegals, but none the less...i love it out here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Born and raised in TX..

now back in Ohio.

I am moving back to Texas after college
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Born and raised in England (the England that was, not the one that exists now -- I used to go shooting at 7 years old...).

Spent 10 years in France.

Now 12 years in Oregon -- probably going to stay there unless the CA influence grows too strong.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Born in L.A. Grew up kinda all over the place in Asia. Undergrad in Hell (known as Berkeley). Now back in L.A. for my masters' degree.

Asia's very different from here.

Asia:
-Food's unbelievable.

-Chicks dig Americans, especially the American-born Chinese (like me) - all the attitudes of the white guys, without the problems when it's time to meet her parents. They get freaky without all the baggage that American women have, too.

US:
-Owning a car's not as expensive. I can go where I want, when I want, instead of waiting for the bus like a chump.

-Happiness is a warm gun. There were way too many situations back home where the only way out invovled a knife and spilling blood (hopefully not mine, but sometimes that was unavoidable).
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#14]
BORN AND RAISED IN THE SAME CITY,COUNTY,STATE
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Multiple times transplanted; I was an Army brat.

Born in Germany.  In my 29 years I've lived in Georgia, Kansas, Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, and Florida.

My favorite so far is Florida.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15 year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims, like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy - the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring, we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really.

I want what your on
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Nice, Dr. Evil.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Born in MO, Live in AZ.  Not really a transplant.  Always an American.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice, Dr. Evil.

so that's where I heard it
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Born and raised in MA.  Now I hang my hat in NC.  What a difference 900 miles makes!!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Yo!

Born and raised in LaLa Land.  Miz LWilde from there too.  Spent a few tours there and moved there after retiring from the service.

Moved to the Commonwealth in 1996 and never looked back.

Happy as two peas in a pod here.

Free fishing and hunting (land)

Sweet gun laws

Low taxes

Friendly, respectful citizens

Good schools
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I was born and raised in lovely Santa Barbara, CA.  

Now I live in wonderful Bend, OR.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I travel around. San Francisco, Dublin, Brussels, Dublin, San Francisco, San Jose.

Not counting sub-one-year stints in places like New York, Raleigh, Iraq.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was raised in Virginia Beach, now live in Ohio.
It's too frickin' cold here.

Larry

Wierd, I grew up in Ohio, went to college at OSU and moved to Virginia.  (not beach, though).

G
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#25]

...got here as fast as I could!

HH
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#26]
<----
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Wierd, I grew up in Ohio, went to college at OSU and moved to Virginia.  (not beach, though).

G

I'd love to move south, but the wife is from northern Michigan (Jo'burg) and thinks Ohio is too hot; the South would likely kill her.

Larry
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Born in Hong Kong

twonami, is your family from the US?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Born in Hong Kong

Nope, parents were born in mainland China before the revolution and came to Hong Kong after it went communist. My mom's family lost everything to the japs and then the communists. She remembers seeing severed heads floating down the river from the Japanese executions of those that resisted. Hell of a thing for a kid to see. She still gets nightmares but not that often.
All my brothers and sister were also born in Hong Kong. My oldest brother and sister remember it but my other brother and I don't remember a thing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Born in Hong Kong

Nope, parents were born in mainland China before the revolution and came to Hong Kong after it went communist. My mom's family lost everything to the japs and then the communists. She remembers seeing severed heads floating down the river from the Japanese executions of those that resisted. Hell of a thing for a kid to see. She still gets nightmares but not that often.
All my brothers and sister were also born in Hong Kong. My oldest brother and sister remember it but my other brother and I don't remember a thing.

I was just wondering.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#31]
From Michigan, living in Arizona
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#32]
From Michigan--now in AZ. also
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Born In: Massachusetts
Grew Up: Maine

Lived In: New Hampshire, Illinois(boot camp), California, Montana, Florida

I hate Mass. and California and Florida. Would love to get back to Montana - Maine - or New Hampshire.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I was born in Bossier City, LA, lived there for 4 years, moved to Bellevue, WA (4 years).  Then moved to Columbia Heights, MN (4 years).  Moved to Everett, WA (4 years).  Moved back to Columbia Heights, MN (4 years) and now reside in Methuen, MA (since 2003).

