Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/11/2005 9:56:45 AM EDT

By ALICIA A. CALDWELL

EL PASO, Texas (AP) - Texas has become the fourth state to have a non-white majority population, the U.S. Census Bureau said Thursday, a trend driven by a surging number of Hispanics moving to the state.

According to the population estimates based on the 2000 Census, about 50.2 percent of Texans are now minorities. In the 2000 Census, minorities made up about 47 percent of the population in the second-largest state.

Texas joins California, New Mexico and Hawaii as states with majority-minority populations - with Hispanics the largest group in every state but Hawaii, where it is Asian-Americans.

Five other states - Maryland, Mississippi, Georgia, New York and Arizona - aren't far behind, with about 40 percent minorities.

Public policy analysts said these states and the country as a whole need to bring minority education and professional achievement to the levels of whites. Otherwise, these areas risk becoming poorer and less competitive.

William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C., said lawmakers need to start with immigration reform, while striving to bring minorities' education and salary levels in line with Anglos.

"Immigration is good for the United States ... it's important for us to keep our doors open, but we need to keep an eye on the people coming in," Frey said. "While initially it will be a state problem, eventually it will be a national issue, and education is the best way to deal with it."

Complications from the cultural shift aren't likely to be exclusive to states that already have majority-minority populations, Frey said.

Nevada, for instance, has seen a massive influx of minorities in the last 15 years, reducing the percentage of Anglos since the 1990s from nearly 80 percent to about 60 percent. Such a rapid shift is likely to cause growing pains that include trying to balance the needs of a bigger and younger minority community with an aging Anglo community, Frey said.

"That's the kind of state that is going to have to deal with quick transition," Frey said.

Though some areas may never see this shift, the country as a whole is expected to continue the trend first noticed more than a decade ago.

The nation should be more than half minorities by 2050, said Steve Murdock, a demographer at the University of Texas at San Antonio.

"If you look in the 1990s, in every one of the 50 states, non-Anglo Hispanic populations grew faster than Anglo populations," Murdock said. "It's a very pervasive pattern."

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#1]
We knew one day this would happen

I guess I'm a racist for saying that
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Won't be long till all the rest join them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#3]
No surpise here....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it's kind of funny
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#5]
w00t!

That's fucking great! I can't wait until Arizona gets there. It seems real close already.

At what point then, do current people classified as minorites stop being refered to as such and that lable then given to Whitey?

When whitey is finally gone, it's going to be a much better place to be.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#6]

about 50.2 percent of Texans are now minorities

Are you familar with the robot expression "does not compute"?

PS: I understand what they're saying, it's just a poor choice of wording.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Am I the only one that finds Majority-Minority an oxymoron?

Either it's one way or the other!

I'm now a minority, the mexicans are the majority.  Simple as that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No your ethnocentric.

You don't hate people because of their skin color, but because of their culture.

It is all good, as your 'judging' them by their character.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#9]
So will the new minorities be elligable for afirmitive action benifits?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#10]
The only reason you'd care is if you are racist.

The other reason to care is because of specialized government subsidies going to "minorities" that are no longer minorities.

Other wise its only an interesting statistic.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The other reason to care is because of specialized government subsidies going to "minorities" that are no longer minorities.

WTF?

More absurd throwing around of the racist label again.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Well that didn't take long
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#13]
That's based on 2000 numbers right?  Bet there are more than 4 states now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Exactly
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No. You're just a racist if you weren't born brown.

It'll be REAL interesting to see the racist cheers from the La Raza shitbags.

Obvious racists would cheer this news as it would underscore their racial-superiority ideas and their aim of having "bronze-power" overtake "white society" - just as much as the KKK and Aryan Nation would cheer anything that promotes "white-power" over minorities.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#16]
It's not much of a surprise.  I don't need to read about it, all I have to do is look out of a window.  I doubt many here in Texas will give a damn anyway.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

Come on, if you're expressing CONCERN about the demographics of a state being more BROWN than WHITE what else do you call it?

More absurd use of the troll icon again..

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#18]
So, how many hispanics are members of the minute man project?

Hmmmmmmm?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Welcome to the fold!

Embrace diversity!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#20]
shit, you guys act like this is new news......

look at the last census of the Corpus Christi area
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Hmmmmmmm?

Who cares?  The minute man project isn't supposed to be about RACE, its about securing an unsecure border during war time.

There's a lot of people crossing those borders that aren't brown.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I Hope their pro-gun
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm sure that the statistical demographics in 1870's AZ, New Mexico and Texas were majority of 'minority' - the only reason you guys can't bitch about those days is because only white males were counted, and therefore there's no data.

Ah, the good old days, right racists?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmmmmmm?

Who cares?  The minute man project isn't supposed to be about RACE, its about securing an unsecure border during war time.

Yeah, but again. How many are hispanic? How many hispanics want a secure border? Afterall if they are the majority then they have the power to get things done. So what are they going to do to secure our borders?

Nothing, as a matter of fact they want it wide the fuck open.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I Hope their pro-gun

Gotta be progun for all the drive bys and car jackings and crime. Check the prison population statistics, no predjudice just #s.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#26]
I just noticed that the map is made up of progressively darker shades of brown

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Keep voting.

That'll learn 'em.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm sure that the statistical demographics in 1870's AZ, New Mexico and Texas were majority of 'minority' - the only reason you guys can't bitch about those days is because only white males were counted, and therefore there's no data.

