Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2005 9:08:36 PM EDT
I just went in my kids room and found a black widow thats pretty damm big. about 2 inches across. Should I be worried about more of them in the room. I will take pics after the sucker dies. I have it trapped in a food container. It had allot of web where I found it.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Kill it.

Kill them all.

Burn the room.

ETA yes, you should do a really good search/sanitizing. Those fuckers are nasty.

Spray it with Berrymans Chem Tool!!! I don't know why it does it, but this stuff does a number on black widows! It will probably melt the tupperware too, so do it outside.

WOW! That is a big one! Been around for a while too. You better get to checking the house asap.

And your kid's ears!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
days if not week before it will die.
pick container up and smash it with a book
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Burn the room.

+1...... burn the room, gotta be sure.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Rumor has it that if you don't kill it, it will come back for you.

That's what an old wife told me anyway.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Make it suffer by putting some kind of chemical to kill it such as lighter fluid or gas costs too much. Then post video, pics.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#6]
.45acp.   Empty the mag.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I hit one with spray adhesive once.

That was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Nuke.
Orbit.
The Usual “Back off 10 clicks and nuke it ‘til it glows” stuff.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I killed a black widow yesterday that was on the hood of my  freaking car.

BTW, you know those "mud dauber" wasps? Don't tear down their nests or kill them. They hunt down and kill black widows. In fact, they are the black widows biggest enemy in nature.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Nuke 'em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I found a brown recluse floating in the bathtub with my girls last year.  Right now there's one (a recluse, not a girl) living in the windowframe of my shower.  I've half a mind to spray him with something deadly.

A Brown Recluse will fuck you up as bad as a widow. Tell the smart half of your mind to tell the other half of your mind to get her shit together and take care of that damn thing before an egg sack balloons all over your house.

To the original poster: Bomb that room PRONTO with heavy duty "kills anything that crawls" bug spray. Have the kids bunk down on the couch one night or something while you heavily concentrate their room. Widows usually won't kill an adult but they will sure as hell do a number on kids.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Widows are in some ways less worrisome to me than recluses.

Widows are dangerous for kids and the elderly, but for a healthy adult, their bite usually isn't a big deal.

However, the recluse's bite is nasty. The recluse has a hemotoxic type of venom that will basically cause the flesh to rot unless treated early and aggressive with lots of antibiotics. On the other hand, the widow's poision os a neurotoxin. After the initial effects wear off, you're in the clear.

BTW,  a black widow's venom is about 15X stronger than a rattlesnake's. Luckily, they inject far less of it when they bite than a snake.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I killed a black widow yesterday that was on the hood of my  freaking car.

BTW, you know those "mud dauber" wasps? Don't tear down their nests or kill them. They hunt down and kill black widows. In fact, they are the black widows biggest enemy in nature.

Mud Daubers don't "mobilize" for nest defense, and are non-aggressive.  They needn't be killed unless their nests are a problem.

Yellow Jackets, on the other hand, will viciously defend a nest and sting the shit out of you.

Funny story:   Last week, one of my law partners' had his wife go on the deck, where she unfortunately located a nest of Yellow Jackets under their table and pissed them right the hell off.  So they swarmed and started stinging her.

My partner, quick thinker that he is, grabbed the sliding porch screen and SLAMMED it shut.

With his wife still outside getting stung.

She RIPPED the screen off its tracks to get in the house, kicked him square in the ass, and banished him to the counch where he remains now.  

We have a pool going on how long before she lets him back on, but with SIX stings the size of golf balls, we think he's not getting pie for quite a while.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Burn the entire house down and dont post pics

I hate spiders
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Burn, baby, burn . Widows and recluses really, really suck, you have to be sure to destroy them because they can still lay eggs post-mortem.  Airsoft works nice for dismantling them, just be sure to completely destroy the remains.  When you shoot them with airsoft, it's a lot like Starship Troopers.  The little jerks can jump and stuff, it makes sense to not want to make physical contact with them when you kill them.  Destroy the ones you find and bomb the room.  However, be aware that bug bombs aren't always as effective as they should be, so after you do it, you still need to keep your eyes open.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Burn the entire house down and dont post pics

I hate spiders

Me too!

Nuke with Raid now, call an exterminator tomorrow!!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
before an egg sack balloons all over your house

True, dat.  Ok, guess I'll kill the poor little guy tonight.  

Poor little guy?!?

Do you feel the same way for small rattlesnakes?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
before an egg sack balloons all over your house

True, dat.  Ok, guess I'll kill the poor little guy tonight.  

Perhaps the picture on this link will eliminate that sentiment

dermatlas.med.jhmi.edu/derm/IndexDisplay.cfm?ImageID=1467319660
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YES!  

But I have come to terms that, at least in and around my house, sometimes some things just need killin'.

You need to get over that crap.

