Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 7:47:33 AM EDT
Man sentenced for possessing assault rifle
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050811/NEWS01/108110044/-1/news

By STEPHANIE HOOPER, Telegraph Staff
[email protected]

Published: Thursday, Aug. 11, 2005

A Hudson man was sentenced to more than two years in federal prison Wednesday for possessing an assault rifle after previously being convicted of a felony.

Michael Hughes, 25, formerly of 27 Shoalcreek Road, pleaded guilty in late March to possessing the Romarm model SAR-1 AK-47, 7.62 X 39 caliber assault rifle and ammunition that Hudson police and probation officers found in his home in November, according to court documents filed at U.S. District court in Concord.

U.S. District Judge Joseph A. DiClerico sentenced Hughes on Wednesday to two years and three months in federal prison for violating the federal firearms law banning felons from possessing weapons, according to court records.

Probation officials, assisted by Hudson police, initially arrested Hughes at his residence Nov. 17 on a probation violation.

At the time Hughes, who was on probation for a felony drug conviction, had failed to report his probation officer for about four months, police said.

The rifle as well as 20 individually wrapped bags of heroin, were found in a subsequent search of the residence, First Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph Laplante said.

In August, Hughes’ defense attorney argued that because of the September 2004 sunset on the federal ban of assault rifles, Hughes was not subject to enhanced penalties for possession of the high-powered weapon, Laplante said.

The court rejected the argument, Laplante said, and along with the prison term Hughes was sentenced to three years probation upon release
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#1]
GOOD!

Punish the criminals.... Not those of us that have done nothing wrong!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#2]
+1
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#3]
the title is abit misleading.

Shouldn't it be "Convicted Felon Sentenced for possesing firearm" ?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#4]
And?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#5]
there are select fire sar-1's???
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#6]
man, bury that fucker! what a lousy story, i thought it was about some regular joe who'd been convicted of simple possession...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I see we have dropped the assualt weapon and moved straight to assualt rifle now.  

He's a felon in possesion period.  Wouldn't matter if it were a break action .22 single shot.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#8]

The rifle as well as 20 individually wrapped bags of heroin, were found in a subsequent search of the residence, First Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph Laplante said.

i like how the mention of 20 bags of heroin makes it towards the bottom of the article - the "assault rifle" is much more evil and needs more attention!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I don't think any of us have a problem with a felon getting busted in possesion of a firearm, semi auto rifle or not.

If its some honest guy getting arrested for simply owning a rifle, then we have a problem.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

i like how the mention of 20 bags of heroin makes it towards the bottom of the article - the "assault rifle" is much more evil and needs more attention!

Well DUHHHHH    We all KNOW heroin bags don't just fall off ice cream trucks and start killing people by themselves !

Come on, try to keep up !

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

In August, Hughes’ defense attorney argued that because of the September 2004 sunset on the federal ban of assault rifles, Hughes was not subject to enhanced penalties for possession of the high-powered weapon, Laplante said.

How do people like that sleep at night?  I know all the fair trial, representation etc etc, but really?  I can't see how you can defend or try  for a lighter sentance for someone you know is  guilty.  Yeah, I am reading too much into the article, yada yada yada......
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Isn't that one of those 10 yr. mandatory sentences? The courts will be the death of this country.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

But then it would be sensationalized.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#15]
If everyone was armed, and could open carry, criminals with guns wouldn't be a problem.

When you deny the right of citizens to bear arms, then you will have a problem with the baduys having guns.

The wolves will always be armed. If you disarm the sheep, you can get the sheep to agree that the criminals shouldn't be allowed to possess guns.

This is EVOLUTION!

Now the sheep only see guns as a dangerous thing that must be controlled.

No man that is alowed to walk with every other man in society should be denied his rights. If he is that dangerous of a man, he should not be breathing air, much less walking around on this earth.

Gun Control, is BULLSHIT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#16]
The rifle as well as 20 individually wrapped bags of heroin,

It took them a while to metion this part

GM
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The news media is notorious for doing BS misleading titles like this to get you to read the crap that they foist on you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Sucks to be him.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Man I hope they nail his ass, in court and in prison.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#20]
How else do they expect a convicted felon to protect is heroin stash?   Just kidding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top