Nice to see you starting shit.

I have no problem with becoming a Minority if it was through legal means.  I'm sick and tired of an open border on the south.  I have watched my town turned into a shit hole because of ILLEGAL immigration.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmmmmmm?

Yeah, but again. How many are hispanic? How many hispanics want a secure border? Afterall if they are the majority then they have the power to get things done. So what are they going to do to secure our borders?

And the majority of women voters are democrats, shall we take away their voice?

Its so easy to just label people and then demonize them, isn't it?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no problem with becoming a Minority if it was through legal means.  I'm sick and tired of an open border on the south.  I have watched my town turned into a shit hole because of ILLEGAL immigration.

Hey dude, do you see me promoting illegal immigration here?   No.

Try some reading comprehension - all I'm arguing with is people whom bemoan a racial demographic shift as a bad thing.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Not really breaking news to us. Just go out in public.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmmmmmm?

This thread is going downhill pretty fast.  Nice to see some broad generalizations.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

Come on, if you're expressing CONCERN about the demographics of a state being more BROWN than WHITE what else do you call it?

More absurd use of the troll icon again..

Interesting...Mexicans are constantly cheering about the fact that they are becoming the majority in the U.S. and that's considered the right thing to think, whites that don't necessarily feel the same way about it are racists.

What a fucking
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Does it really matter?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try some reading comprehension - all I'm arguing with is people whom bemoan a racial demographic shift as a bad thing.  

No you are starting shit arguing with people who KNOW the cause: Illegal Immigration and bitch about it.

We all know why there is a demographic shift:  Immigration.  We all bemoan this shift because of this bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No racists here, just us scientists.

Care to go down that rabbit hole?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Common sense takes the backroad for some I see.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No racists here, just us scientists.

Care to go down that rabbit hole?

WTF?

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Common sense apparently is defined as "agreeing with MrClean4Hire".
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#40]
An old chinese proverb...paraphrasing here.."may you live in interesting times".

It will be interesting to see what the next few decades hold for the good ol US-of-A.   Especially in the minority-majority states.  Will it bring us prosperity or a slow and steady decline?  Regardless, a significant event is the racial & cultural change taking place right now.  We'll have to wait and see.  According to some, initial results don't look promising.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Many on here do, you are one of the few oddballs on here. You have the inability to see the big picture or years down the road or you could just be one of our liberal trolls. Either way you're not helping America stay strong.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
An old chinese proverb...paraphrasing here.."may you live in interesting times".

It will be interesting to see what the next few decades holds for the good ol US-of-A.   Especially in the minority-majority states.  Will it bring us prosperity or a slow and steady decline?  Regardless, a significant event is the racial & cultural change taking place right now.  We'll have to wait and see.  According to some, initial results don't look promising.

I'm sure there were a lot of Mexicans and Indians saying those same things circa 1840-1900.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I just noticed that the map is made up of progressively darker shades of brown

Map maker is a racist!!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Many on here do, you are one of the few oddballs on here. You have the inability to see the big picture or years down the road or you could just be one of our liberal trolls. Either way you're not helping America stay strong.

I don't believe that concerning ourselves over racial demographics has any bearing on "America staying strong".    I'm most definitely not liberal, and I'm also most definitely not Republican.

The current illegal immigration issue IS problem I want resolved, but I am not going to stoop to racism over it.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't believe that concerning ourselves over racial demographics has any bearing on "America staying strong".    I'm most definitely not liberal, and I'm also most definitely not Republican.

Because those other demographics have done such an excellent job of it where they are predominant.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It will be interesting to see what the next few decades holds for the good ol US-of-A.   Especially in the minority-majority states.  Will it bring us prosperity or a slow and steady decline?  Regardless, a significant event is the racial & cultural change taking place right now.  We'll have to wait and see.  According to some, initial results don't look promising.

I'm sure there were a lot of Mexicans and Indians saying those same things circa 1840-1900.

Well, you know the Aztec's weren't the kindest folks on planet earth.  They did tend to actively slaughter their own and others in brutal and inhumane pagan sacrifices.  They also were not very popular with the surrounding indian tribes, who actively fought along side Cortes against the Aztec Empire.  Food for thought.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well truth is America became what it is based on a belief in God and White men taking care of business. If you think that hispanics can do a better job with it ,then you are mistaken. Look what we have done as a country so far. Now go look at everything south of our border. Ancient people who have yet to make their shitholes into anything. If we can do it, why can't they? They had a head start on us even. All they will do is try and turn us into the same shithole they came from.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Most illegal immigrants have brown skin;

Most illegal immigrants do not contribute as much to the economy as they take;

More brown on the map means a decline in the socio-economic composition of an area;

I prefer a higher socio-economic influence in my area.

Is the above all factually acurate? Or am I just a racist?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

It was quite a bad thing for the Jews in Hitler's Germany.  I guess it depends on what the majority has in store for you.  Not everyone is a peace loving hippie.  Wouldn't you agree?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Most illegal immigrants have brown skin;

Most illegal immigrants do not contribute as much to the economy as they take;

More brown on the map means a decline in the socio-economic composition of an area;

I prefer a higher socio-economic influence in my area.

Is the above all factually acurate? Or am I just a racist?

You are racist because you don't want to live in a 3rd world shithole.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top