Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/11/2005 8:27:01 AM EDT
I was on my way back from hillsboro texas to my apt, and I was crusing at 70 mph (as my speedo says). Anyway, I pass a trooper going to opposite way, and I saw him flip a bitch. Im thinking "great", I was doing the speed limit. Honest.

He approaches the car with the typical "license, insurance, etc speech". I informed him that I am a CHL holder, and I am currently armed.

He tells me to get out of my truck, makes me face my door, "politely" but rather strongly pins my arms to my lower back, unarms me, and unloads the pistol, and leaves it in the front seat. Im thinking, hmm, that was a bit harsh...  I tell him I really was doing 70, and pretty much ruled on the fact that I installed 34" tires on my truck, hence the speedo error...

Anyway, he loosens up, gives me a warning, and we bullshit about guns when he finds out I sell them at a local shop. We part, I leave.

Is this a typical stop? Is it usual to be forcefully "but politely" disarmed as a CHL holder? Im not bashing the trooper at all, he was doing his job....and I got a warning only
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#1]
In Ohio, twice I have been stopped.  I informed them and they said OK, and nothing more came about it.  Actually, I always thought it was odd they never asked for my gun or removed it.  Maybe some of them just know we aren't the bad guys....

Dan
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Seems a bit harsh, a buddy of my doesn't have a ccw and was stopped with a gun in the glove box.  He told the cop and the cop just had them get out and cleared the gun himself.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had my chl, for 3 years now, I have never been pulled over before, im anxious to hear som responses..

glad everything went well for you
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:31:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been stopped many times in TN & we hand over our CCL along with our DL & the cops merely ask "where's the gun?" No frisking, no unloading, nada.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was on my way back from hillsboro texas to my apt, and I was crusing at 70 mph (as my speedo says). Anyway, I pass a trooper going to opposite way, and I saw him flip a bitch. Im thinking "great", I was doing the speed limit. Honest.

He approaches the car with the typical "license, insurance, etc speech". I informed him that I am a CHL holder, and I am currently armed.

He tells me to get out of my truck, makes me face my door, "politely" but rather strongly pins my arms to my lower back, unarms me, and unloads the pistol, and leaves it in the front seat. Im thinking, hmm, that was a bit harsh...  I tell him I really was doing 70, and pretty much ruled on the fact that I installed 34" tires on my truck, hence the speedo error...

Anyway, he loosens up, gives me a warning, and we bullshit about guns when he finds out I sell them at a local shop. We part, I leave.

Is this a typical stop? Is it usual to be forcefully "but politely" disarmed as a CHL holder? Im not bashing the trooper at all, he was doing his job....and I got a warning only

No, it is not typical.  IMHO, he was being overly cautious (and somewhat of a jerk).  Most times when they pull over CHL holders in Texas, they are extremely polite -- seeing that you cannot obtain a CHL without having a perfectly clean record.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In Ohio, twice I have been stopped.  I informed them and they said OK, and nothing more came about it.  Actually, I always thought it was odd they never asked for my gun or removed it.  Maybe some of them just know we aren't the bad guys....

Dan

Did you have the weapon out in plain view as prescribed by the current (screwed-up) law?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll be pissed if a trooper tries to personally disarm me.  I carry mine at 12 oclock and I'd prefer them not to be anywhere near the trigger of a firearm that close to the boys.

Haven't been stopped yet since I got my CHL.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'll be pissed if a trooper tries to personally disarm me.  I carry mine at 12 oclock and I'd prefer them not to be anywhere near the trigger of a firearm that close to the boys.

I hear that. At least I was front pocket carrying my little SW 642. It was easy enough.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I wouldn't want to CARRY a weapon in that location, safety or not.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, if you are in an unexpected situation where you need to rapidly retrieve your gun, you might have a very bad surprise.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I just started a thread about my experience...........

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=378522
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Three times, three different experiences.

1) Partner got out of the car on Def Com 1 status. they didn't say anthing but for a rolling stop, they did a visual search of the car and asked where we were going & where we lived.

2) Was more scared of my dogs than he was of me. He did ask me to show my CHL next time I was stopped.

3) Showed my CHL w/ my license, he didn't know what to do, but I did get a speeding ticket.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Glad it wasn't me that got pulled over by that jerk.  I'd have called his supervisor.  I don't appreciate being treated like a thug. I don't care how "politely" I'm forcibly disarmed.

