Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 9:47:00 PM EDT
I want the contrast ratio to be high right? How high is good? What is the beginning of a good brightness level? Anyother benchmarks I should look for to tell if it good? Refresh rate? etc etc.

Any good deals I should know of for one?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#1]
basically i would decide on a price range, at the price range get whatever one has the best contrast ratio, brightness, and lowerest response time.

dont get anything with a higher response time that 30ms, i wouldnt recommend anything above 24
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#2]
There is an easy way to tell.  Just make sure it says "Samsung" on it.

Look at response time and color ratio.

If you are really looking for quality, check out the Samsung 172x.  They will be hard to find, but worth their weight in gold.  Its only 12ms, but is infinitely better than any of the new 8ms POS monitors out these days.  The color on the 172x is pretty much perfect also, 600:1 color ratio.

All samsung monitors are exellent, its just that the 172x is perfecetion as far as LCD monitors go.  Its the only brand I will even consider when looking at an LCD.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
What I am asking is, the higher the number in the contrast ratio the better right? Is the brightness # better if higher or lower? Are there generally accepted numbers that dtermines a good one from a mediocre one?

Anything else I should look for to compare between?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There is an easy way to tell.  Just make sure it says "Samsung" on it.

Look at response time and color ratio.

If you are really looking for quality, check out the Samsung 172x.  They will be hard to find, but worth their weight in gold.  Its only 12ms, but is infinitely better than any of the new 8ms POS monitors out these days.  The color on the 172x is pretty much perfect also, 600:1 color ratio.

All samsung monitors are exellent, its just that the 172x is perfecetion as far as LCD monitors go.  Its the only brand I will even consider when looking at an LCD.

I'll look into those. Thanks,
S.O.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What I am asking is, the higher the number in the contrast ratio the better right? Is the brightness # better if higher or lower? Are there generally accepted numbers that dtermines a good one from a mediocre one?

Anything else I should look for to compare between?

The contrast ratio relates to the display’s comparative difference between its brightest white values and its darkest black values. A higher contrast ratio will have truer colors with less “wash out.” The standard offering for lower end models is commonly 350:1. Many experts recommend a contrast ratio of 500:1 or better.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Lacie and Samsung are the best.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#7]
After looking at stats for a long time, comparing them to the LCD panels in person, and virtually pulling my hair out over this problem, I decided that the only good way to judge the quality of an LCD monitor is to look at the damn thing and try it out.

Jim

p.s.--MAG and BenQ have seemed to have consistently good quality from what I have personally seen, and I bought a 15" MAG as a monitor for a new work-ish computer for image analysis.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
What about brightness?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top