Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 8:57:46 AM EDT
I've been hearding and reading about lots of these but seems that they've gotten rid of OICW and XCR, yet there's no real hurry to adop the XM8, or the HK M4 mod.  What's the deal here, is the army brass happy with the current M4 useage?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:36:10 AM EDT
[#1]
There is talk of longbows and catapaults until Lake City gets their small arms ammo plant up to speed.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
There is talk of longbows and catapaults until Lake City gets their small arms ammo plant up to speed.

You forget the super secret attack pigeons.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Notice that all those are made by H&K (not sure about the XCR).....but overall I think it's just H&K's pushy marketing department, desperate for a contract and creating a solution in search for a problem.

It seems like they are desperately trying to recover from losing a substatial MP5 market to the M4. They developed and saw that the OICW was going nowhere, so they pooped out the xm8. When that took too long they quickly shat out an H&K M4 upper....expect more to come....
But that's just my guess at it.

Personally I own a USP and I think it's a great pistol, but I really dislike H&K's marketing & politics.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Notice that all those are made by H&K (not sure about the XCR).....but overall I think it's just H&K's pushy marketing department, desperate for a contract and creating a solution in search for a problem.

You get a cookie.

In world of pushy marketing departments, some companies have the pushiest.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Shrikes

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#6]
FN got the contract.....for the SCAR.

That's why the P90 is coming here...built in their new plant in the US.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
FN got the contract.....for the SCAR.

That's why the P90 is coming here...built in their new plant in the US.

In which some of us are prepairing for
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#8]
HK m4 seems like a pretty good idea...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#9]

In which some of us are prepairing for

Yes, among other things....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It seems like they are desperately trying to recover from losing a substatial MP5 market to the M4. They developed and saw that the OICW was going nowhere, so they pooped out the xm8. When that took too long they quickly shat out an H&K M4 upper....expect more to come....
But that's just my guess at it.

Personally I own a USP and I think it's a great pistol, but I really dislike H&K's marketing & politics.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#11]
HK isan't the best when it comes to dealing with civvies, though they did try, you know the USC, SL8, HK91/94 ect...  So now they are looking fo that big .gov contract(who isan't) to get back on top.  So every little idea that some DOD guy comes up with for a new whiz-bang weapon, HK jumps on and tries to make it real.  Then the DOD guys find out how much it's gonna cost  and looks at something else and HK jumps in on that, all the time advertising like a mofo to keep people interested.  

Noticed how the .gov has gone from a completely new idea for a weapon, to a replacement rifle, to HK's new idea, make what they have better, even the mags.  The .gov just gets ansy when they have money that they haven't spent, cause next year they will likely get less if they don't.

Maybe the .gov has come to gripes that the M16 is still viable and all that is realy needed is new ammo.

But I'm just an armchair commando so these are just opinions
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#12]
None of them.

We will continue on with the M16 type until an entirely new rifle with an amazingly new operating system and an entirely new round (maybe even type of round) is designed. The DOD will adopt this and force all NATO allies to pick the round as well. The rifle will then suck for a while, then get up to speed as a good system. We will all then commence to bitch about it, talk about how fantastic the M16 was, and gleefully point to pictures of US soldiers in combat zones with scope equipped M16s pointing out how "at least somebody has their head screwed up straight".

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#13]
M16/M4 will remain the primary rifle of the US .mil for the next 15 to 20 years.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll put pistons on 'em.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#14]
H&K M416 seems like the best option.

Feels the same to the troops so they don't really need to relearn a new weapon. Teach them how to clean it and send them out.

IMHO atleast.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#15]
The army is going to the BUSHMASTER CARBON 15 for the ultimate in Piece of Shit weaponry!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
M16/M4 will remain the primary rifle of the US .mil for the next 15 to 20 years.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll put pistons on 'em.

SWEET!  I want out when they get rid of the M4
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The army is going to the BUSHMASTER CARBON 15 for the ultimate in Piece of Shit weaponry!

Not to go too far off topic, but I've never handled a Carbon 15.  What's wrong with them?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#19]
If the army were run by ARFCOMMERS, they would get both and then post pics!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top