The one time I got pulled over since I got my CHL, I handed it over with my license and told him my pistol was in the glove box, where I needed to get my insurance card.  He said to go ahead and get the card and then close the glove box back up.  No problems, no frisking, no "get out of the car", no manhandling, no disrespect.  Still got the ticket, though.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#14]
My experince is that, yes it is normal to be "politely, but strongly" unarmed. I lived in Orlando in 1998, on my way to the range one afternoon I was stopped for speeding. As soon as the officer approached the window and asked for my license, registarion etc. I informed him that I was on my way to the range and that I had a gun in the car. He told me to step out of the vehicle, with a fairly harsh tone, hand on his gun and than asked where it was.  I told him it was in the case on the floor behind the passenger seat(extended cab truck). After taking it out, and removing the mag he placed it on the drivers seat.  He asked if it was a registered gun, I answered yes of course. He told me to slow down, thanked me for informing him about the gun and sent me on my way with a "Have a nice day".

I think once LEO's find that they are dealing with law abiding citizens who have nothing to hide and are engaging in legal activities they are more relaxed. How many times in a place like Orlando do they pull someone over who is carrying a gun illegally and tries to hide that fact. Those are the situations that make LE nervous and cause them to react to us law abiders with the "polite harshness".

I am glad that they are doing their job in an acertive curteous manner. I get piece of mind believing that they catch criminals in posession of illegal firearms using the same "polite  harshness"
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#15]
The one time I informed a cop I was armed he shook his head and said, "That's OK.  Doesn't matter to me."  That was the end of it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yes, if you are in an unexpected situation where you need to rapidly retrieve your gun, you might have a very bad surprise.

"Haha!  Good thing I've got my trusty .45!"
*BLAM*
"OWSONOFABITCHMOTHER****ER!!!"  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.smartcarry.com

It covers the trigger and it is impossible to draw it without good trigger discipline.  
In addition, the trigger on my sig 299 is double action first round, and it's a heavy first shot.

This holster works very well for me - I can go jogging with athletic shorts/shirt and no one knows I've got my sig.  I could take my shirt off and no one would know.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm not going to read all that -

Concealed carry is pointless if you surrender your weapon.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My experince is that, yes it is normal to be "politely, but strongly" unarmed. I lived in Orlando in 1998, on my way to the range one afternoon I was stopped for speeding. As soon as the officer approached the window and asked for my license, registarion etc. I informed him that I was on my way to the range and that I had a gun in the car. He told me to step out of the vehicle, with a fairly harsh tone, hand on his gun and than asked where it was.  I told him it was in the case on the floor behind the passenger seat(extended cab truck). After taking it out, and removing the mag he placed it on the drivers seat.  He asked if it was a registered gun, I answered yes of course. He told me to slow down, thanked me for informing him about the gun and sent me on my way with a "Have a nice day".

Do we have some sort of registration system in Florida that I am not aware of ?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#21]
TX state trooper was shot yesterday,

They're "jumpy" today.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
TX state trooper was shot yesterday,

They're "jumpy" today.

Bingo. We have a winner I think.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Three stops no problem. Last time it was a state guy and I informed him I was armed, he didn't care. He didn't ask about drugs or weapons.....no drugs but an AR, and two pistols with 500 plus rounds on the back floor board.
It would have been interesting if he'd asked, not for him though, so I'm glad he didn't, I wanted to get home (hence the stop...).
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a formal one.  But if you get stopped in Tallahassee it gets "registered".  I got pulled over and had a  gun in the glove box.  Told the officer cause that's where my registration was.

I got pulled over a year later "You still have that Smith and Wesson in the glovebox?"

Only way 2 different officers could know is if the city of Tallahassee was maintaining a database.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If it were anything more than simple stop I would prefer to be disarmed "for both of our safety".
No slips, trips, falls, or misunderstanding if more LEO's come on the scene.
Like I told a New Orleans cop one time when he said I could take my hands off the hood;
Me:"can I go?"  
Him:"not yet"  
Me:"I'll just keep 'em om the hood , thank you."
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If there was, you know he would not have a problem with it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

glad it worked out but hell no that ain't typical! at least not here in virginny. the cops know if you're packing cuz it says so in the system but no one's ever made me show them the permit or disarmed me!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I lived in Orlando       He asked if it was a registered gun, I answered yes of course[/red

I believe registered may not be the exact term he used, this was 7 years ago - memory is a little fuzzy. He was more concerned with making sure the serial number was in place, I remember him looking at that.