I would have to say the place I liked living the most would have to have been MN.  The people were so friendly and the weather was prettiy good except during the winter when it snowed like the dickens, though now I really miss that.  I thought the gun laws were pretty good (I just owned a .22 rifle at the time, no experince with their pistol purchasing laws).

The two places I spent most of my life would be MN and WA state.  WA seemed to always be dark, dreary, and raining, a plus would for WA would to have been the people, very friendly (didn't get down to Seattle much, I'm sure my impression of them would be different).  MN seemed to be sunny most of the time (at least during the summer).
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#35]
i was born in NE ohio, and now i go to school about 60 miles away still in NE ohio.       now, 200 years ago that'd be real far.  

just trying to keep things in perspective.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Transplanted Nebraskan.

Spent the first 29½ yrs there and the past 16 in Colo.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
i was born in NE ohio, and now i go to school about 60 miles away still in NE ohio.       now, 200 years ago that'd be real far.  

just trying to keep things in perspective.

I, too, grew up in NE Ohio.  Went to OSU and lived in Columbus for 7 years.  Now, I live in Maryland and work in DC.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Born in Ohio, thank God, my parents took me and escaped to Colorado when I was 6.
It was great growing up at 10,000 feet and I wouldn't ever move.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#41]
I was born in Bellevue, WA (Seattle suburb) and moved when I was 13.

HOLY SHIT... I never realized how shitty the west coast was until I escaped.  I moved to NE Ohio, somewhat rural, we sold a shittyass shack and bought a mansion for the same price.  I've always said, I think the Seattle area must be where every drug manufactuer tests their new anti-depresants.  That place is a damned shithole.  My dad (another former Washington lover) went back this week to visit my half-sisters and he said it was more disgusting than ever.  He said the traffic was far worse than when we left, and I've never seen traffic like that again in my entire life... even when I visitted NYC.

I always thought my friends family was an anomaly when they moved away and said they all felt better, were sick less often, less headaches... etc.  If it weren't for my mom's job moving us to Ohio, I'd be one miserable SOB... I sure was then.  The movies can be blown off in every aspect except when they portray Seattle as a rainy shithole... the average rainfall isn't that high, mainly because it just drizzles all day long to the point when you'd drive to the nearest bridge to jump off, but you know there's too much traffic to step out of the house.

Now, within the past two months, we've moved from beautiful NE Ohio to an icky Detroit suburb (straight out of American Beauty).  As much as I bitch and moan, I know damn well it's NOWHERE near as bad as Seattle.  Not as much rain, not as much traffic, not as much scumbags, not as expensive, it's just nowhere near as depressing as western Washington.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#42]
born in texas, but never lived there.  grew up in california, went to high school and college there.  california sucks big balls and i hate it there, although most of  my roots are there.  i live in maine now, great gun clubs and people, but i am always proud to be a texan!!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

can i adopt you?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Born and raised in Long Island, NY.  Moved to Florida at 19 for five years, then moved back to Long Island.

Next move, hopefully within a few months, will be to COLORADO!!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
From Michigan, living in Arizona

howdy neighbor!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#46]
I was born in New Jersy too, but it only took 6 mos for me to realize it was a shithole.  

Actually, my dad was in the Army...they got us out of NJ.  

I've lived all over the place, but Arlington VA is what I call home.  Well, for another 9 mos or so, and then it's most likely Hasta la Vista, baby.  North Cackalacky bound, if all goes well.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:22:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Conceived in New Mexico but unfortunately born in IOWA where I spent a VERY lamentable 12 years.....then ( thank GOD ) my parents brought me home to Arizona where I am nowhere even CLOSE to being the wierdest person on the block.

I love this place!!!  LOVE IT, I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:24:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Born in Philly...EAGLES!!!!!
Moved to RI when I turned 7, live in MA.

Too cold for my blood.
I'd move to San Antonio in a frikkin heartbeat if given a chance (spent 7 1/2 months there in '85).
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Born in PA, lived there till I was 10, moved to Wyoming, lived there 6 years, moved to Oregon, lived there till I graduated HS. Joined the Marines, spent 2 years ( give or take )in SC then went over to California, went to the Gulf came home , got out, moved to TN and this is where I've been ever since. TN is a really nice state. I doubt I'll move from here.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:26:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Born, Rasied & Lived my whole life in The gunshine state.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top