BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 4:54:43 PM EDT
In the local paper today...

Armed citizen's quick thinking yields arrests
Man held suspected vehicle prowler for sheriff's deputies
BY SCOTT GUTIERREZ

THE OLYMPIAN

A citizen armed with a .44 Magnum stopped a suspected thief long enough for sheriff's deputies to make an arrest Tuesday morning.

The decision by Chuck Estes led to two arrests connected to a string of vehicle break-ins in a neighborhood near the intersection of Normandy Drive and View Ridge Drive, west of Lacey.

Estes didn't keep the gun -- a revolver with a 6-inch barrel -- pointed very long, he said. He holstered it immediately after determining the suspect didn't pose a threat, he said.

"I made it very clear to stay in the car and that he was not at risk and that I was not a threat," said Estes, 40, who has a concealed weapon permit.

It was about 4 a.m., and Estes was on his way to work when he noticed someone had sliced into his wife's convertible to steal her stereo and speakers. He didn't think he had time to deal with it right away.

But as he headed down the street, he noticed two younger males climbing into a Volkswagen Rabbit loaded with electronics and other equipment. He thought it seemed suspicious and decided to stop. One suspect ran.

Holding his flashlight and gun, Estes approached the driver's side window and ordered the suspect to put his hands on the dashboard. Then he called 9-1-1.

"Hopefully that's the last time I'll have to pull it out of the holster," Estes said.

The first suspect, seated in the front passenger seat, turned out to be Ryan W. Gill, 16, of Olympia, who was taken to the Thurston County Juvenile Detention Center on suspicion of first-degree theft and second-degree theft.

Inside the car was a laptop computer, Estes' speakers, a handheld global positioning system and a flashlight, according to police reports. Some items belong to another car prowl victim who also had his credit cards stolen.

Deputies also found a driver's license that helped them track down the second suspect, Matthew A. Borcherding, 21, of Olympia, who was arrested and booked into Thurston County Jail on suspicion of first-degree theft. Gill told deputies he was the lookout man, police reports say.

Unsolved cases

The sheriff's office gets hundreds of vehicle prowl reports every year, and many go unsolved, Chief Criminal Deputy Dan Kimball said.

In this case, deputies have confirmed at least five victims and possibly more.

"In all honesty, if he hadn't taken some action, we'd probably be sitting here today with several thousands of dollars in stolen property," Kimball said. "These kids would have gotten away with it, and we'd have no idea who did it."

Estes appears to have handled the situation skillfully and did some "good police work," Kimball said. However, the sheriff's office would prefer that citizens call 9-1-1 first.

"Be a good witness, call police and let them handle it," Kimball said. "Our standard response is that we don't want to see anybody get hurt."

EDIT:  Knowing Thurston County Sheriff, this was a CYA statement.  The department as a whole is VERY pro gun-rights.  The Sheriff loudly opposed I-676, which would have devastated the CCW laws here.

Estes said he doesn't have any law enforcement background. He served in the military as a heavy equipment operator and now works as a superintendent at a sand and gravel operation.

He has had training in handling and shooting guns and is an avid hunter and recreational sportsman, he said. The best self- defense is being aware of your surroundings and using common sense, he said.

"I want to be very clear that I choose to carry a pistol for personal protection and not to go out and stop thugs and not to be a vigilante," he said.

He kept the gun out just long enough to ensure that he was safe and to retrieve his property, he said.

Estes, who has two teenage sons, said he would not have chased the suspect had he decided to bolt.

"I love kids, and they make mistakes," he said. "When I found out he was only 16, my heart fell out. What was he doing out at that hour? I hope this young man might see the light."

Scott Gutierrez covers crime and law enforcement for The Olympian. He can be reached at 360-754-5465 or at sgutierr@ olympia.gannett.com.

Link To Original Story
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#1]
It's always nice to see a well written article that doesn't try to make the ccw holder out to be a "vigilante rambo" type.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
free bump
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Estes appears to have handled the situation skillfully and did some "good police work," Kimball said. However, the sheriff's office would prefer that citizens call 9-1-1 first.

"Be a good witness, call police and let them handle it," Kimball said. "Our standard response is that we don't want to see anybody get hurt."

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#4]
While the article above is pretty good the TV talking heads called him a vigilante.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Honestly, I can understand why they say shit like this sometimes.

If the sheriff's office were to come out and say, "Great job! I wish we had more people that did this sort of thing! Totally rad!" then every drooling jackass with an old Raven .32 would be out holding people at gunpoint to wait for the cops or worse.

Some people aren't smart enough to be going around doing what Estes did, and we don't want to encourage them to do so.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the sheriff's office were to come out and say, "Great job! I wish we had more people that did this sort of thing! Totally rad!" then every drooling jackass with an old Raven .32 would be out holding people at gunpoint to wait for the cops or worse.

Some people aren't smart enough to be going around doing what Estes did, and we don't want to encourage them to do so.

WTF? He did percisely what everyone should do in that situation.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It sends the wrong message though. If you are going to say that people are idiots and would take it the wrong way if you congratulated the guy. Then you have to understand that the "idiots" will take you saying don't get involved tomean that it is not appropriate to do so.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quote from an older woman who knows the guy and lives in the neighborhood.

"don't mess with Chuck"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top