Aside from the form I filled ou to buy the gun and the thumbprint, there was no other registration I had to fill out. So I don't think there is a registration system outside of the purchase. The LE was just questioning the legality of the purchase I believe, so I answered yes to his question.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#29]
That scenario described in the original post is quite dangerous. With the thousands of different firearms that people may carry it will only be a matter of time before someone catches a bullet from an officer physically removing their unfamiliar weapon from their carry system. It would just seem safer to leave it where it's at and not be handling it, epsecially if it is an unfamiliar brand.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I've been pulled over before in TX.

Officer asked if I was carrying. I said "Yes". He said "Well don't shoot me" and laughed.

Then unfortunately he proceeded to give me a $##@! ticket.

Ed
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Seems a bit harsh, a buddy of my doesn't have a ccw and was stopped with a gun in the glove box.  He told the cop and the cop just had them get out and cleared the gun himself.  

A cop goes into a vehicle with two occupants out of the vehicle? By himself?

never catch me doing that
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Well, I think it may be a bit heavy handed...but there are those on the board who will tell you you that is was perfectly justifiable and proper, and are lucky not to have been drawn down on...afterall when the police tell you to do soemthing, you better just do it wothout question...and how dare you arm yourself when they are there to take care of things.

Not many...but a few....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

That's stupid. We're talking LEO's.
Are you feeling the need to be more of a man than the officer who doesn't know you and who is stopping you in god knows what kind of situation? YOU, 99.9% of the time created the situation leading to the encounter (even if you don't think it is important).
If he is more comfortable with you disarmed, so be it. Read your CCW law and what you are expected to submit to.
Do you figure you may have to draw down on the officer for some reason?
It's not imasculation....for  most of us, that is.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's stupid. We're talking LEO's.
Are you feeling the need to be more of a man than the officer who doesn't know you and who is stopping you in god knows what kind of situation? YOU, 99.9% of the time created the situation leading to the encounter (even if you don't think it is important).
If he is more comfortable with you disarmed, so be it. Read your CCW law and what you are expected to submit to.
Do you figure you may have to draw down on the officer for some reason?
It's not imasculation....for  most of us, that is.

I really do agree with you. I know a bunch of LEOs, and they are just normal people who want to go home at the end of the night without holes in thier bodies. I am unknown to him, and he was just VERY cautious. Im not mad at all, just interested. Plus, the fact that a trooper got shot yesterday would put any trooper in high PRF.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#35]
In my state we are not required to state our carry status when pulled over and I don't.  I am not a criminal so my carry status has no bearing on any business we may have together.  I have been stopped once for a traffic situation and have had conversations with LEO's about other things while carrying.  My possession of a weapon was irrelevant.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Here's a play by play of the conversation when I got stopped for the only time so far carrying.

State Trooper: Lisence, registration, proof of insurance, please.
Me: Here you go. My carry permit is also in there.
State Trooper : Oh, you have a firearm on you?
Me: Yeah.
State Trooper: Where is it?
Me: Behind my right hip.
State Trooper: Oh. Okay. This isn't your insurance card.
Me: *realizes I gave him the wrong piece of paper* Oh, damn. Sorry. Here you go.
State Trooper: Okay, I'll be right back.

I never got out of the car, he never even saw my sidearm. I did notice his partner covering me from the other side (behind and to the right), but I figure since it was 0200 he'd probably been there the whole time for safety's sake.

We don't have to say in PA if we are, but I do. It's not required but I think it's polite. He's gonna know when he runs my DL and stuff anyway, I think.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#37]
That’s pretty much how it works in Milwaukee.

(except for the part where you get arrested, are thrown into to the luxurious city jail for 36 hours before being charged, and then eventually fined $471, plus: good bye gun.  Never happened to me  fortunately.)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#38]
-
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dan

Did you have the weapon out in plain view as prescribed by the current (screwed-up) law?

Yes, G27 in Black widow holster at about the 1 o'clock.  Seatbelt tucked behind the thumbreak, so it is plainly viewable from either side of the car.

