Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 4:54:16 PM EDT
email from a friend (and wondering if I would have kept my cool in the same situation)

Now I have had plenty of close encounters with predators up here, especially Black Bear. Today, I get out on remote walking trail and my dog runs down a hill to a creek to get some water. At least that's what I think. All of a sudden it is very quiet and then some ruckus( more than one animal). I can't see anything but all of a sudden I hear alot of scraping. I look at the direction it is coming from and there are 2 bear cubs climbing a tree. About a second later all Hell breaks loose. And the racket is moving up hill towards me. Aw shit, I am thinking as I clack the slector and bring my rifle up. They are both now visible coming up the hill right at the trail about 15m ahead of me. The Sow is about 6ft behind my dog who hits the trail and turns right for me. By now the Sow has turned and is coming right at me, only a foot or two behind my dog and swiping at her as she runs, snarling and snapping. Fucking thing is really pissed. Dog is right in front and is about 1/3 the height of the bear. 10m. Dog is a little on the left side of the bear and my first shot is just over her and into the right low chest. The sow drops about an inch and is recovering her stride as I am squeezing for the second shot and my dog crosses in front turning right to get around a bush. Bang! Second shot left upper chest as the bear is turning, with the angle of shot right at the vitals. Now turning more, she is almost turned in the front half and my 3rd shot is right behind the shoulder, again into the vitals. First 3 shots in under 1 second. Sow rolls onto her back, thrashes and then rolls forward onto her haunches, extends her neck out and takes one last roar. Bang, bang. Double tap to the neck. One in the vessels, second up into the Cspine.

If I had been unarmed I'd be digesting right now, no question at all in my mind. That bear was pissed and wasn't stopping for shit. I don't think even a handgun would have been sufficient at all. At the least my dog would be dead and I'd have been badly wounded.

Training paid off bigtime though. No panic, no hesitation, stayed cool. When it was obvious it was kill or be killed I did the job in fine fashion. Pissed at my dog though. The Sow only did what she had to from her perspective and I felt sick to my stomach with each squeeze of the trigger. Damn shame to kill something for nothing.

But we both survived

* sorta puts everyone's day in the office in perspective, doesn't it? *
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
so what happened to the cubs???
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#2]
ya know, that's a good question, will find out.

personally, I suspect that I would have been preoccupied with URPP IV* than wondering about the wee ones, but that's a darn good question.

*Undergarment Removal of Poop Posture
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#3]
what kind of rifle?

3 shots in 1 second? sure wasn't a bolt gun....sounds like a full auto. perhaps a B.A.R?..nah that would have been like 10 rounds in a second or something.

did he take pictures? great stories are worth more with pictures.

did he alert the game warden/park ranger? it was self defence so I'm sure he wouldn't have gotton in any trouble.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
3 shots in ~1 sec is more than possible with a semi-auto and doubleshot of adrenaline.

My guess is it was an AR because of the "clack [of] the slector "
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
email from a friend (and wondering if I would have kept my cool in the same situation)

I think most of would keep our cool. Not much choice when it comes down to it. Panic and die.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad he wasnt bear food. Because a mad mama bear would have killed him for sure.

What kind of weapon was used?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump for rifle type.

Btw, handguns have worked on bears in the past, but again, it all depends on the caliber, where you hit, and your overall ability to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Mama bears are not to be trifled with... sent an email inquiring about the disposition of the cubs, etc.

Interesting to mull over what would have been the preferred weapon of choice...

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Gotta know the gun used...

Very nicely handled.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks, dog! brought the bear right to daddy....holy shit!
ETA - without the dog,the guy probably would have had zero warning, no time to get a shot off.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
thanks, dog! brought the bear right to daddy....holy shit!
ETA - without the dog,the guy probably would have had zero warning, no time to get a shot off.

Without the shooter the dog would probably be dead. I can tell you it is amazing how fast they are. From what he is describing the bear narrowed the distance between them pretty quickly with the dog cutting behind a bush probably an evasive maneuver from a rapidly closing predator.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#12]
A bear at full gallop can reach amazing speeds.  They are sprinters so they cant maintain any kind of speed for long.  They are also amazing climbers will easily get up into a tree.  So trying to use a tree for cover will not work well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#13]
cubs left behind, Mak-90 took care of business...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a feeling it was an AK type of rifle.  My first AK was a Mak-90, and I like it better than the AKs I got later with real grips and all.  Shame I sold it.

AFAIK bears can't keep up speed for shit going down hill though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Mama bears are not to be trifled with... sent an email inquiring about the disposition of the cubs, etc.

Interesting to mull over what would have been the preferred weapon of choice...

Under the circumstances, I wonder if Fish & Wildlife (or whomever) can raise them to release to the wild, or if they are destined for a zoo.  Assuming they are caught, that is.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't know how much of a hassle it is dealing with game commission on that sort of deal...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#17]
What did he do with the bear? Rug, coat, or food?  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:03:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What did he do with the bear? Rug, coat, or food?  

Didn't say (although it can get mighty lonely in the woods...)

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I have read that small dogs in bear teritoty often run for help bringing the bear to the humans, & then it's a mess. Large dogs often fight & disuade bears from attacking their humans.

All turned out well in this case. Imagine a green peacer with a bag full of granola & a small dog.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have read that small dogs in bear teritoty often run for help bringing the bear to the humans, & then it's a mess. Large dogs often fight & disuade bears from attacking their humans.

All turned out well in this case. Imagine a green peacer with a bag full of granola & a small dog.

I live in a remote area that attracts alot of campers and other city dipshits. They wander around in the woods as if it is a sunday walk in the local park. I am really surprised that none of them have been eaten. Well, at least none that I know of.

One just about had a hissy fit because my dog was running loose. In the National Forest for crying out loud! Her entire family was strung out over about 150 yds with the smallest kid trailing back 50yds behind everyone! And she's worried about my fucking dog? I told her  to go back to the city.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Very interested to hear the weapon and caliber.  Sounds like your friend knows what he's doing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:24:04 AM EDT
[#22]
The AK47, not just for humans anymore.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think most of would keep our cool. Not much choice when it comes down to it. Panic and die.

+1, In cases like this, there is literally no time to panic. The whole scenario plays out before you have time to think about it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Man, that was awfully well written. Wonder if it was true?  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Cool read.

You know that is one greatful dog!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top