Nature is NOT human hearted.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you think I am clicking that, you need to put down the crack pipe.  

It is a college medical site - note the EDU domain name.  It shows what "one of those cute little critters" can do to a person.  It would do you some good to look at it, so in the future you will cease to be merciful to them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YES!  

But I have come to terms that, at least in and around my house, sometimes some things just need killin'.

You need to get over that crap.

Nature is NOT human hearted.

Walt Disney did not devise some of these creatures, the devil did.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Hell, we find brown recluse spiders in the house all the damn time.  There must be a nest of them somewhere near here.  The keep coming in out of the rain and hot.  The cats keep killing them though.  The ONE thing that damn cats are good for
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Hell, we find brown recluse spiders in the house all the damn time.  There must be a nest of them somewhere near here.  The keep coming in out of the rain and hot.  The cats keep killing them though.  The ONE thing that damn cats are good for

My wife has been taken to the hospital 3 times because of them, nearly died once.  Found a large nest under the house.  They ceased to be a threat soon afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#31]
0-0 buckshot for dem critters.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Jesus H. Christ! That one has a friggin beard!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I always though Widows were rather attractive as far as spiders go. Used to keep them as pets when I was younger. When my mom found out she freaked.

Recluses just plain fucking scare me. The idea of being pre-digested...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I have the sudden urge to find a pet friendly motel and bug bomb the fuck out of this house... Although I havent seen a black widow or brown recluse, we just had an invasion of what looked like baby wolf spiders...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Gosh, I am glad to know with relative certainty that there are none of those things in my house. I have been so paranoid about recluses that I actually go through my house at night with a flashlight in search of them. Sometimes I do that several times each night. LOL. And these are detailed sweeps too, every nook and cranny. So far, living in this house for a number of years, I've never seen one...dead, alive or otherwise. There's tons of black widows outside, but neither of the two have ever been encountered inside.

I hope that's the way things stay. I live within the "recluse zone" shown on most maps, but they just don't seem to be very common here. Why I dunno. I'll just not complain.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you think I am clicking that, you need to put down the crack pipe.  

That looks like someone put an immersion blender to that leg
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
www.addlepated.net/archives/images/recluse2.jpg

Jesus H. Christ! That one has a friggin beard!

ya that ones a seasoned veteran
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#38]
You should keep it alive and when you catch other spiders or bugs put them in the container w/ the widow and let them fight it out in the Ring of Death  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#39]
OMG!!

My skin is crawling!!

Ok, guess I'll kill the poor little guy tonight.<---MrsGloftoe

If those things were your size, and you were theirs, do you think they would feel the same way???

KILL them now, KILL them all!!

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:25:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
You should keep it alive and when you catch other spiders or bugs put them in the container w/ the widow and let them fight it out in the Ring of Death  

LOL Yes!

Black Widow vs. Brown Recluse would be a good matchup.  You could also see what one of those Tarantula Hawk wasps might do with a Brown Recluse.  Spider vs. Scorpion is usually pretty interesting, from what I have heard.  Also, Praying Mantises are supposed to be able to take spiders to school.  Just some ideas
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Posting pictures of spiders should be a banable offense!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:09:02 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

+1  and clowns tooo
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:36:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Great.  In warm weather I get tons of Black Widows in my back yard.

The pictures of the Brown Recluse spider look like some that I have seen in my house in Arizona but they are not supposed to exist in Arizona.   But there is an Arizona Brown spider that is supposed to be nasty.  But then again other Arizona websites say the recluse does exist here.

Arizona Brown spider

I also hate coming across one of these buggers that are about a foot long.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:22:30 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  and clowns tooo

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:28:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Did you say you caught a black widow that was TWO INCHES across????? Holy God! I've never seen one much larger than 1" and it was HUGE...If this one is THAT large, I'd contact a local aquarium/zoo and see if they'd like to have it for an exhibit....of course, that's assuming I could forego my instinct to see what a 12 ga would do to it...the hell with the drywall...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#46]
YA,
Thats what I was thinking, but the wife shook the hell out of it while it was in the food container and kiled it. It is by far the bigest one I have ever seen. I took some pics of it. I just have to post them. WHen I say two inches accfross I am meaning leg width.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#47]
I added pics of the sucker.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Holy crap that thing is HUGE!!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#49]
...So is it a detriment to my manhood that as soon as pictures started showing on the thread, I freaked and Alt + F4'ed everything??
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I just went in my kids room and found a black widow thats pretty damm big. about 2 inches across. Should I be worried about more of them in the room. I will take pics after the sucker dies. I have it trapped in a food container. It had allot of web where I found it.
www.hunt101.com/img/313234.jpg
www.hunt101.com/img/313235.jpg
www.hunt101.com/img/313236.jpg
www.hunt101.com/img/313238.jpg

KILL IT!  KILL IT NOW!    Damn, that thing is just freaky looking.  MJD
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top