-Dan

(BTW, both stops where in a construction area where we where building.  I was there late at night and the stop's just verified I belnged and was not a theif....short, verified ID and went on...)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#41]
I asked this question to my instructor and he said don't ask don't tell?
Is that right for CT law?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Hell, I got stopped while carrying two pistols and having an M4gery and a AK in the back of the truck the other day.   The cop asked if I had any weapons and I answered "Yes".   He asked what and I told him.   I also informed him of my poesssion of a CCW.   He said "Ok" and let me off with a warning...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#43]
I do think that it was kind of unprofessional for him to have laid his hands on you in that manner.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

One time I was driving up I-17 to Flagstaff. Got pulled over by Yavapai County Sheriff's Office for a cracked windshield. Was open carrying at the time since I hadn't yet gotten my CCW. Guns on my left in a kydex OWB, and my wallet was in my left rear pocket. So since I'm going to be reaching back there to get my wallet, I didn't want the guy to shoot me thinking I'm trying to draw. So I says, "Deputy, just so's ya knowz, I have a gun...holster...blah blah...wallet."

Deputy says, "So? So do I."

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#45]
I always volunteer right away that my gun is in my glove-box and that they can get it if they like. I have had two cops out of 5 get the gun, unload it, and keep it in their car until they are finished giving me the ticket/warning. The other 3 just said it would be OK. But they watched like a hawk with their hand on their gun as I retrieved my insurance info from my glove-box. I don't blame them for trying to be careful. When I get pulled over, I always try to do anything I can to make them feel more at ease (don't put hands in pockets or make sudden moves etc.).
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Disarming a CHL or LEO when there is no reason to is just plain silly and dangerous. Sooner or later, it is going to get someone killed.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
A Texas CHL instructor (retired LEO, 13yrs behind the badge) told me that (unofficially) you have about an 85% chance of getting out of a simple speeding ticket if you have a CHL.  Once you present that license, they know you're one of the good guys and you're not going to do anything to them.  

That means I am a 15%er.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#48]
The law states that the police officer (at his discretion) may disarm you if he feels it is needed.  

What makes them "feel it is needed?"  Who knows.  However that's what the law states and if they want to disarm me, that's perfectly fine.

That being said, I've been pulled over 3 times with my CHL, with my weapon (Twice by State Troopers, and once by Giddings, TX PD).  I informed them I was carrying, and they said "Okay.  I'll be right back."

The third time, I had my pistol in the center console, on TOP of my insurance card.  I handed my DL and CHL to the Trooper, and said, "My insurance card is in the center console, under my pistol."  He told me, "Well, just reach in there and get it without pointing your gun at me, and we'll be fine."

99% of the time here in TX, you'll be just fine.  Is it possible they'll disarm you?  Sure.  Politeness is the key in the situation.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Zero Dark Thirty in coastal Oregon, I'm driving from a night class to do another on the coast in the morning.

A County Sheriff pulls me over, "Your license plate light is burnt out, the plate is not readable. May I see your license and registration, please"

Me, with dome light on and both hands clearly visible on wheel. "OK, thank you.  I didn't know that.  My registration is in the glove box and my license is in my wallet, should I get them now?"

Deputy, "Yes."

As I hand him my license and registration I say, "I have a CHL and have a Glock nine on my right side waist."

Deputy, "Uh, OK. Never know who you'll find out here, I've seen rolling meth labs."

He took about 2 minutes to check me out, came back, handed me my creds, and we talked for a minute or so about how to get to my motel.  Very professional.

I wonder about the legality of a Texas Trooper controlling your body physically, disarming you, and searching your vehicle without a proper arrest, unless you verbally consented.

Rick

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I wonder about the legality of a Texas Trooper controlling your body physically, disarming you, and searching your vehicle without a proper arrest, unless you verbally consented.

He didn't search the vehicle (unless I missed that in the post).

As far as disarming a CHL holder in TX:

GC §411.207. AUTHORITY OF PEACE OFFICER TO DISARM. A
peace officer who is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official
duties may disarm a license holder at any time the officer reasonably
believes it is necessary for the protection of the license holder,
officer, or another individual. The peace officer shall return the
handgun to the license holder before discharging the license holder
from the scene if the officer determines that the license holder is not a
threat to the officer, license holder, or another individual and if the
license holder has not violated any provision of this subchapter or
committed any other violation that results in the arrest of the license
holder.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top