Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/10/2005 3:10:23 PM EDT
Was at a party with freinds. Discussing where to get good deals and where we shop. I told them that Wal Mart usually has the best price on most stuff and I shop there often. They seemed shocked. They ask me sarcasticly that I must be kidding that I shop there. These are college educated people that make a lot of money. I aked them why don't they shop there? most of them replied that only the poor and lower class shop there.

Do you guys shop at Walmart?

Does it lower you social status to shop there?

When my children were small they had the best deal on formula and today they have great deals on motor oil  and filters.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#1]
what jackasses.  Wally world has the best prices on ammo, along with tons of other stuff.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#2]
They are a "last resort" for me.

Most of the stores are populated by beached whales, drooling morons and people that don't have 2 brain cells to rub together.

If I HAVE to go it's in-out and *gone*.  I don't have the temperament to deal with that much concentrated human stupidity for long.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think so.  Class isn't something you buy or where you spend your money.

My wife and I are college educated and have made a lot of money at our jobs and we shop there all the time.

Ask them if they shop at Target - it has a different perceived level of clientele.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like your "friends" are a bunch of snobs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Sound like a bunch of snobbish pricks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Geez ever wonder how Red China's Army got the $$$$$$$$ to modernize or their navy got it's "bluewater" capeabilitys $$$$$$$......??????
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yep, might need new friends.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Was at a party with freinds. Discussing where to get good deals and where we shop. I told them that Wal Mart usually has the best price on most stuff and I shop there often. They seemed shocked. They ask me sarcasticly that I must be kidding that I shop there. These are college educated people that make a lot of money. I aked them why don't they shop there? most of them replied that only the poor and lower class shop there.

When my children were small they had the best deal on formula and today they have great deals on motor oil  and filters.

Yes, and no.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I second that, i bull all sorts of things from Wally World from groceries to ammo
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Do your "friends" stick their little pinkie finger out when they sip their beer...?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#11]
while they are snobbish pricks, I don't shop there either.....Its nicknamed China Mart for a reason.....hell I'm even of Chinese descent, but I'm an American damnit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife has a masters and we can often be found there at 3 am in pajama pant's and tank tops.  College educated white trash?  I dunno.  If it is bad to shop there then I'm bad.  Hell I bought 500 rounds of .40 cal this morning so it better not be bad.  Dear god I need to start reloading.....
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I buy alot of my clothes there, shoes too. I believe in value per dollar and wallyworld has it. You could calll me cheap or thrifty. I make good money, i just don't like turning loose of it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#15]
NEWS FLASH.....................THIS JUST IN....................
YOUR FRIENDS ARE SNOBBISH PRICKS

........................FEATURE STORY AT 11:00.............

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#16]
So they will pay more for the exact same things... because they believe that they are better than people who shop at a particular store chain?  Man, that's a bigotry I've never even heard of.

I seem to recall something about " a fool and his money...".
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Sounds like you need new friends.

Like one's that arent stuck up, snobby and materialistic.

I shop there for little gidgets and doo-dads and whatnot.  And candy sometimes.  And cards, deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo....etc....
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Pfft.  Where else can you get brake cleaner, 500 rds. of ammo and a pack of Snickers bars in one trip?

G
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Paying more for a pos chinese screwdriver or some duct tape at Target will make me loved and desired? I'm not saying I'd buy a tuxedo there but those people are dopes.

If you haven't, read "The Millionaire Next Door." Interesting info about how most self made wealthy people are self employed business people who drive F150s and wear $ 35 watches. They are wealthier than most lawyers and doctors because they don't piss away their money "keeping up appearances."

Thats what I always say. The average millionaire doesn't live like the ones on tv.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Nobody ever got rich by paying more than they have to for their stuff.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, if you have to shop for bargains, is that not by definition a lower class of society?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I buy alot of my clothes there, shoes too. I believe in value per dollar and wallyworld has it. You could calll me cheap or thrifty. I make good money, i just don't like turning loose of it.

Also, Walmart is the only place where you can remove a Jeep top by means of knife.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I shop at Wal Mart all the time and I don't feel low class.
Buying food made and produced in the US isn't supporting China. It supports those farmers in the US!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Most of the stores are populated by beached whales, drooling morons and people that don't have 2 brain cells to rub together.

If I HAVE to go it's in-out and *gone*.  I don't have the temperament to deal with that much concentrated human stupidity for long.

+1
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Does shopping at Wal mart make you low class???

Well, it don't help any. You're just helping China takeover Taiwan when you do.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Paying more for a pos chinese screwdriver or some duct tape at Target will make me loved and desired? I'm not saying I'd buy a tuxedo there but those people are dopes.

If you haven't, read "The Millionaire Next Door." Interesting info about how most self made wealthy people are self employed business people who drive F150s and wear $ 35 watches. They are wealthier than most lawyers and doctors because they don't piss away their money "keeping up appearances."

