Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 9:06:00 AM EDT
If people(neighbors) get married in Antigua, are they legally married here?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The ceremony is held there, but they apply here for the marriage certificate just like everyone else, so yes it is valid.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The ceremony is held there, but they apply here for the marriage certificate just like everyone else, so yes it is valid.

Well the husband showed me a marriage certificate by the government of Antiqua, but he is thinking he had to also do something in the states to make it official here. He said he never asked in Antiqua because he was so neverous with all that was going on. Then someone recently put it in his head that it may not be legal here. His wife would kill him.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Needing a government document for a marriage is just wrong. It's like needing a government permit to own a firearm, it just shouldn't be.  Marriage is a Religious institution, not a government one so they should just keep their nose out of it. JMHO, YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I got married in Jamaica.  We got a license there and that's all we ever got.  Never registered our love with any agency stateside.

Does that mean that if I do her best friend I'm committing adultery or just having a good time?

Cabby

(Just kidding honey....please put the rolling pin down.)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Needing a government document for a marriage is just wrong. It's like needing a government permit to own a firearm, it just shouldn't be.  Marriage is a Religious institution, not a government one so they should just keep their nose out of it. JMHO, YMMV.

Marriage can be both, or either, religious and governmental/secular.

You can get a marriage license and take your vows/oath before a judge.  Bang, married (legally).  Your church may or may not recognize it.

I think it is less common that someone would be religiously married and not legally, aside from paperwork screwups.  I think it was probably a more common situation when there were laws against, say, inter-racial marriages.  Another example from more recent times are the offshoots of the LDS church where polygamy is allowed.  Clearly not all of those marriages (if any) are "legal" marriages, but they are religiously valid in that sect.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#6]
In my 16+ years of marriage, noone has ever asked to see my marriage certificate... birth certificates, sure for medical insurance purposes... never a marriage certificate; even when getting life insurance for my wife...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top