Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 7:45:55 PM EDT
I was on my way home from work at around 4:00 PM today driving through town. It was a 25MPH speed limit so I was going below 25MPH. Out of nowhere there's a loud BOOM and my car is shuddering and I'm thrown all about the car. I immediately slam on the brakes with a screech to see a car to my right stopped and the driver staring at me. My first instinct I'm afraid to admit was to ream out the driver for just nailing me out of the blue. I get out of the car and the first thing she says as she looks at the passenger side of my car is: "That sucks."

That sucks!? I couldn't believe it and just shook my head. "I guess we should call the cops." she says next. I'm a little more than just pissed and spit out "Yeah, you should." Luckily enough a cop came down the road not 2 minutes after it happened and I flagged him down to take a look. The lady claims to have insurance but doesn't have her card on her, and says that we need to worry about the police report later because she needs to catch the last ferry for the day (I live on a medium sized island). She's a resident of the town and everyone knows her so the cop lets her go and talks to me.

Aside from pissing me off that she let him go, he was very polite and took down all my information. The lady that hit me initially accused me of driving too fast, and that's what caused the accident. I told the officer that I know for a FACT I was going UNDER the posted speed of 25MPH.

Why? Because no more than 10 yards from where the accident happened, I had come to an almost complete stop to wave a pedestrian across the street. The walker didn't want to pass and waved me on. And I know that unless I had completely floored the gas there's no way I could have hit 25MPH much less gone above it in a matter of 10 yards.

As I'm giving the cop the information, I sit down on the hood of my car and notice my neck is really starting to hurt. The adrenaline of getting hit must have been wearing off because it really started to kill in a minute or two. I tell the cop and he almost pages out an ambulance for me. I tell him that's not necessary and head down the road a mile or so to the local health clinic. Doctor checks me out and there's no major spinal injuries, just a sore neck, back, legs, shoulders, etc.

As for my car, both passenger side doors are unable to be opened. The wheel well has a 6"x6" dent that pushes the metal back a good 4 inches into the car. There's a gouge from the front passenger side wheel all the way to the beginning of the rear passenger side door. The tire has gouges on it and the hubcap is bent to shit. No word if the frame is shot to shit. The cop said off the top of his head it looked like at least 3k worth of damage.

Now I'm sitting at home sore as hell with a busted car outside.

And the worst part of this story? The vehicle that HIT ME only had one bit of damage. Their license plate was torn off and the front fender had a few scratches. First thing the lady did as I exited my car was bitch about her ruined license plate.

I filed a claim with my insurance company an hour after the accident happened and they're already sending over a sheet to cover payment on medical charges.

Other than the insurance company helping so far, is there no justice in the world?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't you wreck a vehicle...like...yesterday?
Was that someone else?
I could have sworn it was you...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#2]
sucks bro never been in a accident so i have no advice
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Was that someone else?

That was someome else.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]
wow that sucks

yeah, those 5mph bumpers do a lot compared to sheet metal doors.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]
that sucks.

at least you weren't rear ended.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Forgot to add that the worst part of it is I go back to college in 2.5 weeks. Unless the insurance companies on both sides and an autobody shop move lightning quick, there's no way I'll have the car back in time to drive the 500+ miles to school.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#7]
She sounds rich. Start chiropractic treatment for whiplash.  See an orthopedic surgeon.  Take some time off work.  You own her.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I hate stupid people.
I got rearended by an ambulance once and as I step out of the car the chick in the passenger seat of the ambulance asks the driver if he blacked out...AGAIN .  WTF?
They hit me going pretty fast and totalled my parents brand new car...that was great, and me being 5 hours from home without permission didn't help things.
Insurance was cool though, the check paid for a new car (had an '03 w/ 8000 miles and it covered same model '04 brand new).  That was two years ago but still pisses me off...btw the ambulance wasn't on a run, I was at a red light...it just hit me (4th of July 03' now that I think about it).

ETA: They duct-taped the bumper back onto the ambulance (one side was hanging) and it drove away.  The corolla I was driving was so fucked up.  The frame was bent, the drunk was smashed in to about against the rear seat (it also pushed me into the Jeep Wrangler in front of me)  The headlights and both windshields got smashed, a fricken CD that was in the glove compartment shattered! (WTF?) But my girlfriend and I were alright.  She had rugburns on her arms from the airbag (she was actually driving) though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Her insurance (or your's and they will bill her's) should provide for a rental till your car is repaired...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was that someone else?

That was someome else.

That was me.  Crazy woman nailed my car that was parked in front of my house.

Robo, sounds like my crazy chic has a sister.  

I'm glad you're alright, though.  Be grateful, b/c it could have been a lot worse.

What really surprises me is how sore I am for a crash that took place at such a low speed. I was going less than 25MPH and she was pulling a U-turn in a parking lot that ended right in the side of my car. Even at a low speed my body is shook all to hell and the right side doors are toasted. If I had been going 65 and her 25 they'd still be trying to extract me from the car with the jaws of life .
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I heard it was Combatvet getting back at you!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Forgot to add that the worst part of it is I go back to college in 2.5 weeks. Unless the insurance companies on both sides and an autobody shop move lightning quick, there's no way I'll have the car back in time to drive the 500+ miles to school.

I'll bet the insurance company will get to cover your costs (car rental); if it's within reason, maybe even getting your car shipped to you at your school (while you're driving around in that rental).
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was that someone else?

That was someome else.

That was me.  Crazy woman nailed my car that was parked in front of my house.

Robo, sounds like my crazy chic has a sister.  

I'm glad you're alright, though.  Be grateful, b/c it could have been a lot worse.

What really surprises me is how sore I am for a crash that took place at such a low speed. I was going less than 25MPH and she was pulling a U-turn in a parking lot that ended right in the side of my car. Even at a low speed my body is shook all to hell and the right side doors are toasted. If I had been going 65 and her 25 they'd still be trying to extract me from the car with the jaws of life .

Of course you're sore!  Your body took a tremendous impact, even though it might not have felt so big.  Since you didn't see it coming, you're actually probably better off than if you'd seen it coming and tensed up.  You'd REALLY be hurting then.  That's why the drunks that get into accidents always seem to walk away unscathed.  Never knew what hit them.

Yeah, that does make sense I was better off not seeing it coming. My body was allowed to naturally absorb the impact, not be forced around while tensed up, as you said.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top