Interesting aside here. Sam Walton (the guy that invented wal-mart) got rich off of it back in the 60's.  Went back then and bought a brand new pick up.  Then drove it till the day he died.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I shop at Wal-Mart but not for clothes.  That would be a little demeaning.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Low class?

No, it means you want to buy cheap ammo.

Every walmart customer that I see, I try to redeem them by saying "They are just here to buy cheap ammo." Then I get my ammo and leave, with giving myself the illusion that there is hope for mankind.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Geez ever wonder how Red China's Army got the $$$$$$$$ to modernize or their navy got it's "bluewater" capeabilitys $$$$$$$......??????

As if the products in the more expensive stores aren't made in China?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I don't think so.  Class isn't something you buy or where you spend your money.

My wife and I are college educated and have made a lot of money at our jobs and we shop there all the time.

Ask them if they shop at Target - it has a different perceived level of clientele.

do you mean Targé?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Yet you both are HERE.  Interesting...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes I do.

Good deals and great American company

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Do your "friends" stick their little pinkie finger out when they sip their beer microbrew (geeze, get it right)...?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Your friends are dumb for not shopping there. It is ignorant for one to waste money.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what I always say. The average millionaire doesn't live like the ones on tv.

Probably the wealthiest guy (I would guess he is worth many several millions) I know drives a Jeep Liberty and lives in the "nice suburban starter house" that he bought 30+ years ago in his thirties.

Yep, most people haven't learned that you get rich by keeeping most of your money. You have to live on less than you make to win. My fave saying is " You must do today the things that others won't do, so tomorrow you will have the things they won't have"
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I shop at Wal-Mart but no for clothes.  That would be a little demeaning.

Demeaning? What are you royalty?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#38]
A wise man once told me, "those who really have money don't have to flash it."

Like someone said before, most wealthy people get that way by using their money wisely. Most of the people that appear to be wealthy, are so far in debt they'll never get out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well.some of us are.

<-------------Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

His real name is probably Lawrence
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Hmmm, I hunt with one of the guys that works at WalMart in the sporting goods.  We started talking about guns, hunting and stuff.  He has taken me quail hunting a couple of times.  Guess I am real low life since I not only shop there, but I hang out with people that work there too.

I can buy the same Chinese widget for 6 bucks at Wally World, 7 bucks at Academy  or 10 bucks at Bass Pro.

Hmmmm what to do?

I will admit, my wife likes the clothes at Target. much better.  She gets stuff for the girls there since it  doesn't look at slutty as some of the Wally World stuff does.  As far as clothes go....if it isn't on sale, we don't buy it.

Ya know, I eat at Waffle House too.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As if the products in the more expensive stores aren't made in China?

+1

Just because the packaging is nicer, doesn't mean the piece in the box isn't Chinese...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I know 2 pro baseball players here in Houston who shop there.  
Now these guys do not have Hilton $$$ but they are worth many millions.
I would guess they have a bit more cash than these party people who look down at Wally World.
The best thing about class is that it cannot be bought.  
These people help prove this theory
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not royalty but also not wearing Kathie Lee Gifford clothes that look like either hand-me-downs from the set of 'Little House on the Prarie" or oversized sports jerseys.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I do some food shopping at a superwally . I also
buy DVD when the new releases are on sale the
first week . I also buy .22 ammo and VisiShot
targets .

It's just a matter of knowing what to buy there
and what to buy elsewhere .
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not royalty but also not wearing Kathie Lee Gifford clothes that look like either hand-me-downs from the set of 'Little House on the Prarie" or oversized sports jerseys.  

Well I guess I am just white trash then.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Shopping at Walmart does not make you low class.  Frugal maybe, and smarter than most with a dollar, but not low class.

The wife and I usually shop at the local high end grocery store; but we've started to do some grocery shopping at Walmart as the prices can be 10 to 50%, per item, less than the high end chain.  We've found that for fresh items, fruit, veggies and the like, the high end chain has a significant advantage.  But for dry goods, Walmart's buying power has a real advantage.  

And, where else can I buy a box of spaghetti and a box of Winchester at the same store???

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Hmmm, I hunt with one of the guys that works at WalMart in the sporting goods.  We started talking about guns, hunting and stuff.  He has taken me quail hunting a couple of times.  Guess I am real low life since I not only shop there, but I hang out with people that work there too.

I can buy the same Chinese widget for 6 bucks at Wally World, 7 bucks at Academy  or 10 bucks at Bass Pro.

Hmmmm what to do?

I will admit, my wife likes the clothes at Target. much better.  She gets stuff for the girls there since it  doesn't look at slutty as some of the Wally World stuff does.  As far as clothes go....if it isn't on sale, we don't buy it.

Ya know, I eat at Waffle House too.

Look more of that "moneyed trash" Howdy neighbor  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
So they will pay more for the exact same things... because they believe that they are better than people who shop at a particular store chain?  Man, that's a bigotry I've never even heard of.

I seem to recall something about " a fool and his money...".

+1
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#50]
These stories about rich people living modestly depress the hell out of me.

"A cheap man can be rich but then what's the point?!"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top