Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 7:17:52 PM EDT
Here's my situation:

I own a house in Metro Detroit. I have moved to the great state of Tejas, and I intend to live the rest of my life south of Amarillo, West of Shreveport, LS, East of Clovis, NM and north of the Rio Grande.

I owe $147,000 and change on the joint in MI. The market is in near shambles. I've found an agent that will take 5% to list the joint. From what she is telling me (and others as well) I have to be prepared to take a couple grand to closing to dump the place. If I list at $160,000 and sell at $158,000 then when you figure in comission I'll about break even. Since I'm in a position where I have to either sell at a loss or break even, I was thing about trying my luck with a real estate broker.

My logic is this: If he buys my house at what I owe, then he can flip it at $158,000 or even $156,000 (priced VERY competitivly for that market) and walk away with 8 to 10 Grand, and I'm out from under.

What do y'all think? Am I high on drugs?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
the contract is everything.  if you breakeven in both cases-dump it.  the broker has to pay the buyers' agent their half, so don't appear too desperate.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The broker doesn't have to pay anybody if he keeps it as a pocket listing (that's what I'd do).  I'm a real estate broker and land developer.  I buy homes from folks all the time.  Its obvious that I wouldn't do so if it wern't beneficial to me.  Usually I can help someone get out of a house that may otherwise loose it to the bank, so their happy.  I get it at a decent deal that I can then fix what's needed and sell it to a buyer myself, having to pay no comission to anyone.  Usually nets me around 15-20k for my trouble.
If you have any RE questions, IM me and I"ll do what I can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top